Concerned about my surgery clerkship grade.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JimKimSlim

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I just started M3 year and finished surgery as my first clerkship. Considering the crazy hours and intense shelf contents, I am happy to get a passing score on the clerkship (missed HP by 1 question). However, I can't help but feel nervous about whether a passing grade on surgery clerkship will negatively affect my chances of matching to ophthalmology. I expect to do better on future shelf exams, as I am getting used to NBME style questions.

Also, this might be an ignorant question, but would getting a PASS on surgery clerkship mean no chance of getting AOA membership during 3rd year? My pre-clinical grades have been excellent (15th percentile), and my research, volunteering, and leadership have been more on the competitive sides.

I am probably paranoid, but any advice would be helpful.