Computer Form Filling With Word

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebreather3

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last year and wanted to fill my secondaries on the computer. I was appalled by the lack of resources (including a worthy guide) on the subject of form filling using Word. Granted there were posts about 'trial and error' methods but I was looking for something better and reliable. Ultimately I scoured the net and combined different methods to form a set of instructions that I used to fill ALL my secondaries with ease and accuracy.

Luckily I stored those instructions and found them recently. I just thought I'd share them with pre-meds here if nothing else than to provide an alternative for the type writer and expensive form-filling software.

The Schools I applied to mostly had black and white forms so I would scan them in, fill in the data and print the computer version. I found that to be easier and there wasn't much difference between the original and printed version of the forms (for black and white). Of course the real pain is when they give you fancy colored original secondary forms printed on special paper which you cannot reproduce on the computer! That's the reason there was a separate guide (not written by me but found on usenet) to fill data on the original form provided.

I admit that the instructions might seem convoluted and tedious (hey I have a heavy computer background so that's to be expected :) ) and though I used the process with success, no one I know has used it and so it hasn't been "verified". Nevertheless they were just sitting on my HD so I thought I might as well put them up. Who knows, they might benefit someone!!

Anyway here's the guide;

<b>http://members.lycos.co.uk/formfilling/</b>

Don't worry, I'm not from the UK :) (they're just a bit better web hosts). A drawback now is that I haven't used these instructions in over 8 months so I can't really address questions on specifics (please! I'm trying to put that horrid application process behind me :D )

Oh yeah, and I did get multiple acceptances and School starts this month :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

firebreather3,

Hi! I just tried your method and its AWESOME! Thanks!!! One think you might add is that you can get rid of the box by going under Format Text Book > Colors and Line...

Good luck at medical school this year!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

Thanks for heads up! That is a fairly crucial step that I forgot to add so I updated the guide :)

And good luck to you and all the other pre-meds taking the August MCAT and/or applying this year.

If anyone creates working templates please please please offer them up here. I would do some myself, but it's gonna be difficult for me to get to a scanner. My request is University of Maryland's secondary.

Thanks much!