Concerned Canadian IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorzip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into a medical school after 2 years of doing undergrad and I came to know that there are actually undergraduate requirements to be able to get a license to practice in some States. Also combining the fact that I will be a Canadian IMG trying to Match in the US, I realize I have put myself at a significant disadvantage. How would residency program directors view this situation? Anyone else in the same boat as me? Any advice from you guys will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Its common for grads from international schools to not have an undergraduate degree, as medicine training is often a 6 year pathway right out of high school in many countries. This is not common in the Carib, though. How much will it affect you? It's hard to say. You could look up all of the state licensing boards and see which require an undergrad degree: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html. If you do, please generate a list and post it on SDN to save the next person some work. However, remember that what's needed for a training license can be different than what's needed for a full license, so although there might be a state that you don't qualify for a full license in, you might still be able to train on a training license (if the state has such a thing).

In any case, there's nothing you can do about this now. So, you're better off focusing on what you can do something about. That would be:

1. Your USMLE scores -- you want them to be as high as possible, and you need Step 2 early.
2. Clerkship grades - as high as possible
3. A SubI at a US teaching program in the field you're interested in -- do as well as possible.

Thanks for the advice. Could you explain the difference between a full license and a training license?

Full license is considered an unrestricted license. You've passed all licensing requirements by completing the necessary time (# of years of residency training) and you are able to conduct yourself without supervision. Being a IMG, you'll have different timelines to complete when compared to your AMG colleagues.

A training license is what it sounds like. You're in training under supervision by a residency program. Some states have this, some do not.

Limited residency spots in Canada more than likely. A lot come down here to train.... unless you want to do FP in Saskatchewan.

Can I ask what your motivation to leave Canada and come south is?

Precisely what Shikima said. Even getting into a Canadian medschool is easier said than done. I feel I have a better chance in the US

Full license is considered an unrestricted license. You've passed all licensing requirements by completing the necessary time (# of years of residency training) and you are able to conduct yourself without supervision. Being a IMG, you'll have different timelines to complete when compared to your AMG colleagues.

A training license is what it sounds like. You're in training under supervision by a residency program. Some states have this, some do not.

Saskatchewan? I can only imagine haha.

Back to the licensing requirements, you mentioned IMGs have a different timeline compared to AMGs, does this pretty much mean IMGs have a longer residency?

Saskatchewan? I can only imagine haha.

Back to the licensing requirements, you mentioned IMGs have a different timeline compared to AMGs, does this pretty much mean IMGs have a longer residency?
No. It means that you will have to complete more years of training to get an independent license. AMGs in most states need only 1y of residency to get a license. Many states (see the list aPD linked to above) require IMGs to have 3 years. You can't practice independently (read: moonlight) unless you have a full, independent license.

I got into a medical school after 2 years of doing undergrad and I came to know that there are actually undergraduate requirements to be able to get a license to practice in some States. Also combining the fact that I will be a Canadian IMG trying to Match in the US, I realize I have put myself at a significant disadvantage. How would residency program directors view this situation? Anyone else in the same boat as me? Any advice from you guys will be appreciated

If you have summers off consider taking some courses that can help you complete the degree. Talk to the academic advisor for your undergrad program and see if they would consider giving you credit for some of the med school course work you did (ie clinical rotations can be used in lieu of an internship, and anatomy ect can be used for electives).
Good luck.