Concerns regarding higher ed academic integrity violations from instructors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ready4you

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first time posting on these forums. I'm a 2nd year HIM student at a large tech school in south carolina. I'm looking for advice on how to best approach a situation I find myself in where the instructors, department chair of HIM program and the Dean of the nursing and health sciences department presumably are actively colluding to avoid accountability in delivering fallacious disease process content to students in the online HIM program. I am unfamiliar with the administrative workings of colleges and I have pursued the only recourse that I am aware of, the student grievance process, to no avail. I was hoping someone on this forum might know how best to proceed with my problem following reading my version of events.

While taking a Human Pathology test, I took issue with the answer choice provided for the true/false question "All tapeworms are acquired by eating uncooked or inadequately cooked meat." The instructor had the correct answer choice being true and stood by the answer choice even after I brought it to the attention of the instructor that this was a factual error due to the fact that tape worm infestations are not all acquired through the ingestion of undercooked meat. As an example, tape worms infestations can be acquired through products contaminated with feces or directly consuming eggs or larvae, and even included medical literature (of which there is a considerable amount on the topic) supporting the claim. The instructor response was less than ideal, stating that "according to the book" there was nothing there to support altering the test answer choice. I had hoped that the instructor of human pathology would have known about disease processes of one of the most common types of morbidity in the world without having to "look it up" or at the very least, have knowledge from experiences in the field subject matter therefore I responded stating my concern over the quality of instruction given. Instead of responding directly to the issue of contention to support why she continued to support her position without factual evidence, the instructor passed me off to the department chair who then proceeded to not take my concern about the quality of instruction seriously. I asked basic questions that any customer would want to know about an individual performing a service: "What qualifications do this person have to teach this particular class?" which were responded to with dis-contempt and left unanswered.

I then filed an official complaint with the department chair. I contested that particular test question should be altered or stricken from student grades based on principles of adhering to academic integrity and truthfulness in instruction. I proposed that the test question be rephrased in the future to be more in line with the medical literature and that future students be given appropriate instruction to counter the vagueness of the textbook on the matter. I even went further to continue linking government and credible literary sources to the department chair on the topic, however the department chair denied the request stating that the question was appropriate and supported by medical literature, of course without including the "vast" literature that she claimed supported it. I requested clarification, and she stated that the issue was not serious enough to be concerned about as pathology is not a main concern of Health Information Management duties. I was left with no impression that there had been any investigation either by the instructor or the department chair into the subject matter.

I protested this issue with the dean and explained the issue and how this was of importance to the academic integrity of the program for instructors to always give truthful information to students and how I felt that the academic integrity of the program was being put in jeopardy by instructors failing to self-correct or properly investigate and vett instructional content. I was met with a carbon copy response that the department chair made, and my concerns were dismissed. I then asked the dean to explain how she could come to a rational conclusion that "All tapeworms are acquired by eating uncooked or inadequately cooked meat." and under what factual basis she used to determine that the department chair and the instructor were correct in allowing students to believe this to be true through affirmation of the test content. Instead of offering a supporting rationale for her decision to dismiss my concern about the factual basis of the course content, Her response was "I'm not going to argue content related to tapeworms. I appreciate your knowledge however, find your accusations of the faculty as unethical and lacking academic integrity unfounded. I am not discussing this further with you" and sent me further into the bureaucracy of the administrative chain. I suppose the hope here is that my concerns will continue to be dismissed.

For me the experience utilizing the complaint resolution process at the school has been a nightmare and completely unsatisfactory. Furthermore this incident has shattered my trust at obtaining a quality education at the school's HIM department and has also cause me to be more distrustful of HIM instructional content and the administrative oversight coming from the dean and higher levels of the institution. As a consequence I now put extra scrutiny on assignments and essentially "teach myself." As a paying customer of instruction, I expected more. If I cannot trust the instructional content given by professors at the school or the quality control process to make sure that instructional content is valid then why should I be paying the tuition costs incurred to support their salaries and administrative processes? Unfortunately transferring at this point is not an option as there are certain costs and articulation problems involved that prevent me from simply jumping ship to another institution, else I would definitely seek instruction elsewhere.

