Concealed Carry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, any of you carry a gun for personal defense? What is your weapon of choice?

Open Carry may be coming to my State soon.

Members don't see this ad.

glock27-500x372.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
So, any of you carry a gun for personal defense? What is your weapon of choice?

Open Carry may be coming to my State soon.

HK USP .40cal. Hollowpoints in order to save the ER docs a wasted case.

Now Kahr PM40. Used to be Sig P229, but it was a pain in the neck to carry around.

Contrary to the beliefs of some, I believe my gun should fit my manner of dress, not the other way around. If it's not on me, it's useless. Something is better than nothing.

Where I can't carry, I have pepper spray.

Now Kahr PM40. Used to be Sig P229, but it was a pain in the neck to carry around.

Contrary to the beliefs of some, I believe my gun should fit my manner of dress, not the other way around. If it's not on me, it's useless. Something is better than nothing.

Agreed:

derringer.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)

Kahr_PM40.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpiTJlufFdI

John Pierce, cofounder of OpenCarry.org, is a second-year student at Hamline University School of Law in St. Paul, Minn., and holds an M.B.A. from George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.
The phrase "open carry" refers to the act of law-abiding citizens carrying a properly holstered handgun in plain sight, wherever it is legal to do so, as they go about their daily lives. This includes such mundane tasks as driving to work, walking the dog, grabbing a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or buying a book at Barnes & Noble. Those who choose open carry are just going about their business while armed, just as do the 6 million-plus Americans who hold concealed-carry permits. The only difference—open carriers have taken their jackets off

Guns: The Great Equalizer for Women
by K. Priscilla Jones Tuesday, June 02, 2009
Carrying a gun reduces a woman’s risk of rape and injury.

For women, guns are the great equalizers. They are our best means of physical resistance and they increase our odds of escaping rape or injury. We try to minimize risks in life as often as possible, but when that fails, and our choice is between resisting and being a victim, a woman’s best option is to resist with a gun in her hands.

Of course, a gun by itself is useless. To be effective, it must be held by someone who knows how to operate it. Firearm training is essential, as is frequent practice at the range. But there is one thing that is even more important than physical skill at arms—mental preparation. From a young age, my father drilled two firearms lessons into my head. First, don’t aim a gun at anyone unless you have the intention to kill them. Secondly, if you do fire your weapon, you must shoot to kill, not shoot to wound. Always aim at the center of body mass to stop an attacker, not at their kneecaps to try to disable them, because in a high-stress situation, you will most likely miss.

* * * * *​

This mental preparation cannot be overstated. A woman who carries a firearm must make the decision well in advance of using it that, should she need to protect herself, she will brandish and, if necessary, fire it. This is a life-changing act not to be taken lightly. But then, so is rape.

Fortunately, research shows that only about 2 percent of defensive gun uses end with the user pulling the trigger. The majority of the time, just the fact that the gun poses a credible threat terminates the attack. Research also shows clearly that violent crime rates, including rape, are reduced when more law-abiding citizens carry concealed handguns. There is no woman more confident in her own safety than one who is skilled in the use of the handgun, concealed in her purse or hip holster.

Being armed is not for everyone. It will not prevent every attack, even if you are always armed. However, it clearly results in a dramatic reduction of risk. Isn’t that all we can really do, anyway? I urge women to seriously consider carrying a firearm for personal protection. That’s equality that will keep you both alive and safe!

Safety tips for women:

1. Make the conscious decision to protect yourself at all costs
2. Be aware of your surroundings
3. Choose your friends, lovers, and activities wisely
4. Don’t get drunk except in the safest environments, for your judgment will be clouded
5. Take a firearms safety training course
6. Target practice at a local gun range frequently
7. Familiarize yourself with your firearm
8. Obtain a concealed weapon license
9. Carry your loaded firearm with well-deserved confidence
10. Avoid gun-free zones

Walther PPS in 9mm. Single stack so it's thin and easy to wear IWB. Not small enough for pocket carry though so debating something like the LCP for times when I need something smaller.

You in Florida? Keeping my eye on the open carry bill, I think it passed it's first sub-committee last week. Though I still think I'd conceal most of the time I still support the option.

SIG Sauer P232 SL, 380 ACP. Stainless steel slide with tritium sites, aluminum frame, rubber grips. The only problem with this piece is that it's a tad heavy. But there is nothing like a SIG, and I'll gladly take a little extra weight in return for accuracy and reliability.
http://deepsouthguns.com/dsguns/images/P232-Stain-detail-L.jpg

Been a while since we've had a gun thread.

