Conditional Acceptance with Completion of additional course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpringsHTTR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

have a little bit of a dilemma moving forward. I was recently accepted to an allopathic school based on the condition that I go out and get a B or higher in an upper level Biology course. I graduated back in December so I have been out of school for roughly 10 months during this application cycle. I have no issue taking another class and think it would be great to get back in the grind of studying but the huge issue comes with the financial cost of taking this course. Throughout college I was dependent on scholarships to help get me through while I paid the bills with my work salary. As of now because of the devastating cost of medical school applications and travel to interviews, I have no clue how I could muster up $1500 for a course. I'm not sure if there is any advice out there? Just looking for something..
Beneficial to tell the school of my financial circumstance?...

Wild card is I have another acceptance to a school I did like a lot which has no such requirement. Just doesn't feel right to choose it by default rather than thoroughly make a thoughtful choice if you know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are in a very interesting situation. Would this be required at a 4 year institution? Or can you take it at a community college which would be slightly cheaper (edit: significantly cheaper)?
Another suggestion would be (if you really like this school) cancel future travel plans for other schools and get some money back.
Also, as a worst case scenario you could take out a small private loan and pay it back slowly (interest rate around 6% I believe).

I'm curious to see what other more experienced members have to suggest. Good luck either way and congrats on your acceptances thus far!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The tough part they have said it must be at a 4 year institution period. It would have been really nice to save the money at a community college. I would consider a small private loan but my credit has been damaged by the debt from applications and travel.

Email the school your predicament and see if they will pay for the class

Reactions: 1 users
To complicate further my credit cards (got 2) are tapped out essentially.

Thanks to the Fee Assistance Programs wonderful policies (sarcasm) I'm in financial hell.
Can't you apply for another credit card? I mean it's not *ideal* but even if you get a crappy one, you'll just get a bit of extra money out when you're taking out your loan for medical school and just pay it off that way.

Can't you apply for another credit card? I mean it's not *ideal* but even if you get a crappy one, you'll just get a bit of extra money out when you're taking out your loan for medical school and just pay it off that way.
Wish it was that simple.. unfortunately I cannot.

If you have literally zero means of getting the $1500, then the only other option I can think of is getting a job... perhaps as a waiter/ess? You can easily make some good money (relatively) at a chain, like Olive Garden. Usually the university will also have the option to pay monthly installments, which would make the payments easier to stomach.

Might be a better option than taking out additional loans or applying for another credit card too since you don't have to worry about interest!

No idea if this is a real thing or not. But why not see if the school would cover the course, but then put the bill onto your tuition? That way your federal loans, if you have them, would cover the class.

If you have literally zero means of getting the $1500, then the only other option I can think of is getting a job... perhaps as a waiter/ess? You can easily make some good money (relatively) at a chain, like Olive Garden. Usually the university will also have the option to pay monthly installments, which would make the payments easier to stomach.

Might be a better option than taking out additional loans or applying for another credit card too since you don't have to worry about interest!

I have a full time gig. Work 50 hours a week. The pay is ehh.. With bills and rent it's tough. If they're able to break in chucks with a payment plan that could really help me! Maybe I should get a second job... I appreciate your response!

I guess the question I should ask myself and what possibly calls for a different post is if this school is worth it over the other. Can I pm you?

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea if this is a real thing or not. But why not see if the school would cover the course, but then put the bill onto your tuition? That way your federal loans, if you have them, would cover the class.
It's worth the ask! That's be great if they did.

How often is this sort of acceptance given? At one place I interviewed at I believe that I would receive this if they accept me because I am missing an Organic Chem II lab. (Not required for premeds at my undergrad).

Take a loan if you have to, $1500 is a drop in a very large ****ty bucket. Congrats on your acceptance also.

I think talking to admissions could help -- but I don't think I would expect them to waive the requirement for you. You're averse to loans for the reasons you mentioned, which means you either bail on the rest of your cycle to save money and pay for this class or you take your chances and save $1500 now. You'll have federal loans during medical school, so it's really a matter of floating $1500 between the time you pay tuition and the August 2018 disbursement.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You said you have another acceptance to a school you also like? If I had an acceptance and another school said "we'll give you another but we want you to take this class" I'd be like Nah, I'm good.

Reactions: 2 users
Is this a pre-req or other required class from the school's secondary? What was their justification for this?

I'm assuming it's biochem, which is like a soft requirement at some and an absolute requirement at others.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The tough part they have said it must be at a 4 year institution period. It would have been really nice to save the money at a community college. I would consider a small private loan but my credit has been damaged by the debt from applications and travel.
Considering that you have graduated and relied on scholarships for your college costs, this requirement strikes me as a possible form of economic credentialing which is self-defeating considering that most schools want to build a class representing all economic strata. Unless this school is one of the few that overtly states on their website that they are not friendly to CC coursework, or if your BCPM GPA is weak and they need you to prove success in the face of greater academic rigor, I think you have a basis for appeal to substitute a community college course and a reason to invoke your financial circumstance. Consider calling to make an appointment to speak with one of the deans if you want to proceed.

