Computer vs Paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble adjusting to reading and answering AAMC VR on a computer screen, as opposed to EK 101, where I can circle, underline and cross things out.

any advice on how to adjust from paper to computer screen?

Members don't see this ad.

I am having trouble adjusting to reading and answering AAMC VR on a computer screen, as opposed to EK 101, where I can circle, underline and cross things out.

Practice. Also, I've always felt like marking up the passage is indicative of over-thinking the passage. This will just lead to over-analyzing followed by beliefs that the question is ambiguous when really it's not. The goal, I think, should be to simply understand it as a whole.

practice on the computer, yes. but if you're going to keep using EK materials, make sure that if you must map/make short notes/whatever, do it on a separate piece of scratch paper and leave your EK passages pristine. stop circling/underlining/crossing things out on the page. just stop. That way, you'll at least keep your notes separate from the passage, just as it would be if the passage was on a computer screen, where you can't mark it up as much.

i think i use it more as a way to keep myself focused; not so much as highlighting important information.

i find it tough to sat focused on the CBT passages. i just feel like i need to hold them.

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh..i'm in the opposite boat. using EK is difficult for me because i love the computer so much. if it helps, just run your finger across the screen while you're reading even if it looks silly. it IS hard to transition to a completely new medium sometimes =(

Yes!!! I had the same problem. You can try to reduce the contrast on the screen to make reading a bit more natural. The bigest thing..Practice Practice, Practice on the computer screen with the AAMC's. Even with the old test you have already done. I read over old text just to get the hang of it...several dozen times. Try using both paper and computer when reviewing material as well. Just make small notes on paper when you need to. You are not alone...Good Luck studying! :thumbup:

Oh yea...if it helps just get up close to the screen and read it like a book. Use scratch paper to underline sentences when you need. The spacing on the MCAT VR is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It takes supreme concentration and motivation, but im sure you have tons of that.

Practice. Also, I've always felt like marking up the passage is indicative of over-thinking the passage. This will just lead to over-analyzing followed by beliefs that the question is ambiguous when really it's not. The goal, I think, should be to simply understand it as a whole.

Same here. By the end of it all of the passage was yellow. I say avoid the marker unless you want to underline the major defining lines in the passage. ( that express opinion or give topic)

i think i use it more as a way to keep myself focused; not so much as highlighting important information.

i find it tough to sat focused on the CBT passages. i just feel like i need to hold them.

you had to only adjust the monitor's display. By using a main adjustment button, you can adjust the display on your monitor.