I'm still carrying my Sig P220 Carry. Single stack .45 acp 8+1 capacity. Everywhere I go, except on the military base where I work, because I'm safe there. (Wait, I seem to recall one of my med school classmates shooting a bunch of people on a military base not too long ago ...)

For the moment, California has made my caliber decision because of its stupid "high capacity" magazine ban. I figure if I'm limited to 10 or fewer rounds, they might as well be big ones. When the CA highcap ban falls, I may try out a Sig P226 (9mm).

I have a Ruger LCP also. It's not my daily carry. 6+1 of .380 from a short barrel is a fine backup plan. I've never had any trouble concealing my P220, even in the summer when it gets up past 100 degrees here. My inexpensive Galco summer comfort IWB holster easily, easily conceals it even if I'm wearing just shorts and an untucked T shirt. But I'm very tall and thin; I guess people built differently might have more trouble concealing it.

It's a lot more slow and awkward to draw the LCP from a pocket than a normal size gun from a holster.

It's also a lot harder to shoot the LCP accurately. Inside 7 yards it's probably OK, but there will be no failure drill involving head shots unless the guy's literally on top of you.

I've become sort of un-infatuated with the LCP since acquiring one. (And being in CA I had to jump through some hoops to get one, since it's a non-roster gun.)

My wife's gun is a Sig P239 in 9mm. I think it's superior in almost every way to the LCP. It won't fit in a pocket, but it's pretty small and I think anyone who's willing to invest in a decent holster and make little bit of effort to dress around it ought to be able to conceal it very well.

think i'm going with a glock 26 - love my 17.

how do you guys like to carry? ie what's your favorite holster/site?

I have an IWB and OWB holster for the Sig. Both by Galco. The OWB is easier to draw from and is what I wear if I'm carrying my Sig. I don't open carry unless I'm at the range, or at home. I just cover the gun and holster with a thick shirt or an open jacket (with the gun at about the 4-o'-clock position).

I have an IWB by Blackhawk for my Kahr PM40. Like in the past few days when it has been cold, I slip the Kahr into my jacket pocket. It's a little big for my pant pockets, but slips into the jacket very easily. If I'm not wearing a jacket, I use the IWB holster as designed. The gun/holster conceals very easily, even under a light shirt. I have the magazine with the pinky extension in the gun. It's just easier to grip quickly with that, and I have small hands (I wear size 6.5 gloves). So you can get an idea of how small the Kahr really is.

I don’t know what it is about the Glocks, but I find them to be astoundingly uncomfortable to hold. It feels as though the handle is slanted backward too much, i.e. it is less upright and perpendicular to the frame/slide than it should be.

In addition to my SIG P232, also own a P226 and a P228 - two guns that are quite comparable to the Glock 17 - and they are exceptionally comfortable to hold and shoot. As much as I’d like to own a Glock, I just can’t bring myself to spend money on a gun that I know will never feel comfortable in my hand. Still though, I respect the brand. SIG and Glock together have quite possibly cornered the market on quality pistols (SIG more so than Glock).

Ruger LCP and a Taurus PT-145 (.45 ACP).

Regardless if Texas ever ratifies open carry, you wont see me doing it...ever.

I am the guy in the business that the bad guy DOESN'T know is armed. :)

I don't know what it is about the Glocks, but I find them to be astoundingly uncomfortable to hold. It feels as though the handle is slanted backward too much, i.e. it is less upright and perpendicular to the frame/slide than it should be.

In addition to my SIG P232, also own a P226 and a P228 - two guns that are quite comparable to the Glock 17 - and they are exceptionally comfortable to hold and shoot. As much as I'd like to own a Glock, I just can't bring myself to spend money on a gun that I know will never feel comfortable in my hand. Still though, I respect the brand. SIG and Glock together have quite possibly cornered the market on quality pistols (SIG more so than Glock).

Having Shot and owned many brands of pistols/revolvers how can you leave HK and Smith and Wesson out of any discussion involving "quality" pistols? Many HK owners will match their HK of choice against any Sig.
Ditto for the newer models of Smith and Wesson.

Yes, I like Glock and Sig as well.

I have a Hk P2000 9mm and keep a Springfield XD9 in my vehicle. Since most of my experience came from shooting 9mm in the military, I prefer to stick with my comfort zone.

Ruger LCP and a Taurus PT-145 (.45 ACP).

Regardless if Texas ever ratifies open carry, you wont see me doing it...ever.

I am the guy in the business that the bad guy DOESN'T know is armed. :)

Yeah, open carry never made much sense to me, unless you're a cop or if the whole point is to be visibly armed. I can't think of any circumstances where that'd be my objective.

