Confessions of an Ex-Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seadizzle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love science. Dissecting a fetal pig and getting to poke around in what looks like almost human anatomy, feeling like a mad scientist in organic chemistry lab, getting my mind blown by quantum mechanics in pchem. And the human body? The more I learned about it, the more incredible I saw it was. I also truly enjoyed volunteering at a hospital during my summers. Taking care of patients, working with nurses, watching procedures. It was rewarding and interesting.

It hadn't been a childhood dream of mine to be a doctor, but I became very interested in it during my freshman year of college. I took honors gen chem and spent lots of time in office hours talking with my professor about his research. He was studying quantum states in supercooled helium - I was completely into it. The scientific method had always resonated with the way I thought about most things in life. In my sophomore year I buckled down and took bio, organic chem, and physics, with the all the labs. It was a ton of work, but my reward a much greater understanding of the three main branches of science, and I began to realize what it meant to study science.

I had taken multivar and diffeq my freshman year, and the more science I studied the more I realized that science was a way we understand the universe, and math is the language of that rigorous study. I had always been strong in math, but never considered it for extended study; math was too dry, it was just a tool to investigate "interesting" things. My view changed in college, when, for the first time, I was being taught by mathematicians. I was the same wavelength as my math professors during lecture, something I had never experienced with teachers in HS. I still remember the feeling of seeing liquid flowing down a drain as vector field, a wave of understanding. I declared math as my major.

Having finished all the prerequisites out of the way early (after my sophomore year), and with physics, ochem, and bio fresh in my mind, I took the MCATs the summer before my junior year. When I got my scores back, I knew that I had the gpa+mcat to be competitive anywhere. This impelled me to pursue my goal with a greater intensity. During my junior year I found an incredibly supportive professor in a research area, structural biology (specifically solving protein structures), that was an intersection of my interests and talents. Being a math major with programming experience, and with organic chem and biology lab experience, I was able to jump right in to multiple parts of the lab operation. My lab professor was very responsive, he gave me my own project to work on after only a few months of working at the lab. I had a (small) paper published as first author right before last summer.

I had made significant progress on the trinity: stats, volunteering, and research. I had been on a path straight to medical school. I had pursued it with intensity and purpose, worked hard to put myself in the best possible position. I was successful, it may sound overconfident, but I was certain I could get into some medical school with my application. As far as midway through my junior year, I had not seriously questioned if med school was the right path. It had and led to so many of things I wanted - I loved the idea of learning a practical science, learning about the human body, being a *healer* - being actually able to positively impact someone’s health, and yes, some of the reasons that aren't as noble, I was looking forward to the competition in medical school and residency, the financial stability (would not have to worry about not being able to pay for kids college, etc.), and the prestige of being a doctor. I was also aware of the arguments against med school / being a doctor. They float around on studentdoctor, the change of the medical profession to be less about patient care, dealing with insurance companies, 95%+ of the cases you encounter you immediately know the diagnosis, inane paperwork, malpractice and generally dealing with demanding patients, the monotony of the profession (doing 15 lowers in a day in a gastroenterology lab...). Also the negatives of medical school and residency, that it will crush your soul, that it's all about memorization and not necessarily "difficult" material, that it will push you 200k into debt, the patients being unimaginably badly off, and that you can't know what you are getting into until you're at clinicals... but these were not real for me. I focused on the good parts and did not deal with the bad on any more than an intellectual level. I thought no matter what the cost or downsides the rewards of helping people and of learning medicine would outweigh them. It was probably naive, but it's impossible to judge until you've gone through it, and then you can be financially stuck.

Focusing on the positives, I was still set on a course to med school. However, a couple major things happened in the spring of my junior year that brought uncertainty.

First, I signed up for a course on financial derivatives in our math department. I had only a vague interest in the stock market, and an even vaguer understanding of it. We focused on stock options, the market mechanics, “no arbitrage” pricing theory, risk-neutral pricing, and the stochastic partial differential equation describing asset movement and how it leads to the closed form Black-Scholes formula. It was very math heavy and I loved it. We had the freedom to do a final project, and I spent 30 hours (over three days) writing a program and accompanying theoretical paper to price exotic options. I loved it and I was good at it. This planted serious doubt in my mind. There would be no frenzy of calculus, probability, and exotic options in med school or beyond. The fact that I was this passionate about something other than medicine, something that until very recently I had *no idea was out there* as a result of the focus of my undergraduate study, made me question if I had neglected to explore other career paths.

