computer spec in dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that we get computers from dental schools.
Does anyone know of the spec options we get? (especially for Midwestern, but I also wanna know what other schools have)
And if the computer gets virus and need to be formatted, would we be able to get the programs required for classes again? I am asking this because if the program can be reinstalled, I think we should be able to use our private computers and just install the software separately instead of getting another computer that has the program pre-installed.

Members don't see this ad.

Not all schools give laptops but I'm sure they all have minimum requirements that they want your laptop to have.

At OU for example, the campus is a Mac campus and they suggest you get a Mac but they tell you what you need to do if you have a PC. They don't assist with the laptop cost at all, however.

I heard that we get computers from dental schools.
Does anyone know of the spec options we get? (especially for Midwestern, but I also wanna know what other schools have)
And if the computer gets virus and need to be formatted, would we be able to get the programs required for classes again? I am asking this because if the program can be reinstalled, I think we should be able to use our private computers and just install the software separately instead of getting another computer that has the program pre-installed.

I have not been accepted to dental school yet, but when I used to work for my old company, they used to hand out laptops to some of thier employees (not to keep but to use until you quit).... If anything were to happen to the laptop, you send it back to them, and they give you a different one. I am assuming dental schools that give out laptops have an I.T department that takes care of all the maintenance cause they know the dental student is too busy to go around fixing computers.

Members don't see this ad :)
For Midwestern, we had a choice this year of either a Sony, Dell Latitude, or macbook. There was no price difference ($1200 for any choice), and the amount was billed as a fee so that financial aid could cover it. In terms of speed, reliability, and student satisfaction, the best computers have been the macs. I myself have a dell and am perfectly happy with it. The Sonys have had the most issues with crashing, problems with power cords, etc. If your computer has an issue during the 4 years of school (except for physical damage), IT will give you a loaner while they fix your computer. If you break your computer, it has to be sent to the manufacturer (but i think you do still get a loaner). IT has every computer preinstalled with the programs we need for school, and to my knowledge they won't install them to your own private computer. Hope this helps!

I would go for macbook. It's better IMO.

Depends on the school's specific requirements. UNC has a specific model new students are required to purchase. I am happy with my current laptop, but gotta spend ~$2k on another one.

Exactly. Why would one settle for a PC that is less reliable and cheaper when a Mac is readily offered at no additional cost ... :confused:
By the way, what makes Mac more stable and reliable? I heard that Mac never gets virus, spywares, or pop ups.

By the way, what makes Mac more stable and reliable? I heard that Mac never gets virus, spywares, or pop ups.

Seems to me like you answered your own question there, buddy...

Mac has roughly 6% market share of operating systems where as Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7) make up roughly 92% market share. The other 4% are other smaller ones like Linux, etc.

There is just no sense in making a virus for an operating system that will only infect a maximum of 6% of all computers. It makes more sense to attack Windows operating systems because there are WAY more computers running Windows out there.

I have a Macbook Pro (as of Nov 2009) and have no virus/spyware protection and have had no problems with slow downs or sluggish performance. It's very stable and doesn't have the random hiccups that my Windows laptop always had.