California is a may-issue state, where many areas are essentially no-issue unless you're rich or famous. Loaded open carry is illegal. So there's this odd movement of unloaded open carriers where people get together with their unloaded holstered guns as a form of protest. All they seem to accomplish though is freak people out which isn't helping the cause.

Having Shot and owned many brands of pistols/revolvers how can you leave HK and Smith and Wesson out of any discussion involving "quality" pistols? Many HK owners will match their HK of choice against any Sig.
Ditto for the newer models of Smith and Wesson.

Yes, I like Glock and Sig as well.

Good point. I completely forgot about H&K. Although I’m not a big fan of guns with “composite" frames. Glock is the only one I like. And even Glock I can’t seem to get comfortable with.

But come on, there is no gun that matches SIG in quality!

Yeah, open carry never made much sense to me, unless you're a cop or if the whole point is to be visibly armed. I can't think of any circumstances where that'd be my objective.

California is a may-issue state, where many areas are essentially no-issue unless you're rich or famous. Loaded open carry is illegal. So there's this odd movement of unloaded open carriers where people get together with their unloaded holstered guns as a form of protest. All they seem to accomplish though is freak people out which isn't helping the cause.

I thought loaded open-carry is legal everywhere, except in certain locations.

No state as far as I know has the right to deny anyone ownership of a handgun. And if you can own it, you can carry it in plain view. Am I mistaken on this point?

No state as far as I know has the right to deny anyone ownership of a handgun. And if you can own it, you can carry it in plain view. Am I mistaken on this point?

It's state dependent, yes? No open carry in NY (city) for example... though that would make for a great 4th installment of the Bourne series. :D

Here's a map...

http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

I have/prefer the gun you opened the thread with: the Glock 27. Back home in AZ we already have the concealed carry ability (without permit).

Open carry isn't legal everywhere. The CA legislature is even trying to ban unloaded open carry.

The irony is that doing so may force them into explicit shall-issue CCW territory (which they HATE the thought of) ... because SCOTUS has essentially ruled via Heller & McDonald that some manner of carry is a basic civil right, subject to reasonable restriction. If the state bans all form of open carry, then continued discretionary issue CCW almost certainly falls outside the realm of reasonable.

California is a weird place. The weather's nice though.

Open carry isn't legal everywhere. The CA legislature is even trying to ban unloaded open carry.

The irony is that doing so may force them into explicit shall-issue CCW territory (which they HATE the thought of) ... because SCOTUS has essentially ruled via Heller & McDonald that some manner of carry is a basic civil right, subject to reasonable restriction. If the state bans all form of open carry, then continued discretionary issue CCW almost certainly falls outside the realm of reasonable.

California is a weird place. The weather's nice though.

They got you with the 70 degree February, didn't they?

Yeah ... that and the food.

It's mid February and my peach trees were covered with blossoms a week ago. The fields and orchards within 1/4 mile of my house have roadside stands with better food than it's possible to buy anywhere else I've ever lived. I swear the deli at the Mexican grocery store has better Mexican food than anyplace I've been in Mexico.

The pool's still 53 degrees though. I might have to wait until April to go swimming.

I grew up in California, left because the military told me to, and I'm back on military orders. When my time is up I doubt we'll stay. I could stomach the extra 20% in state taxes (income + sales) if the nanny state wasn't careening toward bankruptcy while wasting money left and right. The gun laws are getting unscrewed slowly but surely ... it's everything else that will drive us out of California.

Whatever suits the occasion. ;)

weapon_rack-01.jpg

Is that an H&K MP-5 in the upper right corner? If so I'll take one please.

I'd love just to have the chance to fire a few clips at the range. Got to try an Uzi on full automatic a few years ago. The clip didn't last but a few seconds.

I have the Glock 27 and love it; loaded with Cor-Bon polymer tip rounds.

The Glock 19 (9mm) / 23 (.40) is nice if you think the grip on the subcompact line -- 26, 27, 33, ... -- is a little too small for your hands.

Can be a little tricky to keep from printing through a shirt, especially if you're carrying OWB, but an IWB holster -- something like the C-TAC, maybe -- does a much better job of it if you don't mind going the IWB route.

I'll be back in LA next week for meetings. And I'm going to head out to Runyon Canyon every morning without fail (the high road hike). Aside from that hike...notsomuch. I have 70+ degree weather every day of the year almost, it's overrated. I long for SEVOs winter pics!!! :)

D712

Buying this gun with 2 extra clips for the glove box tomorrow. Was just followed home by highly suspicious driving through neighborhoods that followed me in a complete circular path over 4-5 miles. Had to call 911 and they eventually drove off when they realized I was taking them in circles and not going home. Getting a conceal permit Monday.

Pretty scary. A home invasion method of choice is to follow you into your garage. Keep your eyes open.