Conditional acceptance to top choice vs other acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I was accepted early this cycle by an IS DO school (PNWU) and then this week I got an email for a conditional acceptance at my top choice school (MSUCHM). I was thinking that the choice of where I would go would be really easy after hearing from MSU, either I would be accepted or rejected, but now I'm feeling really conflicted. The conditional acceptance is that I would have to complete a 1 year post-bac at MSU and would then be guaranteed acceptance the next year. I'm a reapplicant so I've already waited one year and I'm not sure that I want to wait another year, PLUS do another year in school. Basically I'm 50/50 in either direction so I need something to sway my decision. I'm not starting an MD vs DO debate, I'm trying to think out all other pros and cons and hoping to hear something I haven't thought of before.

No brainer, take the acceptance. Don't wast another year. Become a doctor and do what you have always wanted to do. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't see how a rural ER that sees 2-4 patients a day is going to hire strictly EM trained doc - doubt that will ever happen. The places I work (frontier medicine vs "rural") I cover FP clinic all day, do the 15 bed inpatient service, cover the little nursing home wing, and cover the ER. Don't see an ER guy covering clinic, do you? I cannot comment on metropolitan ER since I have never worked in a major city and would never want to. That's a whole different ball game. I don't do trauma as a rule and all places I work it's stabilize and ship, not be the hero and keep. Now my next job is going to be in a larger area in west Texas that has a shortage but it is fast track ER, not the "real" ER as I am not comfortable with lines, chest tubes, trauma, etc but I can do walk-in/urgent care all day every day. The ONLY reason I got this fast track job (they are paying me ER wages) is that I have lots of rural experience and kept patient logs of EVERY PATIENT I have seen for the past 4 years and was able to prove that I had the volume to be competent.

If you are a DO who want to be an ER doc, then do an ER residency. If you want to be jack of all trades and work in a smaller place then do FM.

Do you ever wanna just settle down and stay in one place? What job did you love or hate the most?

Do you ever wanna just settle down and stay in one place? What job did you love or hate the most?
I've tried. Can't do it. Hate the monotony. My home and kids are settled in Oregon. Every job has it's own dynamic. I love being the relief help, going where there are few or no regular doctors and really make a difference. When I start seeing the same patients over and over, it's time for me to move on. I knew I had been in Alaska too long when I started dreading seeing the same four drug seeking women in the ER EVERY SINGLE DAY. They would rotate days coming in with different ailments wanting narcotics to sell on the street. That was a time when I was the only one covering ER and I was becoming angry about being put in that position. I also knew I had been there too long when I knew who was sleeping with who, who had been married before, etc. Who all the exes and in-laws were since they all worked together at the hospital. It got tiresome.

I don't like being at a job that is really slow. I have had days where I spent more time reading a novel than seeing patients. The days really drag. I like being out there by myself doing my best to treat folks with the resources I have available. I like running both the clinic and the ER then I have access to CT, US and Xray and LAB right at that moment. I don't have to wait for scheduling, I don't have to beg and plead to fit someone in. It gets done how I want when I want and I don't have to hand off the case to anyone else. Nothing I hate more than being in urgent care, having a patient in front of me who needs to be in the ER and I have to ship them there when I would rather just take care of them myself but i'm stuck in a clinic or urgent care that doesn't have access to what I need. All in a day.