There are other unsettling and concurrent issues. I have been bringing up the my academic integrity concerns about the HIM department in classroom discussions and including additional issues that I've noticed. For instance, almost all the subjective grading assignments such as short answer or discussion questions are assigned grades of 100. It seems statistically impossible for that many assignments to be marked "perfect." I believe that instructors are not going through assignments rigorously enough to challenge students or check student's mastery of the material. A fellow student brought up concerns that the courses were not including enough relevant practical training assignments to meet the job descriptions posted, and when I tied in my concerns about the integrity of the program to that discussion, the HIM department chair promptly deleted my post and sent me a threatening e-mail informing me "you should consider this an official request" to end my personal grievances with her and stop posting comments about the HIM program integrity, which I am interpreting to mean that she is going to try to take action against me in some manner, possibly attempting to trump up charges to warrant removal from the program, or expulsion from the school..

Members don't see this ad.

Is this your dissertation? I read "Hi all" and just quit reading. Good night everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I don't know why this ended up in a Pathology Residents/Physicians discussion forum on studentdoctor.net. That said, a bit of advice:

So I read your novella here, and I can empathize, slightly. I have fought with administrators over subjects like this. I once had a physiology professor - who specialized in lung physiology - put "lung capacity" when he meant to write "lung volume" in a test question, causing me to miss the question. With textbook in hand, I marched to his office, laid out my case, and he admitted that he was wrong. This was followed with "I'll fix it next year...93% of your class knew what I meant and picked the correct answer, so I'm not changing it."

This is - and it pains me to say this - one of those cases where you won't win on principle. You've tried the chain o' command, and you could pursue it, probably all the way to the University President or Board of Trustees. But in the end, I doubt you're not going to win this fight. It's one of those, "it will hurt me more to rule against the faculty member than the student" ideologies.

There are some battles worth fighting, and others worth letting go. I'm not saying compromise your principles; I'm suggesting that you remember this for when you become Administrator X or the faculty of University Y. Truth be told, your story is an allegory for modern Academia in many locales, but it doesn't have to be the mainstay. Learn from this, and move on.

By the way, no one ever responds well to the "what qualifications do you have..." question, unless you out-rank them. That's probably where you lost the argument, because you left the discussion of "one question being factually wrong" and transformed it into "one person disseminating factually incorrect information". That makes it personal, and deans/course directors/committees don't want to deal with that. Not to say you're necessarily wrong in asking for the qualifications, but in this system, it's not a great strategy.

Best of luck in getting this resolved!

Last edited:
First, I don't know why this ended up in a Pathology Residents/Physicians discussion forum on studentdoctor.net. That said, a bit of advice:

So I read your novella here, and I can empathize, slightly. I have fought with administrators over subjects like this. I once had a physiology professor - who specialized in lung physiology - put "lung capacity" when he meant to write "lung volume" in a test question, causing me to miss the question. With textbook in hand, I marched to his office, laid out my case, and he admitted that he was wrong. This was followed with "I'll fix it next year...93% of your class knew what I meant and picked the correct answer, so I'm not changing it."

This is - and it pains me to say this - one of those cases where you won't win on principle. You've tried the chain o' command, and you could pursue it, probably all the way to the University President or Board of Trustees. But in the end, I doubt you're not going to win this fight. It's one of those, "it will hurt me more to rule against the faculty member than the student" ideologies.

There are some battles worth fighting, and others worth letting go. I'm not saying compromise your principles; I'm suggesting that you remember this for when you become Administrator X or the faculty of University Y. Truth be told, your story is an allegory for modern Academia in many locales, but it doesn't have to be the mainstay. Learn from this, and move on.