Second, one of my roommates is studying finance and was going through the interview process for a summer internship at an investment bank. In spite of my (very narrow) exposure to the financial world via stock options, I had *no idea* that there was even a profession of investment banking until my roommate was knee deep in interviews. And I thought doctors and lawyers made a lot of money until I heard about the kind of bonuses people 7-10 years out consistently get. Hell, after three years (out of undergrad!) they are making more than the average doctor. What impacted me much more than the money was the realization that I had no idea what was out there as a possibility. Studying the sciences and math primarily, I was completely in the dark about the business world. The fact that I had no idea that Mergers & Acquisitions advisory was a big deal was a wakeup call to me that there was a ton of other stuff out there.

My state by the end of my junior year was more confused than anything. My application to medical school was together, and I could still easily see myself going to med school and being happy with the decision. The major change in mindset wasn't an amplification of the negatives of medicine, but a realization that I hadn't really explored other opportunities. A big barrier to this exploration was that, under only cursory consideration, most jobs appear to suck. My understanding of what it meant to be in "business" was closely approximated by Office Space. My understanding of what it meant to be in law was being buried in esoteric research ordered by higher ups. But a doctor, that was more easily romanticized. I could see myself repairing a faulty heart valve or pouring through texts trying to fit the symptoms together to arrive at a diagnosis...I could more easily see it as something challenging and rewarding. During the summer after my junior year I started to look at other options, and once I dug a bit below the surface, I could see how these other jobs could be interesting and challenging.

My parents were incredibly supportive of me during the tumult, which made it much easier. When I slammed on the breaks while speeding toward med school, they didn't object, and they were really key in helping me explore other directions. Because I had been preparing for the very competitive med school application process, resume was pretty unique (those who have a resume who looks like mine were all going to med school), and it was strong. I networked through family friends and friends of family friends and came across interesting opportunities. I talked to people at big pharma, biotech engineering graduate school, someone in securities law, a few in strategy consulting, a quantitative analyst at a hedge fund, really a ton of people. I noticed two things, how excited most of them were about what they did, and the flexibility so many had exercised to move to a different area if they weren’t happy originally.

One example that I thought was especially interesting (to me, and I hope to you also) opportunity I learned about during that summer was an MD who was working for a biotech-specialized venture capital firm. What they did was work very closely with fledgling biotech companies with a promising product, give them money in exchange for a stake in the company, and help them (with the new flow of cash) develop, market, sell their product, as well as fit together a working business infrastructure. The end result is hopefully either an IPO (initial public offering where they sell shares of the company to the public) or being acquired by a bigger biotech company. It sounded fascinating to me, the MD got to take part in the evaluation of new medical devices as well as the business side of it. He was nice enough to talk to me about his experience. I had been tossing around the idea of going to medical school and then if I didn't like it, I still had all the MD knowledge if I wanted to do something else. One of my first questions to him was if, knowing what he knows now, he still would have gone to medical school i.e. is the knowledge he gained worth the investment (time and money). He laughed and said emphatically, "No, absolutely not." He explained that medical school was not a PhD program, it was a preprofessional school. He told me that there are opportunities for MDs who don't want to practice, but if you know you don't want to practice, you are better off (for mental health and financial reasons) to skip the ordeal.

I don't remember at what point it was exactly, but the sum of my experience over the summer led me to the conclusion that I was not ready to commit to med school. I did not conclude that I never wanted to go to med school, just that I needed to explore before I put myself on that road. I felt that it would be difficult for me to dedicate myself completely to med school if I doubted it was the right choice. If I got out in the job world for a couple years and decided that medicine was definitely what I wanted, I would be better off with those few years of experience. I knew that if I went through the application process and got accepted, it would be difficult for me to explore other options during the process, and especially difficult to turn down an acceptance if I got one. I really felt that I would inadvertently mentally railroad myself into medical school, if I went through the process. I was also confident that I would able to find something to do for the next year, or two, or twenty that I would enjoy amidst the now seemingly vast set of possibilities – be it close to medicine, or far away. After exploring and coming to these conclusions, I decided I would not be applying to medical school this round.

If there is interest in hearing about my job search process I’d be happy to share – via another post or PM. I focused on strategy consulting and finance stuff (from quant to trading to m&a), so it really isn’t premed related. My story has a happy ending, next year I’ll be on the trading floor for a large international bank, working with derivatives – it looks challenging and interesting.

This is not intended to dissuade anyone from going to med school, I just wanted to share my experience. I feel like a lot of people might have had similar thoughts and experiences or maybe someone might find my experience helpful. I would like to end on an optimistic note, because I feel like this has been too negative on medicine as a whole. While talking to doctors I found people that were not thrilled about the profession, but I also found people that absolutely glowed talking about their jobs. For example, an OB/GYN who gets physically excited when describing what she does at work, she says she’d work for free and I believe her. She works way more than she needs to because she loves her patients and she loves helping them. Another example is a heart surgeon who has paid for children from third world countries to fly over to the US, and performs the operation on them, out of his own pocket. For all of you in the process or soon to be in the process, I wish you incredible luck, and hope you find the profession as rewarding as those two do. My advice is only to genuinely explore other options. If you decide medicine is for you, I am very glad we have smart and motivated people going into the field.

:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on your choices. You are certainly very, very lucky to have your pick of whatever profession you want---use your experiences to find a job that fits you!

I was a less successful version of you (MCAT after sophomore year, somewhat unique app) only replace math with computer science, and I did explore other options and came back to medicine. I hope you find it as informative as I did. Maybe we'll see you back in a couple of years. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I love science. Dissecting a fetal pig and getting to poke around in what looks like almost human anatomy, feeling like a mad scientist in organic chemistry lab, getting my mind blown by quantum mechanics in pchem. And the human body? The more I learned about it, the more incredible I saw it was. I also truly enjoyed volunteering at a hospital during my summers. Taking care of patients, working with nurses, watching procedures. It was rewarding and interesting.

It hadn't been a childhood dream of mine to be a doctor, but I became very interested in it during my freshman year of college. I took honors gen chem and spent lots of time in office hours talking with my professor about his research. He was studying quantum states in supercooled helium - I was completely into it. The scientific method had always resonated with the way I thought about most things in life. In my sophomore year I buckled down and took bio, organic chem, and physics, with the all the labs. It was a ton of work, but my reward a much greater understanding of the three main branches of science, and I began to realize what it meant to study science.

I had taken multivar and diffeq my freshman year, and the more science I studied the more I realized that science was a way we understand the universe, and math is the language of that rigorous study. I had always been strong in math, but never considered it for extended study; math was too dry, it was just a tool to investigate "interesting" things. My view changed in college, when, for the first time, I was being taught by mathematicians. I was the same wavelength as my math professors during lecture, something I had never experienced with teachers in HS. I still remember the feeling of seeing liquid flowing down a drain as vector field, a wave of understanding. I declared math as my major.

Having finished all the prerequisites out of the way early (after my sophomore year), and with physics, ochem, and bio fresh in my mind, I took the MCATs the summer before my junior year. When I got my scores back, I knew that I had the gpa+mcat to be competitive anywhere. This impelled me to pursue my goal with a greater intensity. During my junior year I found an incredibly supportive professor in a research area, structural biology (specifically solving protein structures), that was an intersection of my interests and talents. Being a math major with programming experience, and with organic chem and biology lab experience, I was able to jump right in to multiple parts of the lab operation. My lab professor was very responsive, he gave me my own project to work on after only a few months of working at the lab. I had a (small) paper published as first author right before last summer.

I had made significant progress on the trinity: stats, volunteering, and research. I had been on a path straight to medical school. I had pursued it with intensity and purpose, worked hard to put myself in the best possible position. I was successful, it may sound overconfident, but I was certain I could get into some medical school with my application. As far as midway through my junior year, I had not seriously questioned if med school was the right path. It had and led to so many of things I wanted - I loved the idea of learning a practical science, learning about the human body, being a *healer* - being actually able to positively impact someone's health, and yes, some of the reasons that aren't as noble, I was looking forward to the competition in medical school and residency, the financial stability (would not have to worry about not being able to pay for kids college, etc.), and the prestige of being a doctor. I was also aware of the arguments against med school / being a doctor. They float around on studentdoctor, the change of the medical profession to be less about patient care, dealing with insurance companies, 95%+ of the cases you encounter you immediately know the diagnosis, inane paperwork, malpractice and generally dealing with demanding patients, the monotony of the profession (doing 15 lowers in a day in a gastroenterology lab...). Also the negatives of medical school and residency, that it will crush your soul, that it's all about memorization and not necessarily "difficult" material, that it will push you 200k into debt, the patients being unimaginably badly off, and that you can't know what you are getting into until you're at clinicals... but these were not real for me. I focused on the good parts and did not deal with the bad on any more than an intellectual level. I thought no matter what the cost or downsides the rewards of helping people and of learning medicine would outweigh them. It was probably naive, but it's impossible to judge until you've gone through it, and then you can be financially stuck.

Focusing on the positives, I was still set on a course to med school. However, a couple major things happened in the spring of my junior year that brought uncertainty.

