Conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having just returned from a fantastic conference with enough new research ideas to get me all the way to retirement (or so it seems) I thought I'd ask.

What is your favorite conference, and why?

I'm sure we'll all have very disparate answers due to various research interests, but I'd be interested to see where people are regulars at (or plan to become regulars at), and perhaps find out about some smaller conferences that we may not know about.

For the record, I was at:
Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco

It was heaven. Has everything from public policy to genetics and neurobiology, was just about the right size where there is always SOMETHING I want to go to, but I'm not deciding between 20 things I want to go to. Definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the topic next year (and not just because its in Ireland;) ).

Only other conference I've been to was EPA, which I found incredibly disappointing. I'll definitely be at ABCT this year since its "commutable", and though I haven't gone yet, I expect to start attending SPR (Society for Psychophysiological Research) pretty regularly since its very much in line with my interests and I've heard nothing but good things.

How about everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a great conference. The Society for Behavioral Medicine usually has a good conference. I've also done the American Psychosomatic Society's conference a few times. If you're interested in health psychology anyway.

I'll be attending the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis conference for the first time next week (intermediate track). Anyone been?

I've only gone to ABCT and like it. I think I need to stick to just one conference a year, and this will be it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've only been to a few others, but so far APS is definitely my favourite. While there isn't always a lot on my specific area of interest, there's plenty that's tangentially related and I love the hugeness of it. It also helps that all the talks are incredibly high quality.

I guess my answer is quite biased being that I am extremly involved in the APS so the APS has been my favorite convention thus far. I got to talk to Dan Gilbert, Beth Loftus, Eliot Aronson, Carol Dweck, etc..

I also presented and it was the greatest thrill I have ever had!

Coming in at a close second would have to be the Stanford Undergraduate Psychology Convention in which I did an oral presentation - so scary but nonetheless amazing. Ian Gotlib was the keynote speaker and I was amazed at his research. George Slavich also gave a little talk which I also found to be pretty amazing.

Haven't been to an APA convention yet - will be in August though but I love the intimate setting of the APS because everyone gives you a change to talk and network and for being an undergraduate that was really uplifting to me.

ABCT--Great place to meet people and network!

Poster deadline is coming up...

I just got back from EPA and I had a great time! Talked to several folks doing qualitative work like us and got some great ideas and insights, saw AMAZING talks (saul kassin rocks my socks, alice eagly, robert sternberg, i could go on. adele diamond. so fun!) i also met some folks doing interesting work congruent to ours, and there might be a collaboration opportunity there. the sharing of ideas, the exposure to new ones, and seeing others wrestling so skillfully with ideas i barely know how to appproach was awesome and inspiring. It was a nice size too -- big enough that there were always a few things i wanted to do, but not overwhelmingly so.

i might consider in the future the positive psych one, and since i do health, that as well.

how is APA, all? i imagine it's awesome, if overwhelming.

ABCT--Great place to meet people and network!

Poster deadline is coming up...

Yup, we're submitting one! I think I'm third author, but that may have changed.

My first conference will be MPA in May, then hopefully ABCT in Nov (if we get accepted and I can afford to go).

I also attended EPA this weekend and enjoyed it a lot. Will be at MPA in May, for the person that mentioned MPA...is it true Posters are only for Ph.D. students?? I found that strange.

Really want to attend the National Latino Psychological Association in October..does anyone know when submissions are due?

Jon

I've only been to AAS (American Association of Suicidology). I've gone the past two years. I think even once I go to others it will still be my favorite because its my research area and the size is very manageable. I'm not able to go this year though, sadly.

I think I will be with a group presenting at ABCT in November, so we'll see how that compares. :)

I also attended EPA this weekend and enjoyed it a lot. Will be at MPA in May, for the person that mentioned MPA...is it true Posters are only for Ph.D. students?? I found that strange.

Really want to attend the National Latino Psychological Association in October..does anyone know when submissions are due?

Jon

If you're in Psi Chi, you can present a poster in that section as an undergrad. That's what we're doing.

Jon

Went to MPA in 2001 & 2002 as an undergrad, presented a poster both times. I LOVE the Palmer House Hilton lobby! Afterwords, have a drink at The Big Downtown for me:laugh: (Its the restaurant around the corner with the "L" going around the ceiling).