By the way, no one ever responds well to the "what qualifications do you have..." question, unless you out-rank them. That's probably where you lost the argument, because you left the discussion of "one question being factually wrong" and transformed it into "one person disseminating factually incorrect information". That makes it personal, and deans/course directors/committees don't want to deal with that. Not to say you're necessarily wrong in asking for the qualifications, but in this system, it's not a great strategy.

Best of luck in getting this resolved!

Actually, I had a similar case where I was successful in appealing a question. It was a neuroscience exam that was ambiguous or poorly worded or could possibly have two correct answers, I dont remember the details anymore. The professor who wrote the question (well call him Dr. A) told me that it if made a difference in my final grade for the course, he would give me credit. Both of us figured one question would not make a difference. However, lo and behold, I actually ended up with an 89.something average for the course, which put me in high pass. However, if I had gotten credit for that one question, it would be enough to nudge me into an Honors grade.

I went to the course director (well call him Dr. Z) and he told me to forget it, that he was not changing my grade (he was a nice guy and said it in a nice way). I went to Dr. A and he remembered our conversation. I told him Dr. Z had told me that he wasnt changing the grade. Dr. A told me he would take care of it. Next thing I know, I get an Email from Dr. Z telling me that I got my honors grade after all. Dr. Z ended up going over everyone's grades and seeing whether or not that questions would have affected their grade. I was the only one affected.

squeaky wheel gets the grease sometimes..but it can also end up in the trash pile..so be careful

Ah, someone took the bait. I was actually curious to see how long this hilariously misclassified thread would lie undisturbed.

To the OP, I would say, don't take this the wrong way, but you are barking up the wrong tree. Your instructors are fine. I don't know anything about tapeworms and it doesn't matter if your professor is technically right or wrong. Famously, half of what they are currently teaching at ANY university is wrong anyway (the problem is that no one knows which half). As for why your essay scores are all 100... it probably matters very little what the scores are on these assignments, or what you say in them. The fact that you even turned them in is what is being graded.

If you are really this legalistic and argumentative, your career is dead in the water. As a 2nd year undergrad, in a field that I am sure is not looking to train iconoclasts, you are riding a bus. You can stay on or you can get off. If you make too much trouble the bus conductor will throw you off. Your education is not only about learning facts and having them evaluated. The bigger piece is learning professionalism--how to conduct yourself professionally and how to fit into the culture of your profession.

You are right that you get tapeworm infections from eating feces, but you got to just learn to move on. That's what separates the greats from the masses. If your boyfriend dumps you, you just gotta move on and get over it. Dwelling on it doesn't do any good. If you hit a shot out of bounds in the golf tournament, you got to block it out of your mind and get ready for the next shot. If you give up a game winning home run, you got to get ready for your next start.

To be honest you sound a little crazy. So the professor made a dumb question, you gotta just move on.

Hi all, this is my first time posting on these forums. I'm a 2nd year HIM student at a large tech school in south carolina. I'm looking for advice on how to best approach a situation I find myself in where the instructors, department chair of HIM program and the Dean of the nursing and health sciences department presumably are actively colluding to avoid accountability in delivering fallacious disease process content to students in the online HIM program. I am unfamiliar with the administrative workings of colleges and I have pursued the only recourse that I am aware of, the student grievance process, to no avail. I was hoping someone on this forum might know how best to proceed with my problem following reading my version of events.

