Concussion Assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lbergeson014

Reaction score
Hello!

Does anyone have a template or redacted sample of a concussion assessment? I am in the process of completing one for the purposes of baseline functioning with hopes to complete an additional one within a year to test for long-term impacts.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

Does anyone have a template or redacted sample of a concussion assessment? I am in the process of completing one for the purposes of baseline functioning with hopes to complete an additional one within a year to test for long-term impacts.

Thanks!

“Patient‘s profile was within normal limits, consistent with research showing no long term complications from an uncomplicated concussion. If symptoms persist, consider iatrogenic causes and refer for psychotherapy”

Reactions: 9 users
“Patient‘s profile was within normal limits, consistent with research showing no long term complications from an uncomplicated concussion. If symptoms persist, consider iatrogenic causes and refer for psychotherapy”

You forgot about the case of pending/possible litigation in the midst of failed validity indicators.

But yeah, I am generally not a fan of concussion clinics, at least how they are currently set up. WAAYYYY too much iatrogenic damage, especially with ST/OT get involved with their made up diagnoses. Vast majority of concussions simply need some education from a provider and some healthy expectancies.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is amazing to me how consistent and crystal clear the extant literature is on this topic yet people continue to emphasize 'post-concussion syndrome' in an outpatient who presents with uncontrolled sleep apnea, severe clinical depression/PTSD, excessive daily alcohol use (and insomnia) and, of course, subjective complaints of poor memory and executive functioning in his/her 40s/50s.

Reactions: 5 users
It is amazing to me how consistent and crystal clear the extant literature is on this topic yet people continue to emphasize 'post-concussion syndrome' in an outpatient who presents with uncontrolled sleep apnea, severe clinical depression/PTSD, excessive daily alcohol use (and insomnia) and, of course, subjective complaints of poor memory and executive functioning in his/her 40s/50s.

Well, while people chase pseudoscience and the PCS dragon, there will always be high paying IME work beating down my door.

Reactions: 2 users

This is a drum I keep beating in my clinic (that mild TBI doesn't usually cause residuals and the associated symptoms can usually be explained by mental health symptoms) and NO ONE listens to me.

Reactions: 6 users
This is a drum I keep beating in my clinic (that mild TBI doesn't usually cause residuals and the associated symptoms can usually be explained by mental health symptoms) and NO ONE listens to me.
This is related, at least in part, to the media's "coverage" of concussion. The supposed Concussion-->CTE-->Dementia relationship is set and dried for them, and thus the public/non-athletes believe this to be true as well. That Boston group and some others have done a clinical and public disservice via their self-promotion and over characterization of their research findings.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
McKee isn't that bad, she just doesn't push back on others blatant bad science. At least early on the biggest shyster was Bennet "I'll do anything for a buck" Omalu. Stern is likely following the money as well, he just doesn't make the outlandishly stupid statements that Omalu does.

Reactions: 1 user
The
The article, 'Reconceptualizing Rehabilitation of Individuals with Chronic Symptoms Following Mild Traumatic Brain Injury' from the journal Rehabilitation Psychology (2019, vol. 64, no. 1, 1-12) is a good read and a good one to point them to.

Reactions: 1 users
This is related, at least in part, to the media's "coverage" of concussion. The supposed Concussion-->CTE-->Dementia relationship is set and dried for them, and thus the public/non-athletes believe this to be true as well. That Boston group and some others have done a clinical and public disservice via their self-promotion and over characterization of their research findings.
This area is SOOO fraught with fraud and shysterism. I just saw a web page for The Concussion Group' who---for a price--- will conduct diffusion tensor imaging on pts complaining of PCS to 'document' the brain damage in the form of deviations in fractional anisotropy in their CNS 'due to the mTBI.'

Of course, a 2 min Google search immediately identified research documenting significant problems with fractional anisotropy in a clinically depressed sample compared to a non-depressed and no hx of TBI control group.

Reactions: 1 user

I LOVE this. It's like Van Halen's M&M rider. It is a great sign that the person has not read the DSM, which means they are not aware of the standards in their own practice area.

Reactions: 1 users
I LOVE this. It's like Van Halen's M&M rider. It is a great sign that the person has not read the DSM, which means they are not aware of the standards in their own practice area.
Usually it means any of the below or in combination:

1) this is a difficult clinical psychotherapy case with severe Axis I/II pathology and externalizing behavior and external 'locus of control' with whom I can't do anything clinically and who also had a concussion 10 years ago so I'm sending him to you for an evaluation with the expectation that you're gonna conclude that it's all due to 'his TBI' thus letting me off the hook (for no progress in therapy) and him off the hook (you don't have an anger problem, you're brain damaged an can't help it)

2) compensation $$$

3) classic victim-oppressor-savior dysfunctional dynamic

Reactions: 3 users

extant? lol You writing a publication? Just talk normal. lol