@Catalystik or it is a school willing to accept a great applicant who applied without a prerequisite, giving them a chance to attend anyway provided they meet the basic requirement. I don't think its "economic credentialing" if its a required class, and if the standard is that it be taken at a four year institution for all accepted applicants then it's just the way it is at this particular school. I think a call to the admissions office is necessary, but I don't think they're out of line asking for the class. The CC/University thing is a whole other pile, and even some of the schools frequently cited as not wanting CC credits don't actually seem to conform to that very strictly. I hope there is some wiggle room for you OP.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

@Catalystik some of the schools frequently cited as not wanting CC credits don't actually seem to conform to that very strictly. I hope there is some wiggle room for you OP.
I agree that schools in general leave themselves some wiggle room and don't state that they refuse CC credits any longer. OP has not provided all the details we need to make viable suggestions.

I agree that schools in general leave themselves some wiggle room and don't state that they refuse CC credits any longer. OP has not provided all the details we need to make viable suggestions.
Sorry guys for late response. So to give more details.. The class the want is Not a pre req. It's a strange deal where they require anyone who has taken a gap year or even half a gap year like in my case to take another course to prove they haven't lost a step studying and that they can be ready for rigor (at least this is how it is described)
So this is something that affects nearly all people who don't go in that direct path to medical school it seems. I'm assuming it has nothing to do with my science GPA which is very strong. Just a thing because I graduated in December and not this May.

I definitely will talk to them Monday and see what are my options. Also to factor in I do have another acceptance a a school I do like! They have no such requirement. I was mainly asking this question because I'm not necessarily ready to commit to one school over the other but I guess if this is going to cause that much trouble then I will end up going with school B.

I've refrained from saying the schools because I'm not sure if appropriate. But If helpful I can state them.

Looking at your post history, you are likely to have several options before April 30th. The school with the course requirement wants you if they've made the offer this early in the cycle. If you choose to accept an offer that does not have the course requirement you should inform the school when you decline the offer that the course requirement, which would have cost you $1500 cash was the deal breaker. if the school hears this often enough, they may rethink their strategy for assembling a diverse class with the chops to do the work. (In all likelihood, the course requirement is not proving anything except that you are willing to jump through hoops and it discriminates against anyone who is even the slightest bit "non-trad". I suspect the school ends up with more than its share of applicants who had no other option.)

Reactions: 3 users
It's a strange deal where they require anyone who has taken a gap year or even half a gap year like in my case to take another course to prove they haven't lost a step studying and that they can be ready for rigor (at least this is how it is described)
This sounds so bizarre, why do you think you like this school?

I have a full time gig. Work 50 hours a week. The pay is ehh.. With bills and rent it's tough. If they're able to break in chucks with a payment plan that could really help me! Maybe I should get a second job... I appreciate your response!

I guess the question I should ask myself and what possibly calls for a different post is if this school is worth it over the other. Can I pm you?
Sorry for the late response, but yes of course, PM me!

Wish it was that simple.. unfortunately I cannot.
This might sound really weird/be unbelievable, but I had a chem prof that made $400 - $500 a night working at Fridays [he was a PhD(!)].

To update.. The school met to vote on whether they would waive the requirement due to my financial situation. The vote was NO.. Disappointing... I was not looking for any special sort of treatment, just wanted a fair opportunity as someone who comes from a very low SES background and lives independently. Too bad for that school.

Last edited:
To update.. The school met to vote on whether they would waive the requirement due to my financial situation. The vote was NO.. Disappointing... I was not looking for any special sort of treatment, just wanted a fair opportunity as someone who comes from a very low SES background and lives independently. Too bad for that school.
I'm glad you tried, that you got a rapid response, and that you have another option.

Reactions: 2 users
That is very troubling in a process that is meant to be inclusive of folks that are from diverse backgrounds and SES. Would you be willing to share which school this is?

This might not be a viable option for you because I️ don’t know your current job or your background but I️ thought I’d suggest it just in case. Could you look into getting a position as a research technician starting ASAP and finishing before you start medical school? I️ can’t imagine anyone would hire someone for a bench lab for such a short time but maybe some sort of clinical research position. Most major universities allow employees to take courses for free (or a few hundred dollars) so you could take the required course there.

I would write directly to the dean as well as diversity office (who often have money) emphasizing
1) acceptance would like to go
2) the conditional requirement
3) the burden that this represents to the school's mission/policy to get URM/SES/Disadvantage/ etc
I will give it a shot! If all else fails I have another acceptance thankfully at a great school. But I will very clearly let them know what the deal breaker was if/when I decide to withdraw my acceptance.