Computers at U of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddiebliss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, if anyone is a current student at UC, I'm looking for advice on what kind of computer is the best to have over there...Mac or PC, desktop or laptop? I'll be starting there this fall, and I'm looking for a new computer to replace my old beat up laptop...any input would be great! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. If you want a computer, just buy whatever you want. There are plenty of computers to use at school, so you don't really need a laptop to bring to school with you. Besides, every student has his/her own laptop in the Micro/Path labs anyway (but they can't be taken out of the labs). I own a PC, because I like having a computer at home. It's totally up to you what you want to do.

Let me rephrase my question. (1) Do current students at UC feel that it is a good idea for one to have his own computer, or are there sufficient computing resources on campus that one can get by without one's own computer? (2) If one were to get one's own computer, which operating system (Windows or Mac) would be more compatible with the school's existing system, eg, does the school only use PCs, and therefore would it be in my best interest to also get a PC? (3) Does anyone use a PDA in the first 2 years, or just when they get to the clinical years? Thanks

I don't think owning your own computer is NECESSARY... there are plenty of computers at school. I'm pretty sure all of the computers are PCs. I also don't think a PDA is necessary the first 2 years (this is for med school in general)... some people do have them, but again, it's personal preference. I have no use for one now.