First, I signed up for a course on financial derivatives in our math department. I had only a vague interest in the stock market, and an even vaguer understanding of it. We focused on stock options, the market mechanics, "no arbitrage" pricing theory, risk-neutral pricing, and the stochastic partial differential equation describing asset movement and how it leads to the closed form Black-Scholes formula. It was very math heavy and I loved it. We had the freedom to do a final project, and I spent 30 hours (over three days) writing a program and accompanying theoretical paper to price exotic options. I loved it and I was good at it. This planted serious doubt in my mind. There would be no frenzy of calculus, probability, and exotic options in med school or beyond. The fact that I was this passionate about something other than medicine, something that until very recently I had *no idea was out there* as a result of the focus of my undergraduate study, made me question if I had neglected to explore other career paths.

Second, one of my roommates is studying finance and was going through the interview process for a summer internship at an investment bank. In spite of my (very narrow) exposure to the financial world via stock options, I had *no idea* that there was even a profession of investment banking until my roommate was knee deep in interviews. And I thought doctors and lawyers made a lot of money until I heard about the kind of bonuses people 7-10 years out consistently get. Hell, after three years (out of undergrad!) they are making more than the average doctor. What impacted me much more than the money was the realization that I had no idea what was out there as a possibility. Studying the sciences and math primarily, I was completely in the dark about the business world. The fact that I had no idea that Mergers & Acquisitions advisory was a big deal was a wakeup call to me that there was a ton of other stuff out there.

My state by the end of my junior year was more confused than anything. My application to medical school was together, and I could still easily see myself going to med school and being happy with the decision. The major change in mindset wasn't an amplification of the negatives of medicine, but a realization that I hadn't really explored other opportunities. A big barrier to this exploration was that, under only cursory consideration, most jobs appear to suck. My understanding of what it meant to be in "business" was closely approximated by Office Space. My understanding of what it meant to be in law was being buried in esoteric research ordered by higher ups. But a doctor, that was more easily romanticized. I could see myself repairing a faulty heart valve or pouring through texts trying to fit the symptoms together to arrive at a diagnosis...I could more easily see it as something challenging and rewarding. During the summer after my junior year I started to look at other options, and once I dug a bit below the surface, I could see how these other jobs could be interesting and challenging.

My parents were incredibly supportive of me during the tumult, which made it much easier. When I slammed on the breaks while speeding toward med school, they didn't object, and they were really key in helping me explore other directions. Because I had been preparing for the very competitive med school application process, resume was pretty unique (those who have a resume who looks like mine were all going to med school), and it was strong. I networked through family friends and friends of family friends and came across interesting opportunities. I talked to people at big pharma, biotech engineering graduate school, someone in securities law, a few in strategy consulting, a quantitative analyst at a hedge fund, really a ton of people. I noticed two things, how excited most of them were about what they did, and the flexibility so many had exercised to move to a different area if they weren't happy originally.

One example that I thought was especially interesting (to me, and I hope to you also) opportunity I learned about during that summer was an MD who was working for a biotech-specialized venture capital firm. What they did was work very closely with fledgling biotech companies with a promising product, give them money in exchange for a stake in the company, and help them (with the new flow of cash) develop, market, sell their product, as well as fit together a working business infrastructure. The end result is hopefully either an IPO (initial public offering where they sell shares of the company to the public) or being acquired by a bigger biotech company. It sounded fascinating to me, the MD got to take part in the evaluation of new medical devices as well as the business side of it. He was nice enough to talk to me about his experience. I had been tossing around the idea of going to medical school and then if I didn't like it, I still had all the MD knowledge if I wanted to do something else. One of my first questions to him was if, knowing what he knows now, he still would have gone to medical school i.e. is the knowledge he gained worth the investment (time and money). He laughed and said emphatically, "No, absolutely not." He explained that medical school was not a PhD program, it was a preprofessional school. He told me that there are opportunities for MDs who don't want to practice, but if you know you don't want to practice, you are better off (for mental health and financial reasons) to skip the ordeal.

I don't remember at what point it was exactly, but the sum of my experience over the summer led me to the conclusion that I was not ready to commit to med school. I did not conclude that I never wanted to go to med school, just that I needed to explore before I put myself on that road. I felt that it would be difficult for me to dedicate myself completely to med school if I doubted it was the right choice. If I got out in the job world for a couple years and decided that medicine was definitely what I wanted, I would be better off with those few years of experience. I knew that if I went through the application process and got accepted, it would be difficult for me to explore other options during the process, and especially difficult to turn down an acceptance if I got one. I really felt that I would inadvertently mentally railroad myself into medical school, if I went through the process. I was also confident that I would able to find something to do for the next year, or two, or twenty that I would enjoy amidst the now seemingly vast set of possibilities – be it close to medicine, or far away. After exploring and coming to these conclusions, I decided I would not be applying to medical school this round.

If there is interest in hearing about my job search process I'd be happy to share – via another post or PM. I focused on strategy consulting and finance stuff (from quant to trading to m&a), so it really isn't premed related. My story has a happy ending, next year I'll be on the trading floor for a large international bank, working with derivatives – it looks challenging and interesting.

This is not intended to dissuade anyone from going to med school, I just wanted to share my experience. I feel like a lot of people might have had similar thoughts and experiences or maybe someone might find my experience helpful. I would like to end on an optimistic note, because I feel like this has been too negative on medicine as a whole. While talking to doctors I found people that were not thrilled about the profession, but I also found people that absolutely glowed talking about their jobs. For example, an OB/GYN who gets physically excited when describing what she does at work, she says she'd work for free and I believe her. She works way more than she needs to because she loves her patients and she loves helping them. Another example is a heart surgeon who has paid for children from third world countries to fly over to the US, and performs the operation on them, out of his own pocket. For all of you in the process or soon to be in the process, I wish you incredible luck, and hope you find the profession as rewarding as those two do. My advice is only to genuinely explore other options. If you decide medicine is for you, I am very glad we have smart and motivated people going into the field.

:cool:

I think you did a good job outlining the positives/negatives of your adventure through undergrand and how you've evaluatedy our decision to pass up medical school. Everyone should end up going into something that they love (for many of the people here it is obviously medicine :) ). I wen't to a top business school, studied finance in undergrad (concentrating on bond markets and security analysis), had multiple internships, saw people 2-3 years older than me from my professional fraternity graduate and move on to wall street and learned from their experiences. In the end (during my senior year actually) I came to the exact opposite realization as you. I took the remaining pre-reqs for med school - I had done some of them to fulfill requirements for the computer science major I declared freshman year - and then took the MCAT and ended up with a decent application. The first question I got from the last two interviewers for med school was how I ended up transitioning from such an unrelated field to being pre-med. Apparently I had some good answers, because I was accepted two days later.

All that aside, the OP makes a good point in that you should really explore other options. If I could go back to freshman year knowing that I wanted to be a doctor, I probably still would have studied finance because the coursework was interesting and it would still have allowed me to rule out another career option that I might have been interested in. You don't need to be a biology major to get into medical schoo, and non-medical experiences are certainly valuable things to talk about if you eventually decide to go to med school. While it sounds like the OP is very excited about the direction he/she is heading (I'm not debating that), there are plenty of people who would disagree about how exciting working for a investment bank/hedge fund, doing corporate finaince, or financial advising, or [insert other financial career here] are. I have friends that made 6 figures immediately after 4 years of undergrad (with bonuses up to 30k their first year) working at places like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Citigroup, Goldsmith-Agio-Helms, and a bunch of hedge funds. Some of them love their jobs and some of them hate it. Many of them work more than doctors, but make just about as much as doctors with less than half the training. If you're in it for the money than this is obviously an attractive option. One thing that I do know is that while many business schools are easy in comparison to what a chemistry major has to go through, you have to be extremely intelligent and just as driven as any pre-med to be competitive for a high-profile finance job. No one waltzes onto wall street. I could see how somoene who doesn't really know what its all about would come onto these forums and think that going into investment-banking is an easy backup plan to med school based on the cliche "if I don't get in I'll just do ibanking" that I seem to see on here a lot. That is totally misguided thinking. As far as the MD-turned investment guru saying that he wouldn't have wasted time/money in med school... I highly doubt he would have gotten his foot in the door and be where he is at right now if he hadn't made his initial investment in med school. Thats just my $0.02

to the OP, thanks for taking the time to write that, it was a great read.

I enjoyed the read, one of the few long posts I can honestly say that I will sit and read straight through. This is often why non-trads often have an edge in applying to medical schools. To go into medicine after an established career, who also most likely has had diverse experiences elsewhere, speaks volumes about that candidate's reasons to go into medicine.

Cut out the last few paragraphs and that would make one hell of a personal statement! You are certainly a very wise person that makes their decisions carefully, but i also think you're the type of person that finds positives in any activity and can probably enjoy anything.

Cut out the last few paragraphs and that would make one hell of a personal statement! You are certainly a very wise person that makes their decisions carefully, but i also think you're the type of person that finds positives in any activity and can probably enjoy anything.

I often think this same thing about myself, so I try to question which activity I would enjoy the most or something of that nature. Its easy to "settle" for something when you're very optimistic (or just score on the very low side of negative emotionality), and that can often leave you with with something that is less satisfying - even if you don't really realize it.

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

maybe you'll be one of those guys that goes into finance, makes a pile of money, and decides to come back to medicine in 10 years. all the same, it seems like you've got your act together. now get to work designing a weather derivative you can use in time-zone arbitrage.

