Conference Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mvenus929

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to get a poster accepted for presentation at, say, AAP or PAS? I have no frame of reference, since everyone that I know has submitted an abstract has gotten accepted.

Obviously, much more difficult to get a platform presentation compared to a poster presentation, but that doesn't tell me whether essentially all poster abstracts are accepted or some smaller percentage.

Members don't see this ad.

How difficult is it to get a poster accepted for presentation at, say, AAP or PAS? I have no frame of reference, since everyone that I know has submitted an abstract has gotten accepted.

Obviously, much more difficult to get a platform presentation compared to a poster presentation, but that doesn't tell me whether essentially all poster abstracts are accepted or some smaller percentage.
I can’t speak to those specific conferences, but generally speaking, having people present posters at conferences is how the conferences make money. There is generally little advantage to turn down abstracts, they want you to come. They can always add more poster boards.

I submitted an abstract to a large conference and was pumped when it got accepted. It was a conference for a largely pediatric pathology but it was for adults as well. When I went to the conference and presented, I realized that there were like 700 posters. Cool experience but it kind of change my outlook on the poster presentations.

Members don't see this ad :)

AAP NCE tends to have a more limited poster presentation approach than PAS. PAS will accept as I recall about 1/2 of submissions for posters (someone can correct me if wrong on the current number, it's been a few years since I was closely involved in this). Generally if there is some reasonable science you can expect a good chance of acceptance. Case reports are less likely to be accepted. Is it valuable? Well, it is a chance to talk to people about what you've done and gain a lot of perspectives. It's easy for a trainee to get a bit disappointed at PAS if not too many folks come to talk to them at their poster, but even then, the act of preparing the poster has value in my view.