While taking a Human Pathology test, I took issue with the answer choice provided for the true/false question "All tapeworms are acquired by eating uncooked or inadequately cooked meat." The instructor had the correct answer choice being true and stood by the answer choice even after I brought it to the attention of the instructor that this was a factual error due to the fact that tape worm infestations are not all acquired through the ingestion of undercooked meat. As an example, tape worms infestations can be acquired through products contaminated with feces or directly consuming eggs or larvae, and even included medical literature (of which there is a considerable amount on the topic) supporting the claim. The instructor response was less than ideal, stating that "according to the book" there was nothing there to support altering the test answer choice. I had hoped that the instructor of human pathology would have known about disease processes of one of the most common types of morbidity in the world without having to "look it up" or at the very least, have knowledge from experiences in the field subject matter therefore I responded stating my concern over the quality of instruction given. Instead of responding directly to the issue of contention to support why she continued to support her position without factual evidence, the instructor passed me off to the department chair who then proceeded to not take my concern about the quality of instruction seriously. I asked basic questions that any customer would want to know about an individual performing a service: "What qualifications do this person have to teach this particular class?" which were responded to with dis-contempt and left unanswered.

I then filed an official complaint with the department chair. I contested that particular test question should be altered or stricken from student grades based on principles of adhering to academic integrity and truthfulness in instruction. I proposed that the test question be rephrased in the future to be more in line with the medical literature and that future students be given appropriate instruction to counter the vagueness of the textbook on the matter. I even went further to continue linking government and credible literary sources to the department chair on the topic, however the department chair denied the request stating that the question was appropriate and supported by medical literature, of course without including the "vast" literature that she claimed supported it. I requested clarification, and she stated that the issue was not serious enough to be concerned about as pathology is not a main concern of Health Information Management duties. I was left with no impression that there had been any investigation either by the instructor or the department chair into the subject matter.

I protested this issue with the dean and explained the issue and how this was of importance to the academic integrity of the program for instructors to always give truthful information to students and how I felt that the academic integrity of the program was being put in jeopardy by instructors failing to self-correct or properly investigate and vett instructional content. I was met with a carbon copy response that the department chair made, and my concerns were dismissed. I then asked the dean to explain how she could come to a rational conclusion that "All tapeworms are acquired by eating uncooked or inadequately cooked meat." and under what factual basis she used to determine that the department chair and the instructor were correct in allowing students to believe this to be true through affirmation of the test content. Instead of offering a supporting rationale for her decision to dismiss my concern about the factual basis of the course content, Her response was "I'm not going to argue content related to tapeworms. I appreciate your knowledge however, find your accusations of the faculty as unethical and lacking academic integrity unfounded. I am not discussing this further with you" and sent me further into the bureaucracy of the administrative chain. I suppose the hope here is that my concerns will continue to be dismissed.

For me the experience utilizing the complaint resolution process at the school has been a nightmare and completely unsatisfactory. Furthermore this incident has shattered my trust at obtaining a quality education at the school's HIM department and has also cause me to be more distrustful of HIM instructional content and the administrative oversight coming from the dean and higher levels of the institution. As a consequence I now put extra scrutiny on assignments and essentially "teach myself." As a paying customer of instruction, I expected more. If I cannot trust the instructional content given by professors at the school or the quality control process to make sure that instructional content is valid then why should I be paying the tuition costs incurred to support their salaries and administrative processes? Unfortunately transferring at this point is not an option as there are certain costs and articulation problems involved that prevent me from simply jumping ship to another institution, else I would definitely seek instruction elsewhere.

There are other unsettling and concurrent issues. I have been bringing up the my academic integrity concerns about the HIM department in classroom discussions and including additional issues that I've noticed. For instance, almost all the subjective grading assignments such as short answer or discussion questions are assigned grades of 100. It seems statistically impossible for that many assignments to be marked "perfect." I believe that instructors are not going through assignments rigorously enough to challenge students or check student's mastery of the material. A fellow student brought up concerns that the courses were not including enough relevant practical training assignments to meet the job descriptions posted, and when I tied in my concerns about the integrity of the program to that discussion, the HIM department chair promptly deleted my post and sent me a threatening e-mail informing me "you should consider this an official request" to end my personal grievances with her and stop posting comments about the HIM program integrity, which I am interpreting to mean that she is going to try to take action against me in some manner, possibly attempting to trump up charges to warrant removal from the program, or expulsion from the school..

Last edited: