Computer Science vs Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Better return of investment? Less loan lower pay. More loan higher pay. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't want to stir anyone up. I equally like both careers. I haven't shadowed a Software Engineer, but I've shadowed a General Dentist so far and I liked it. Also, I've taken the entry CS classes and they weren't too bad. Just want to be well informed before getting into 250k debt

A piece of advice:
Commitment to healthcare/dental careers needs passion. Why? It WILL wear you out if you are not in love with what you are getting yourself into. The amount of sacrifice one has to do during school and at future work place is mind numbing. Both professions are rewarding in terms of financial security, there is no doubt about that. How much depends on you. BUT, finances shouldn't be your main concern. It should be you and the life style you see yourself comfortable with for the rest of your life.

All of my childhood friends are MDs now and I have seen first hand how much dedication it takes to even continue the path to be a physician. Same applies to dentistry. My finace is an MD and after decades of studying and research with dedication I sometimes need to motivate her to continue and not give up due to the amount of workload she has. You have to love helping others and THIS be your main reason to choose this career.

As for software engineering, I have worked with at least 10 (PhDs, Masters or less) in my previous workplace. It is a completely different life style. The majority work for a firm, with a fixed salary for the rest of their lives. Pay can be average to six figures depending on where you work. If you have an introvert personality , are comfortable with desk work, and are a fan of tech you might enjoy this path. It also can wear you out due to the amount of time you should spend working on projects. You can also work for yourself and develop software on your own at home and be innovative.
So take financial thoughts out of the formula when you are thinking about these two fields, and think about future you doing each. Loans will be paid in the first 5-10 years easily, that's the next 30, 40, 50 years that counts.

Whichever makes you happier, is fit for your personality, and you see yourself doing for the rest of you life is the one you should choose. Shadow more, whichever excites you is the one. You live once, right?

And last piece of advice, do not let anyone discourage you after you made your decision. Focus ahead and ignore the noise.

PS: I officially feel old :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A piece of advice:
Commitment to healthcare/dental careers needs passion. Why? It WILL wear you out if you are not in love with what you are getting yourself into. The amount of sacrifice one has to do during school and at future work place is mind numbing. Both professions are rewarding in terms of financial security, there is no doubt about that. How much depends on you. BUT, finances shouldn't be your main concern. It is you and the life style you see yourself comfortable with for the rest of your life. All of my childhood friends are MDs now and I see first hand how much dedication it takes to even continue the path to be a physician. Same applies to dentistry. My finace is an MD and after decades of studying and research with dedication I sometimes need to motivate her to continue and not give up due to the amount of workload she has. You have to love helping others and THIS be your main reason to choose this career.
As for software engineering, I have worked with at least 10 (PhDs, Masters or less) in my previous workplace. It is a completely different life style. The majority work for a firm, with a fixed salary for the rest of their lives. Pay can be average to six figures depending on where you work. If you are have an introvert personality , are comfortable with desk work, and are a fan of tech you might enjoy this path. It also can wear you out due to the amount of time you should spend working on projects. You can also work for yourself and develop software on your own at home and be innovative.
So take financial thoughts out of the formula when you are thinking about these two fields, and think about future you doing each. Loans will be paid in the first 5-10 years easily, that's the next 30, 40, 50 years that counts.

Whichever makes you happier, is fit for your personality, and you see yourself doing for the rest of you life is the one you should choose. Shadow more, whichever excites you is the one. You live once, right?

And last piece of advice, do not let anyone discourage you after you made your decision. Focus ahead and ignore the noise.

PS: I officially feel old :/
Thanks for the lengthy response. Is your wife an attending yet? Does she still have a heavy work load as an attending if she is one?

Thanks for the lengthy response. Is your wife an attending yet? Does she still have a heavy work load as an attending if she is one?

She is an IMG research fellow in radiology. She is applying for residency this coming cycle. But she has worked abroad as an MD for 3-4 years before coming to the US. As for the research, she works about 8 hours at the clinic, comes home and works another 3-4 hours on the data, presentations, abstracts, etc for publications. So 12 hours work for research.

I have another friend who is a resident at Emory and he told me that he has to be in the clinic 6am-8pm. So 14 hours. And it rotates to night shifts as well. 8pm-10am being on-call. And he loves what he is doing. He is married and his wife is also a resident at Emory.

I personally can't imagine myself working like that. Dentistry is more flexible in terms of work schedule, which is nice.

Just want to be well informed before getting into 250k debt

Move to TX, right now, and set up residence there. You'll thank me when your application cycle comes.

Reactions: 1 user
Move to TX, right now, and set up residence there. You'll thank me when your application cycle comes.
Mississippi, West Virginia, and Alabama all appear to have cheaper in state tuition than Texas.

The three TX schools combined only enroll 30% of IS applicants. 30%! West Virginia's lone dental school, on the other hand, accepts 60% of its IS applicants. If one were to move to a state specifically for its low in-state dental school CoA (as is occasionally mentioned on here), it'd make more sense to move to WV (60%) or AL (45%) than to TX.

I've always found it to be a head scratcher that so many numbers-obsessed SDNers completely ignore the fact that these states not only have lower tuition than TX, but better odds of acceptance as well.

Mississippi, West Virginia, and Alabama all appear to have cheaper in state tuition than Texas.

The three TX schools combined only enroll 30% of IS applicants. 30%! West Virginia's lone dental school, on the other hand, accepts 60% of its IS applicants. If one were to move to a state specifically for its low in-state dental school CoA (as is occasionally mentioned on here), it'd make more sense to move to WV (60%) or AL (45%) than to TX.

I've always found it to be a head scratcher that so many numbers-obsessed SDNers completely ignore the fact that these states not only have lower tuition than TX, but better odds of acceptance as well.

Fair enough- my point was that TX schools, or any of the other cheaper IS schools will help OP the debt below 250K.

It's prbly just that most ppl would rather live in Texas and attend a quality school in a good location.

After some years pass. An Average dentist > average Software Engineer?

Edit: Average dentist who owns his own practice

Last edited:
It's prbly just that most ppl would rather live in Texas and attend a quality school in a good location.
It's probably because people see that Texas has 3 schools and think this increases their odds of acceptance. That, and they have preconceived biases against MS, AL, and WV. Apparently, UAB Dental is the top funded school for research. I'm sure many are unaware.

Source: http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/grantsandf...talSchools/GrantstoDentalInstitutions2015.htm

Last edited: