Computer or written NBDE part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on which one should I take. I'd have about three weeks longer to study for the computerized version since you can take it whenever you want. Anybody taken the computerized version?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your total allotted study time if you were to take the written? 3 weeks longer may not be as beneficial as you might think if you already have 5+ weeks to study. General concensus around here seems to be that 3-4 weeks of SOLID studying (8-12 hours/day) is ample time to do very well on the exam.

On the flip side, while the computerized does cost $100 more, you would get your score back 2x as quickly as with the written. Also, where are your nearest Sylvan testing centers? For example, I was VERY excited about the computerized exam until I discovered that the closest testing center was 25 miles away. No big deal, except for the fact that it *could* take me 2-2.5 hours to get there during morning traffic.

ItsGavinC said:
What is your total allotted study time if you were to take the written? 3 weeks longer may not be as beneficial as you might think if you already have 5+ weeks to study. General concensus around here seems to be that 3-4 weeks of SOLID studying (8-12 hours/day) is ample time to do very well on the exam.

On the flip side, while the computerized does cost $100 more, you would get your score back 2x as quickly as with the written. Also, where are your nearest Sylvan testing centers? For example, I was VERY excited about the computerized exam until I discovered that the closest testing center was 25 miles away. No big deal, except for the fact that it *could* take me 2-2.5 hours to get there during morning traffic.

I would have about 2 weeks to study for the written. I have 2 sylvan centers within 20 minutes of my apartment. Isn't NBDE curved? How do they curve it if it is on computer and people are taking differnt exams?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our dean of student affairs worked on the comitee that computerized the DAT and he said don't touch the NBDE for at least 2 years because of all the problems that happen when it is new on the computer. They had people who had to retake it and all kinds of weird stuff. Better to play it safe he said.

dc-10 said:
I would have about 2 weeks to study for the written. I have 2 sylvan centers within 20 minutes of my apartment. Isn't NBDE curved? How do they curve it if it is on computer and people are taking differnt exams?

It is curved, and it's based on the scores of those who have taken it in the previous 3 months.

2 weeks might be a bit short for study time, although I think you could fit it in if necessary. A great portion of your study plan is going to depend on the education you received at your school, along with the knowledge base you already have. Did you do excellent in your courses? If so, you may be further ahead than you think you are. If you did poorly and barely got by, then you might need the extra weeks of study time just to build up a strong knowledge base.

And yes, there will always be problems with initial phases of products and programs, but those who have taken the computerized NBDE and posted here said they've enjoyed it. That includes those who took it from December-March in the beta testing phase.

I am an International dentist and am planning to take part I pretty soon....what is confusig is whether to go in for the written or CBT......I am really confused.....has any one of you taken the CBT yourself.....please pm me....thanks....

Hi,
Has anyone taken the CBT..part1???..I would like to know..is the computer version any easier than the paper based?
I have 2 sylvan centers within15- 20 minutes of my apartment.
Isn't NBDE curved?
How do they curve it if it is on computer and people are taking different exams?
Also do they give scrap paper in case that you need it especially for DA?..in case you need to write or draw something before you answer?
Does the questions those that you have left unaswered show up after you have come to the end of one session?..
Kindly if someone has any info ..please do post..
How soon can one register and take the exam? Computerbased?
Also if you have already applied for paper based can you change it to CBT ?
Thanks
Toothzone :confused: