Concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkuczek2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. My name's Tom, and I've recently graduated high school and about to start college. I got a 23 on the ACT and a 3.4 GPA. I got accepted into some pretty good schools (ISU, NIU, UIC, DePaul, Waitlisted Marquette and got in). After countless hour talks with my counselour, and talks with trusted adults, for the May 1st deadline, I chose ISU (Would've been Athletic Training Major), but later on backed out due to financial reasons (Parents make a lot of money, it seems.. I've had good grades, but didn't get enough $$$ from Fafsa. Would've paid around 14-16k a year for ISU, NOT what I want to go into PT school with AT ALL). So, this is where my concern is. I decided to enroll into Oakton Community College in Des Plaines, Illinois, a respectable junior college, where I would do the following:

- Play Soccer (Pointless to say, but I'm currently starting my season.. and the week before it, I sprained my ankle. I'm not laying down looking at it and thinking, I'll be taking care of people like this, or even a lot, a lot worse), Get through some Pre-Reqs for PT school early, get some early observation/volunteer hours before I transfer and move out to a bigger school, find a PT Aide job around (Plenty of hospitals/clinics/etc where I live)

Is it smart in a sense to get those hours in as early as possible, but my mind is really, really set on becoming a PT. I've been looking a this forum for the past month, and I got to say, it is very top notch, and I feel all of you have given some great advice and outlook for my future in the profession.

Also, after my two years at Oakton (I'll be paying 5.5k for two years of schooling which all will be paid off during my two years, so less debt will be during my PT schooling), I'll be looking into transferring into one of the three:

- Northern Illinois University (Has a Physical Therapy Program, and is good, since I have friends going into the same program, or at least trying to. Would be a Pre-PT major, and then apply to their school)
- University of Iowa (Yes, I researched. It is a very, very good PT school, and it'll give me that competitive urge to do really good. Would be an Athletic Training Major, which I feel the hands on experience, plus the necessary reqs can do me some good)
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (With friends at the school attending the Kinesiology program, they had nothing but good to say about it. I'd be majoring in it, as well as being a Pre-PT.)

Those are my transfer plans, with one of those three unless with time, and changes in my mind, comes a school I'll really love to spend the rest of my undergrad + grad experience. For now, I ask questions. Do you think this is a respectable route? If by all means you give negativity, it's fine I respect it, but I feel with less debt, and with the Oakton route giving me more of a reason to try even harder, to transfer into a college I love, and then with the same urge of trying really hard to get into a PT program I absolutely dream of, I can do it. Is going to a community college before a bigger school going to be looked lower at? Has anyone tried the same thing before, or is in it now? I know a lot of you are going to respectable schools, and I wish you all the best of luck in achieving your desires and dreams, as I will try the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Tom:

First of all I don't know what your concern is. You're just not sure which route to take. I wouldn't say you're concerned. But you've come to the right place.

Are you a resident of Iowa or Illinois? I'm assuming Iowa.

Here's what I tell all high school graduates:

1) Don't go to school unless you know what you want to do. It seems like you know. ATC isn't a bad job, but you have to consider opportunity, need, passion, amount of schooling, etc.

2) Go to community college for two years. $5500 for two years is so cheap it's ridiculous. Even in-state tuition at most colleges costs more than that. Take all your gen-Ed classes there. Classes are smaller anyway. No, graduate schools don't care where you took your classes.

3) State in-state for school. If you're in Iowa, don't go to Illinois for school. You'll get the same education for 3x the cost in Urbana or wherever. Stay in state.

4) Plan on graduate school. You've already done that. Good.

5) Get extra-curriculars. Work provides money but not a lot of quality experience. I would volunteer, accumulate hours in PT settings, play sports, and be part of organizations.

Don't forget to get to know your professors well. You'll need one LOR from them.

I wish I had your outlook when I was 18. I could have saved myself a lot of time and distress.

Kevin

Ultimately do what will make you happy, but I WISH I knew I wanted to go to PT school when I was just coming out of highschool, because I would have for sure done one of the 3+3 programs that you can find around at different schools. Maybe try looking at those, as you will have less time in school and more time making a PT's salary to help pay of debts. Just something to think about.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I started at a four year, then transferred to a community college and had a much better experience for much less money. The schools you mentioned are great to transfer to. You definitely made the right choice.

I didn't look into the 3 + 3 programs at all, actually. I wanted to save all the money I can, which I feel with the community college route I would. I wouldn't really call it a concern, I'm just confused on how I'll do all of this after community college, but I have a lot of options on my mind, and even after reading a lot of topics on this site. I'm a resident of Illinois, yes. I don't want much debt at ALL. A lot of my friends are leaving for school, and ask me.. Why aren't you? Well, save money now, for then I still get my college experience in two years, but I need to get closer to teachers much quicker, but then save a lot of money. Yes, I'm looking a lot far ahead..

But the whole community college is respectable in your terms, right? I know people come back to CC to do some pre-reqs, but it's still good to start at a CC to work my GPA to its full potential for then more scholarships, and even less debt for PT school. I'm looking at this a smart way, right? I don't know how much debt all of you will have. I start my freshman college fall semester on August 20th, and calculating to let's say..

$5,500 for my two years at Oakton = Get an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts as they said. (If I maintain a 3.5 GPA, or higher, I can get scholarships in the Honors Program for at least 13k around, so that'll pay for all the tuition to let's say NIU, or Urbana-Champaign, which will leave me for paying dorming/books/meal plans those two years, with as little debt possible before I apply for PT schools)

Questions I ask now:
- As freshman did any of you already go into observing/volunteering clinics, etc and where did you start?
- Is my mindset and path I am willing to take respectable in your eyes from those on here already well on their way to the dream profession, or am I just thinking too much for an incoming freshman?

Questions I ask now:
- As freshman did any of you already go into observing/volunteering clinics, etc and where did you start?
- Is my mindset and path I am willing to take respectable in your eyes from those on here already well on their way to the dream profession, or am I just thinking too much for an incoming freshman?

Lots of people (including me) started the first two years at a community college to save money. I think it is considered a very respectable thing to do, especially with the quickly rising costs of education these days. It was great to graduate with my bachelor's with no debt at all. I really don't think you'll regret going to community college. Actually, I felt that the most effective and dynamic teachers I had in college were at community college. Also, the smaller class sizes made learning a much more enjoyable experience compared to university classes. I'm really impressed with your level of planning ahead, and I think you are making great decisions that you will really benefit from far into the future.

In terms of observing, it doesn't hurt to start now, especially to make sure that PT really is what you want to do. I would also suggest, like Kevin did, to get involved in other extra-curriculars, like clubs or volunteering in the community, as these types of experiences are really important to PT programs.

Good luck with everything!

Thank you for an answer that reflects to your personal experience, as well. I'm actually looking forward now to the route I chose, no matter what anyone says on why I didn't choose to leave for college, etc. Thanks for thinking I made a great decision. Good luck with all you're doing, as well!

Physical Therapists, as well as clinics are always welcome for observing and/or volunteer hours, yes? I got an Accelerated Rehab right by my house I'd like to observe/volunteer/physical therapist aide(?) at. Also, I had an idea but I don't know if it's that good of an idea, to be honest, or if it's counted even as an observance for physical therapy. Let's say I want to help volunteer at the high school I just graduated at with the Head Athletic Trainer, and the soccer team I used to play on. Even if it doesn't necessarily count as PT observance hours, it too would look great on let's say an application for a PT school?

Physical Therapists, as well as clinics are always welcome for observing and/or volunteer hours, yes?

They are, but volunteer opportunities aren't always available. Start looking for inpatient hours now, because those are hard to find. Also go to skilled nursing and assisted living facilities for observation hours.

Let's say I want to help volunteer at the high school I just graduated at with the Head Athletic Trainer, and the soccer team I used to play on. Even if it doesn't necessarily count as PT observance hours, it too would look great on let's say an application for a PT school?

It would be a good extra-curricular activity but you can't count it as observation hours.

Kevin

Tom -
I don't think there is anything wrong with the route you want to go for. Looking back, I wish I had gone to community college first and then transferred instead of going straight to a university. Granted, I have no undergrad debt, but I could have saved my parents a lot more money had I did CC first, and that money saved could have been applied to PT grad school, which is often much more expensive than undergrad. So yes, save as much money as you possibly can because most PT grad schools are expensive, and they say it is not recommended to work during the PT program because of how rigorous the program is.
I don't think going to CC and then transferring will be looked down upon as long as you do well, I think you will be fine. I know plenty of people who first went to community college and then transferred to a 4 year school, graduated, and then applied to grad school for something health related, and they got accepted.
Starting your observation hours early would be great too because by the time you graduate and apply for pt school, you will have a ton of observation hours, which will look good on the application. Good luck.
I agree with Kevin, I wish I had the same outlook too when I was your age. I would have saved time, money, and stress if I did. So it is good that you are thinking about all of this early.

They are, but volunteer opportunities aren't always available. Start looking for inpatient hours now, because those are hard to find. Also go to skilled nursing and assisted living facilities for observation hours.

Sounds like a definite plan! I'll look onto it, and hopefully find some good place around to get that valuable experience. Any recommendations?

Thanks for all the tips, advice, and comments on my outlook. I want to be safe with this, and be able to get a lot over the way early, so later my route is less stressful, and more enjoyable. The whole transfer process is just what I'm a little worried about. My top two choice now lately have been University of Illinois and Northern Illinois University. Yes, depending on my grades, but.. is it better to go to..

1) University of Illinois (No PT School, Really Good Kinesiology Program, Has a Pre-PT Program, Highly Ranked Public School)
2) Northern Illinois University (Has a PT School, Pre-Physical Therapy Program, as well as Bachelor in the Health Sciences, Tier 2 of the National Schools, but a Good PT Program)

is it better to go to..

1) University of Illinois (No PT School, Really Good Kinesiology Program, Has a Pre-PT Program, Highly Ranked Public School)
2) Northern Illinois University (Has a PT School, Pre-Physical Therapy Program, as well as Bachelor in the Health Sciences, Tier 2 of the National Schools, but a Good PT Program)

It sounds like either of them will get you where you want to go, so I would pick the cheaper school. Don't get caught up in school rankings, as ultimately they don't matter all that much to PT schools. It's far more important to get good grades, wherever it is that you attend.

Thank you for all the advice. It is very appreciated. With Kinesiology as a major most likely in mine, as well as being a Pre-Physical Therapy Student, have any of you minored, or even majored in a Business with these at all? I have a goal to one day own my own clinic, but that's light years from now.. For now, I will just take your advice, and use it to the fullest. Thanks, I'll keep you all updated on how my journey goes from the beginning my freshman year starts in as little as two weeks.

Community college is a great starting place as others noted; smaller classes, make sure you are on a transfer track and the 4 year college accepts the CC credit. Stay in state. Save your money. Remember PT programs will want labs w/ the chem / bio / anat/phys. Keep that GPA up.

It's perfect that you are looking ahead. I started focusing while in jr. high. Did the observing the last 2 years of my undergrad, but did other volunteer hours in the communtiy at shelters, or chairity events, etc. Schools will want to see that you are "well rounded" and have a variety of experiences, extracurricular activities, how you get along in diverse populations, etc. Important for the future references from professors........don't just sit quietly in the back of the class. Make an impression, have open discussions w/ prof, office visit, emails, ask questions, do well. Make sure a couple key proff know you by name and face---in your major course of study.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum

Thanks! Definitely with more and more time I'm thinking more of staying in state for obvious reasons like financial flexibility. I'm liking NIU, even though some people talk bad about it, as well as University of Illinois, which is very respectable. I find myself fortunate to be given such amazing schools in my state of Illinois. In addition, thanks for the tips. I'm hoping all of my classes transfer over because I too spend a lot of time looking at transfer guides to schools I love and see myself transferring too (maybe I'm just a little freshman thinking wayyyyy ahead, but yes).

Best of luck to you too. Looking currently for good volunteer/observation spots, as well as PT aide jobs, but I'm currently have begun my soccer season, but as said, I sprained my ankle.

Sorry for my double post, but I was thinking, and I know for sure 100% you will all say what school you go to won't put any effect on if you get accepted, I understand. So, I chose my schedule today for my community college, and they asked where I'd like to transfer to. Initially thinking I put down University of Illinois, my dream school, and am asking myself, it's good to let's say go to community college two years --> University of Illinois two years, and then apply to PT schools, or would you people rather just transfer straight away to a school that which has a PT program as it is in the school (Graduate School), like a Northern Illinois University? I don't know.. Just thinking. Hopefully this ain't annoying..