Conceptual Learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueryNeurology

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how they studied for things that were concepts heavy? like Step 2 CK? I'm doing a lot of Anki but I'm worried that it's mostly just rote memorization again. What different methods you used? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I never put anything concept-heavy in Anki. The card would slow down my reviews too much, and flash cards are not good for concepts.

I would talk through the concepts with my study group once to twice a week, or try to explain it to my husband (he is a very patient man) and if I could explain it to an artist like him, I felt I understood it well.

If I was having a really tough time with a concept, I would try to find a real-world application to bring it to life - like a patient vignette, pubmed article, or a practice question stem and answer.

Reactions: 1 user
explain to yourself out loud. Explain to your cat/dog. Sleep on it, ask for it to come to you in a dream, find different texts that cover same concept - a simple change in description can make all the difference in understanding.

Reactions: 1 user
I've always lived with the idea that if you can't teach it, you don't know it. Practice teaching the concepts to your boyfriend, girlfriend, S/O, your dog, whomever will listen. It is said that St. Francis of Assisi delivered his sermons to the animals of the forest. So there you go.

Reactions: 1 users