Confessions of an Ex-Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank god I hate math.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for this post. As much as I may love medicine, I know that I love computer programming/biomedical engineering as well. I just don't know if the pain of going to med school is really worth it. I think that we are very similar OP, especially in the curiosity and interest department; only difference is that I can't really tell the difference yet between something that I am truly passionate about and wanting to spend the rest of my life doing, and doing something because I think it is "cool" or interesting to study or "romantic" (aka medicine).

OP: Awesome story. Thanks for sharing that. I wish everyone took a look at their options before launching into a particular career. It would prevent a lot of pointless agony. Working hard for a career that is a great fit is one thing. Slaving away because you don't know there are better options out there is really sad.

:thumbup:

This is what I am afraid of; not being where I am truly happy AND $200k+ in debt.

My state by the end of my junior year was more confused than anything. My application to medical school was together, and I could still easily see myself going to med school and being happy with the decision. The major change in mindset wasn't an amplification of the negatives of medicine, but a realization that I hadn't really explored other opportunities. A big barrier to this exploration was that, under only cursory consideration, most jobs appear to suck. My understanding of what it meant to be in "business" was closely approximated by Office Space. My understanding of what it meant to be in law was being buried in esoteric research ordered by higher ups. But a doctor, that was more easily romanticized. I could see myself repairing a faulty heart valve or pouring through texts trying to fit the symptoms together to arrive at a diagnosis...I could more easily see it as something challenging and rewarding. During the summer after my junior year I started to look at other options, and once I dug a bit below the surface, I could see how these other jobs could be interesting and challenging.

I don't remember at what point it was exactly, but the sum of my experience over the summer led me to the conclusion that I was not ready to commit to med school. I did not conclude that I never wanted to go to med school, just that I needed to explore before I put myself on that road. I felt that it would be difficult for me to dedicate myself completely to med school if I doubted it was the right choice. If I got out in the job world for a couple years and decided that medicine was definitely what I wanted, I would be better off with those few years of experience. I knew that if I went through the application process and got accepted, it would be difficult for me to explore other options during the process, and especially difficult to turn down an acceptance if I got one. I really felt that I would inadvertently mentally railroad myself into medical school, if I went through the process. I was also confident that I would able to find something to do for the next year, or two, or twenty that I would enjoy amidst the now seemingly vast set of possibilities – be it close to medicine, or far away. After exploring and coming to these conclusions, I decided I would not be applying to medical school this round.

:cool:

Thanks for that! It was long but a great read. :) I'm glad you've found something you really want to do, something that makes you very happy. And I wish you the best in it!

I also want to thank you because you've encouraged me to pursue what I want to try out before medical school. I've already set my mind to do it, but your post has added to the inspiration that I stick to it. I want to explore a whole different field, in the arts actually, and see where I go. I don't want to get into Medicine and keep having "what if" in my head.

As you said, and I quote, "I did not conclude that I never wanted to go to med school, just that I needed to explore before I put myself on that road...If I got out in the job world for a couple years and decided that medicine was definitely what I wanted, I would be better off with those few years of experience...be it close to medicine, or far away." :)

Thank you. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been lurking on these forums for almost the past year and this thread single handedly convinced me to come out from hiding and post. I don't mean the hijack the thread but I'll give a concise version of my story.

As a child I asked my parents about interest rates, bank accounts, stocks, things money related. After each question they answered, they woud follow with a 'You seem interested in this! You should go into finance!'. I take what my parents say seriously and so for the first 19 years of my life I imagined byself as being a 'businessman', ibanking only nothing else. In college I received high marks in business classes but I didn't really have a great motivation to keep going in business, at the time. A series of events would unfold soon after my first year after college which would change my mind about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I did some research and soul searching during a 1.5 year period in which I took a break from college and decided that I wanted to go into medicine. I'm getting the prereqs done for medical school now but there is still that little voice in the back of my head that says, 'What about finance? Do you really want to leave another 'what if' in here?'. Interesting how medicine and ibanking almost go hand in hand for some people.

Thanks for that! It was long but a great read. :) I'm glad you've found something you really want to do, something that makes you very happy. And I wish you the best in it!

I also want to thank you because you've encouraged me to pursue what I want to try out before medical school. I've already set my mind to do it, but your post has added to the inspiration that I stick to it. I want to explore a whole different field, in the arts actually, and see where I go. I don't want to get into Medicine and keep having "what if" in my head.

As you said, and I quote, "I did not conclude that I never wanted to go to med school, just that I needed to explore before I put myself on that road...If I got out in the job world for a couple years and decided that medicine was definitely what I wanted, I would be better off with those few years of experience...be it close to medicine, or far away." :)

Thank you. :luck:

That's great to hear! New college graduates are pressured through a number of factors to make a decision about their career very early. If you can, try out some passions that do not require 200k in debt.

Good luck.

Thanks for that lovely bildungsroman. Now, how about summarizing it for us in a few lines? Then people might actually read it.

Seriously. Jesus Christ OP, don't you know that this is the internet? Posts on the internet are generally brief with simple arguments, something along the lines of "I like chicken, it is yummy in my tummy".

Give an abstract if you're going to write an internet post that doubles as a manuscript. Again, Jesus Christ. :slap:

That's great to hear! New college graduates are pressured through a number of factors to make a decision about their career very early. If you can, try out some passions that do not require 200k in debt.

Good luck.

Forgot to say this last time this was bumped:
I'm glad everythings has worked out for you.:thumbup:

OP: Do the world a favor and write a book someday. Your writing skills seem excellent to me. Was a great read.

Hi Seadizzle,

I would like to thank you for the post. I myself had similar questions when I was in college. However, I forced myself to go to medical school anyway, despite enjoying math and physics much more than biology. Fast forward to today -- I'm in med school, but do not like the prospect of becoming a doctor. I cannot help but think of my cousin, who reports enjoying his career in investment banking and private equity. He states his enjoyment for math is applied to his work every single day, and I cannot get myself to stop being envious of his joy. Therefore, I would like to ask if you have some time to chat about your journey from applying to medical school to venturing into finance. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Seadizzle,

I would like to thank you for the post. I myself had similar questions when I was in college. However, I forced myself to go to medical school anyway, despite enjoying math and physics much more than biology. Fast forward to today -- I'm in med school, but do not like the prospect of becoming a doctor. I cannot help but think of my cousin, who reports enjoying his career in investment banking and private equity. He states his enjoyment for math is applied to his work every single day, and I cannot get myself to stop being envious of his joy. Therefore, I would like to ask if you have some time to chat about your journey from applying to medical school to venturing into finance. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
This thread could be in 4th grade by now.