Good post. If you ever bump into that OB/GYN that wants to get sued for free again, tell her there are ample opportunities for that in Pennsylvania. Also tell the heart surgeon flying kids in for surgery out of his own pocket to do as many as possible now since our generation will not be able to afford that type of a thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Good post. If you ever bump into that OB/GYN that wants to get sued for free again, tell her there are ample opportunities for that in Pennsylvania. Also tell the heart surgeon flying kids in for surgery out of his own pocket to do as many as possible now since our generation will not be able to afford that type of a thing.

I had high spirits until I read this post. Crushed... under the hand of reality and bluntness

OP: Awesome story. Thanks for sharing that. I wish everyone took a look at their options before launching into a particular career. It would prevent a lot of pointless agony. Working hard for a career that is a great fit is one thing. Slaving away because you don't know there are better options out there is really sad.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe you'll be one of those guys that goes into finance, makes a pile of money, and decides to come back to medicine in 10 years. all the same, it seems like you've got your act together. now get to work designing a weather derivative you can use in time-zone arbitrage.

I really wanted to do this, go into finance for 5 years or so then go into medicine, but chickened out. I heard horror stories about how med schools look disdainfully upon anything that isn't perceived as service-oriented.

I really wanted to do this, go into finance for 5 years or so then go into medicine, but chickened out. I heard horror stories about how med schools look disdainfully upon anything that isn't perceived as service-oriented.

not true. in fact, i remember that one of the student profiles in the harvard brochure was some guy that worked at goldman sachs for a while or something. if it wasn't for my desire to be a surgeon, i'd probably do the same thing.

what worked well for me is to just do absolutly nothing for a while, completely seperating yourself from family, peer and media influences so you can see what your true motives are.

If I could be a mathmatician or physicist pushing changing our fundemental understandings of the universe I would do that.
but i'm not a genious.

but medicine is pretty damn cool also. constantly learning and evolving our views on life and disease is almost just
as interesting.

I do find it interesting how loads of people toy between the challenges/stimulation of medicine and such fields as law, computer engineering and investment banking.

Strange how so few toy between the challenges/stimuation of medicine and fields like social work, teaching high school math, public health, and non-profit management.

I do find it interesting how loads of people toy between the challenges/stimulation of medicine and such fields as law, computer engineering and investment banking.

Strange how so few toy between the challenges/stimuation of medicine and fields like social work, teaching high school math, public health, and non-profit management.

Not so strange... the unspoken, unacknowledged common thread running through the former gamut of professions you listed is $$$.

And the unspoken, unacknowledged common thread running through the latter array of professions you named is lack of $$$.

(As an aside- personally, I've never felt the pull of law school, nor the world of finance/business. I have worked in the non-profit industry and considered going into counseling or clinical psychology.)

Let's be honest here... a lot of pre-meds consider medical school because A) they can (not everyone is able to think about meeting its pre-requisites), and B) the financial compensation. (Of course, there's also, relatedly, C) the prestige factor... again, high for the former list of occupations, and comparatively low for the latter).

excellent post!!!!!!!!!!! you sound like a really smart cookie, no matter what you do, you'll do well :) good luck to you!

Not so strange... the unspoken, unacknowledged common thread running through the former gamut of professions you listed is $$$.

And the unspoken, unacknowledged common thread running through the latter array of professions you named is lack of $$$.

(As an aside- personally, I've never felt the pull of law school, nor the world of finance/business. I have worked in the non-profit industry and considered going into counseling or clinical psychology.)

Let's be honest here... a lot of pre-meds consider medical school because A) they can (not everyone is able to think about meeting its pre-requisites), and B) the financial compensation. (Of course, there's also, relatedly, C) the prestige factor... again, high for the former list of occupations, and comparatively low for the latter).

I would put getting a PhD in economics from a top university much closer to the ibanking/med school/law school personality than the teacher/social work, and certainly the people smart enough to get into those programs have a lot more lucrative options open to them. So, I don't feel the common thread is money but rather the potential to be challenged in a certain way. Teaching high school math and doing social work present their own challenges, but they are probably not the most intellectually stimulating work. I don't want to sound like I'm taking anything away from teachers or social workers, most work incredibly hard to do a good job - but I do not feel like I could reach my full potential in one of those roles. It is a very different type of challenge a neurosurgeon faces...one that I believe many here are looking for, which is why I believe they look at jobs with similar types of challenges.

I actually considered all the above except investment banking (totally not me -- money is needed but not a huge motivator for me) plus political lobbying and several other fields.

For those that look to be intellectually stimulated, getting an MD can possibly be dissuasive in the long run (because of limited exposure). Other educational options are available for those looking for something else.

:)

now get to work designing a weather derivative you can use in time-zone arbitrage.

:laugh: :D

number77 said:
For those that look to be intellectually stimulated, getting an MD can possibly be dissuasive in the long run (because of limited exposure). Other educational options are available for those looking for something else.

I think that really depends on what you do. If you are doing family practice in a rural community I could see there being a limited exposure. If you are active in research and pushing the frontiers of your field then it could be very stimulating.

Thanks for that lovely bildungsroman. Now, how about summarizing it for us in a few lines? Then people might actually read it.

Hey now they're out there - two of my closest college friends fall under this category (and have chosen medicine). They're just not posting here. :smuggrin:

I was in finance for a few years at a top firm doing investment banking. It was a fantastic experience, but I made the opposite choice of the OP and am starting med school in the fall. Have had great luck so far with acceptances and most seem to view it as a +, although I do have several years of volunteer/research experience and think I can articulate fairly well why I want to do medicine.

I sincerely hope things work out for the OP, but I worry that the views of those that he talked to on the interview trail are overly optomistic. Money is a huge motivator for most (not all) of successfull financiers, and becomes a chain that binds many to a job that they are unfilled by. It is exciting but an enormous grind, and you're always working to please the client and your boss, even if you are successful and high up in an organization, which is exceeding lame. Trading floors are impressive, but give me the blood, sweat, and tears (isn't that a band?) of a hospital any day. That is where life happens and where I want to spend my career.

We'll have to see how it works out - I'm very excited about my job and living in New York for at least a couple years. I'm encouraged that the work sounds very interesting and challenging, closer to my quantitative interests than something like traditional M&A advisory.

It's good to hear that med schools see the ibanking experience as a plus, I wasn't sure how academic medicine saw wall street. Thanks for sharing!

As an older student who is coming from the opposite direction, I felt the need to contribute a few words of advice. I’ll be honest that I only quickly skimmed your long essay since I am at work trying to look busy :) My background is that I entered college as a chemistry major and ultimately transferred into the undergrad business program at Penn. I spent two years doing investment banking before deciding that I wanted something a little more fulfilling. I quit my job after two years to join a young biotechnology company specializing in cancer products. I have now been there for five years. This job has been very fulfilling, but ultimately taught me that I wanted to be a doctor.

I definitely don’t regret my path and I know that it will make me a strong doctor. I tested all avenues that I was interested in and I am able to dedicate the rest of my life to medicine without any doubts. Will I miss the money I used to be making and will it be difficult to see my friends making tons of money while I am in school? Absolutely. Life is about sacrifices though and you need to figure out if making a really good salary with all the intangible benefits of being a doctor is worth giving up a lucrative finance career where you will make more money than you could ever responsibly spend. If you can’t say this, or just want more business experience, I highly recommend working before med school. What is two years out of your entire life? Maybe you will find a finance career to be satisfying as well, which is great. Don’t chose a job only for the money though. As I know even in my late twenties, it is harder to start a career as a doctor the older you get. Not because you can’t get into schools, but because your family and future plans definitely start to dictate your life.

"Prior to attending medical school, I did extensive research in the field of biochemistry, characterizing two transition states along parallel protein folding pathways."

"Good for you. Go into your patient's room and ask her how she is feeling today."

"Um...how do I do that?"

:D

Well, you may find another career that you enjoy or you may decide to go the medical route later on, after all. I was originally premed, then chose a different career, then came back. It simply means that you have many interests.

I-banking is in the toilet for the foreseeable future.

You may want to consider taking the MCAT and polishing that CV. :D

Why would anyone smart enough to do law/medicine/i-banking/engineering want to get paid $40k/year in social work/teaching/public health?

I guess I'm a shallow person.

My friend wanted to be an investment banker, but he decided to become a commissioned officer for the Army since job prospects were bleak..

great to hear!:thumbup:

do you still feel as strongly about your decision as you did before?

I'm also interested in your answer here. Do you ever feel like becoming a physician was your true calling?

Great read, by the way. I'm glad this thread popped up.

I considered teaching for a short while (though not high school math... more like high school biology. I would be a boring math teacher), but ultimately decided against it because I don't handle large groups of people well. I'm far too introverted for it.

I am the president of a non-profit organization though. Of course, our bi-laws are written in a way that I make nothing in that position. It's purely volunteer. And I prefer it that way. I like to participate in the organization, but I couldn't make a career of it.

I'm also in sales right now, and while I enjoy the one-on-one time I get with people, that's also not something I really want to make a career of. I don't think I would be able to actively run a business very well. Help in running I can do, but I certainly can't run it on my own.

lmao there is no "frenzy of calculus, probability, and exotic options" in investment banking. Nor is there in private equity or venture capital. Hedge funds and proprietary trading firms call for quants. And they usually want PhDs (from top schools).

lmao there is no "frenzy of calculus, probability, and exotic options" in investment banking. Nor is there in private equity or venture capital. Hedge funds and proprietary trading firms call for quants. And they usually want PhDs (from top schools).

Traditional banking, PE, and VC aren't known for their quantitative rigor, but I don't work in those fields.

We use models based in some advanced math, but it isn't the PHDs trading. We aren't an oddity - almost any model for interest rates will get you quickly into grad-school level math, because modeling the yield curve is so difficult.

You just look silly when you speak about things you don't know anything about.

you don't need a PhD to go into trading at a hedge fund or a prop arbitrage firm. just some quick thinking and good understanding of numbers (and a bit of luck during recruitment).

with that said, i think most firms are in a hiring freeze. there's always room for profit but I would guess that the volume of trading has gone down significantly since the time you originally posted.

there has been a considerable number of people that have switched between finance and medicine, in both directions.

some people enjoy the challenges of other fields better, and I am glad to live in a country where we could, with some work, change professions if desired.

Thanks for that lovely bildungsroman. Now, how about summarizing it for us in a few lines? Then people might actually read it.

basically, she is saying she couldnt keep up with the coursework and now, she is writing that to justify it to herself. failure i say. good luck dealing with having to ask yourself "what if" later in life.

great to hear!:thumbup:

do you still feel as strongly about your decision as you did before?

It has been through a combination of luck and hard work, mostly luck, that I am still in finance. At least half the people I started with have been let go for various reasons – their firm was taken over, their firm went bankrupt, their group didn’t “fit in with the business going forward,” etc.

Imagine Wall Street as a ship. In 2006 and 2007, everyone was having a great time, partying, getting drunk (really drunk), and no one is steering the ship. The ship, with no one at the helm, crashes and all of a sudden people are fighting to stay alive and find a piece of driftwood to hold on to.

I think I’ve found a piece of driftwood, modeling and investing in risky assets that have been abandoned by their traditional buyers. Had I not landed in the position I’m in, it would be much more difficult to say this – but I really believe I made the right decision.

I have been out of the bubble of academia for two years now. I’m not sure if living in a studio in midtown Manhattan counts as “the real world” compared to working in an ER in Baltimore, but it feels closer than a college dorm. You can certainly take issue with the reality I am experiencing, but my perspective has changed a lot having a job with real responsibility and decisions.

The job itself has been very good for me. It’s not glamorous all the time, or most of the time, I work 70-80 hours a week, generally on unintellectual work, but I’m lucky enough to be in a position where I have the opportunity to put on trades and help design our models. Because the product I’m in has undergone a dramatic repricing over the last two years, the “old way” of looking at it had to be thrown out, and a totally new approach was needed. This allowed me to contribute in a way that wouldn’t have been possible had the world not undergone such a traumatic shift. Being in the same position in medicine (after two years at least) would be impossible, mostly because the body (unlike the market), doesn’t completely change the rules every decade.

That said, I still think about medicine sometimes. Working 80 hours a week doesn’t leave you a lot of time for day-dreaming about what could have been, but I get some time to introspect on the weekends. My fascination with the human body and the natural world haven’t faded as much as new interests have come into focus. The global economy and its interaction with the markets is a monster to tackle - rising unemployment and declining house prices, the volatile treasury market and mortgage rates, the impact of the failure of Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers, the government bailouts of investment banks and Chrysler and GM - it's a constant challenge to navigate it. I look forward to reading another chapter in “The Wealth of Nations” (hey, I wasn’t an econ major) just as I look forward to perusing the 40th edition of Gray’s Anatomy. I'll always have more questions than I ever have time to go to school for :cool:

For seadizzle--

I know of a few people who are thinking of doing finance after they get their PhD in math. I've always heard that most go in with the intention of making a buttload of money for 10-15 years and then retiring when they're in their 40s. Does this actually happen that often or do they just lose their jobs? What do they usually do after that?

----

Anyone who wants to go into medicine just for the money should really reevaluate things. I know that everyone knows but think of it from my perspective: some of my friends will be making $500k when I'll be losing $40k a year for the privilege of getting yelled at by an egomaniacal attending. Just as I'm finishing residency my friends will be sitting on a load of cash and will be contemplating retirement.

It's genuinely depressing to think about, but I still want to go to med school. I guess you really have to be somewhat crazy to go into medicine :D.