Conflict of Interest

Started by Sparda29
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an issue at the CVS I work at. The pharmacist is allowing these two new techs to make the schedule. They have given themselves full time hours (40 each), we only have 5 workers aside from the 2 pharmacists. Since they are full time, I cannot ask them to cover for me if I need a day off. And the other tech does not work on weekends, and the other intern can only work Sundays, putting us in a bit of a bind.

Do you guys think this is an issue of conflict of interest that I should bring up with the pharmacy manager?
 
I have an issue at the CVS I work at. The pharmacist is allowing these two new techs to make the schedule. They have given themselves full time hours (40 each), we only have 5 workers aside from the 2 pharmacists. Since they are full time, I cannot ask them to cover for me if I need a day off. And the other tech does not work on weekends, and the other intern can only work Sundays, putting us in a bit of a bind.

Do you guys think this is an issue of conflict of interest that I should bring up with the pharmacy manager?

This is NOT your problem. Pleas explain to the Pharmacy manager that you will require the occasional weekend off and as his staff is currently configured, he does not have the coverage for that.

As for the full timers, if you can work a day for them, they can do your weekend and still be under 40 hours....
 
This is NOT your problem. Pleas explain to the Pharmacy manager that you will require the occasional weekend off and as his staff is currently configured, he does not have the coverage for that.

As for the full timers, if you can work a day for them, they can do your weekend and still be under 40 hours....

I could work a day for them, but then I'd have to skip school since they work abnormal hours for techs (they split working 10-14 hour days). Do most pharmacists like having a rigid schedule of who is going to be there? Basically, the way it is set up, there are these 3 girls that would be there on the weekdays at all times (but they are just techs), versus in the past we used to have more of a dynamic schedule with a lot more interns and only 1 tech that you knew would be there every day.

This is the weekday schedule.
T1 - 9AM-8PM
T2 - 11AM-4PM
T3 - 12PM-10PM

Weekends
Saturday - Just me from 10-6 with the pharmacist.
Sunday - Just the other intern from 10-6 with the pharmacist. (I don't know how they plan on getting stuff done with just 1 person helping the pharmacist.)
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A staff member being in charge of a schedule does not automatically grant them the privilege of first choice of hours. As such, they should take great pains to ensure they are not preferencing hours for themselves at the expense of others.

Being the staffer is a responsibility not a right and it sounds like they are abusing powers. I would mention that you have as much right to your fair share of hours as they do, no matter who is in control of the schedule. If they do not make reasonable accommodations, you should go to the pharmacy manager for further discussion (preferably in writing).

If a satisfactory answer does not come from this, then would be the time to take your (fully documented) case to the DM and try to work out a fair schedule.

Saying that, if it were me in your position. I'd make it known to all that the schedule is set up in a way that directly prohibits me from finding coverage should an emergency come up. With that knowledge, if I do need to miss a day, it will not be my responsibility to cover for something that you could have avoided in the beginning.

Good luck.
 
A staff member being in charge of a schedule does not automatically grant them the privilege of first choice of hours. As such, they should take great pains to ensure they are not preferencing hours for themselves at the expense of others.

Being the staffer is a responsibility not a right and it sounds like they are abusing powers. I would mention that you have as much right to your fair share of hours as they do, no matter who is in control of the schedule. If they do not make reasonable accommodations, you should go to the pharmacy manager for further discussion (preferably in writing).

If a satisfactory answer does not come from this, then would be the time to take your (fully documented) case to the DM and try to work out a fair schedule.

Saying that, if it were me in your position. I'd make it known to all that the schedule is set up in a way that directly prohibits me from finding coverage should an emergency come up. With that knowledge, if I do need to miss a day, it will not be my responsibility to cover for something that you could have avoided in the beginning.

Good luck.

The way the store was staffed in the past, we had a bunch of interns and a couple of regular techs. And if you wanted to take a day off, it was easy to find someone to cover for you, and it was your responsibility to find coverage.

If they are only going to have 5 employees in our store, I'm going to say that it is no longer my responsibility to find coverage if no one can there can cover.
 
I always scheduled by seniority and how good the tech was...Anyone in school would give me their schedule and I would try to fit them in where I could...However, I met the needs of the business first...nothing else mattered...In my eyes, business comes first...which means...the patient always comes first...but you also said two new techs...hmmmm...i guess i would need more information...like ability of tech/intern, seniority...availability etc...
 
I always scheduled by seniority and how good the tech was...Anyone in school would give me their schedule and I would try to fit them in where I could...However, I met the needs of the business first...nothing else mattered...In my eyes, business comes first...which means...the patient always comes first...but you also said two new techs...hmmmm...i guess i would need more information...like ability of tech/intern, seniority...availability etc...

its true. companies have to look out for themselves...it is a business after all. But you have to look out for yourself too. If they can't switch with you, talk to your pharmacist. See what he/she can do. Recently, there is hiring freezes all over...so don't be too shocked if they can't get new hires or something.
 
Sounds to me like a weak Pharmacy Manager. Most Pharmacy Managers are whimps. They want the extra pay but do not want any of the extra responsibilities. What kind of manager lets the techs make up the schedule? You schedule based on the needs of the business. The right person, scheduled at the right time doing the right job. Somes times it works out by senority sometimes not. I would never let the technicians make out the schedule.
 
Sounds to me like a weak Pharmacy Manager. Most Pharmacy Managers are whimps. They want the extra pay but do not want any of the extra responsibilities. What kind of manager lets the techs make up the schedule? You schedule based on the needs of the business. The right person, scheduled at the right time doing the right job. Somes times it works out by senority sometimes not. I would never let the technicians make out the schedule.

Exactly. I would never allow the technicians to schedule themselves. You are the manager meaning it's your responsibility.
 
I always scheduled by seniority and how good the tech was...Anyone in school would give me their schedule and I would try to fit them in where I could...However, I met the needs of the business first...nothing else mattered...In my eyes, business comes first...which means...the patient always comes first...but you also said two new techs...hmmmm...i guess i would need more information...like ability of tech/intern, seniority...availability etc...

In terms of seniority, the 11AM-4PM tech has been at this store for 10 years and has worked the same shift all the time. However, she has no idea how to use the computer and is around 70+ in age, so she is delegated to pick-up, putting away the order, and occasionally production.

The two new techs(9AM-8PM, 12PM-10PM) have been with CVS for quite a while but they moved into the pharmacy department from the front store department. They took some "lead technician" class and all of a sudden they are making the store's schedule, and the people in charge asides from the pharmacist. (I still have to teach them stuff about the computer system, sig codes, calculations, etc from time to time.)

I've been with the company for 3 1/2 years, P2 intern, most adapt of out of the employees with the computer system. The other intern is a P3 intern, she's been with us for 2 1/2 years, she's pretty decent with the computer as well.

Personally, I see me and the P3 intern as the most valuable employees to this particular store even though we can only work 8 hours/week during the school year.

If the pharmacist had the needs of the business in mind, they would have given me and the P3 intern the majority of the hours when we were off school, and reduced the hours of the techs. If this **** continues, I'm just going to request a transfer to another CVS, probably the one where my former supervisor works, or to this other store that hires mostly interns and very little amount of techs (and the pharmacist is pretty cool with me too... as long as I'm in dress code.)
 
In terms of seniority, the 11AM-4PM tech has been at this store for 10 years and has worked the same shift all the time. However, she has no idea how to use the computer and is around 70+ in age, so she is delegated to pick-up, putting away the order, and occasionally production.

The two new techs(9AM-8PM, 12PM-10PM) have been with CVS for quite a while but they moved into the pharmacy department from the front store department. They took some "lead technician" class and all of a sudden they are making the store's schedule, and the people in charge asides from the pharmacist. (I still have to teach them stuff about the computer system, sig codes, calculations, etc from time to time.)

I've been with the company for 3 1/2 years, P2 intern, most adapt of out of the employees with the computer system. The other intern is a P3 intern, she's been with us for 2 1/2 years, she's pretty decent with the computer as well.

Personally, I see me and the P3 intern as the most valuable employees to this particular store even though we can only work 8 hours/week during the school year.

If the pharmacist had the needs of the business in mind, they would have given me and the P3 intern the majority of the hours when we were off school, and reduced the hours of the techs. If this **** continues, I'm just going to request a transfer to another CVS, probably the one where my former supervisor works, or to this other store that hires mostly interns and very little amount of techs (and the pharmacist is pretty cool with me too... as long as I'm in dress code.)

Honestly Sparda, Here is what i would do if this were my store: I would get rid of anyone not capable of doing what I ask of them...That is I would make them quit...In my eyes, you are as valuable to me as the time you put in...I heartfully understand that you are an intern, but the mere fact that you are the best they got and can only work 8 hours weekly poses a problem to me...Ive said it in the past and I will say it again...I dont really care what anyones issues or circumstances are...Im there to run a business...I need people who can work and work when I NEED them...I will accommodate as best as I can, I need good help and I need it during peak hours...And When I find that good help...Im gonna use them and abuse them 🙂 The fact that you are available 8 hours does not help your argument...I would find techs that were good and available and give them the hours...

Sparda, you are an intern...your priority is school and grades...You would be of little use to me and I would use you sparingly...Anyway, that is how I ran my CVS back in the day (last year)...and its how we run our business...The business comes first...and I certainly would not be letting new techs do the schedule...Dont take it personally Sparda...Its just business 🙂

Oh and a business is a 365 day operation for the most part...I wouldnt reduce their hours to accommodate you if my techs were adequate...Again, I dont know how well you work and i dont know anything about you...All im saying is that you are too limited in hours to be worried about hours,,,
 
Your pharmacy supervisor should have a skeleton schedule available based upon your store's script count. I would bring this issue up with your PIC to make sure that the schedule is being created in adherence to the store's skeleton schedule.
 
Honestly Sparda, Here is what i would do if this were my store: I would get rid of anyone not capable of doing what I ask of them...That is I would make them quit...In my eyes, you are as valuable to me as the time you put in...I heartfully understand that you are an intern, but the mere fact that you are the best they got and can only work 8 hours weekly poses a problem to me...Ive said it in the past and I will say it again...I dont really care what anyones issues or circumstances are...Im there to run a business...I need people who can work and work when I NEED them...I will accommodate as best as I can, I need good help and I need it during peak hours...And When I find that good help...Im gonna use them and abuse them 🙂 The fact that you are available 8 hours does not help your argument...I would find techs that were good and available and give them the hours...

Sparda, you are an intern...your priority is school and grades...You would be of little use to me and I would use you sparingly...Anyway, that is how I ran my CVS back in the day (last year)...and its how we run our business...The business comes first...and I certainly would not be letting new techs do the schedule...Dont take it personally Sparda...Its just business 🙂

Oh and a business is a 365 day operation for the most part...I wouldnt reduce their hours to accommodate you if my techs were adequate...Again, I dont know how well you work and i dont know anything about you...All im saying is that you are too limited in hours to be worried about hours,,,

Right, but when I'm on vacation, I expect the pharmacy manager to boost me from 8 hours to 20-30 hours/week and take that out of the technician's hours. When you have an intern, the burden of MD calls, taking prescriptions, calling MD's for refills, compounding, etc, can be put on to the intern instead of the pharmacist having to juggle all of that on top of verifying.

With an intern performing all those tasks as well as drop off, the pharmacist can concentrate completely on counseling and verification.
 
Right, but when I'm on vacation, I expect the pharmacy manager to boost me from 8 hours to 20-30 hours/week and take that out of the technician's hours. When you have an intern, the burden of MD calls, taking prescriptions, calling MD's for refills, compounding, etc, can be put on to the intern instead of the pharmacist having to juggle all of that on top of verifying.

With an intern performing all those tasks as well as drop off, the pharmacist can concentrate completely on counseling and verification.

I can understand where Dr. M is coming from. But yeah you are a student and you do need some money. Anyways, CVS corporate office doesn't pay its interns??? I remember at Wal-mart the Pharmacy Managers would love it when I got on vacation....i would auto get 40 hours/week (no more though...wal-mart is stricklers for o/t). This is because it didn't come from the stores paycheck but the corporate internship. No techs had to cut hours and I didn't have to decrease my hours. You should look around for a company that has interns paid through corporate.
 
Right, but when I'm on vacation, I expect the pharmacy manager to boost me from 8 hours to 20-30 hours/week and take that out of the technician's hours. When you have an intern, the burden of MD calls, taking prescriptions, calling MD's for refills, compounding, etc, can be put on to the intern instead of the pharmacist having to juggle all of that on top of verifying.

With an intern performing all those tasks as well as drop off, the pharmacist can concentrate completely on counseling and verification.

Sorry, business is first. If the hours are there, they are yours. But I am certainly not going to cut any techs hours (whom are good techs) to give to you...Thats messed up. if you arent available when I need you, then you are of no use to me...Regardless if you are an intern...Sorry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, business is first. If the hours are there, they are yours. But I am certainly not going to cut any techs hours (whom are good techs) to give to you...Thats messed up. if you arent available when I need you, then you are of no use to me...Regardless if you are an intern...Sorry.

well you have no interest in training a replacement for yourself. A chain has a vested interest in watching out for the balance of time between giving good techs work and investing their payroll dollars in developing new talent for their other stores. (ie training and supervising interns, which may not always be a big winner $$ wise for the pharmacy due to their inflexible hours and the amount of training time needed for so few hours). It doesnt make sense at all to tailor your payroll hours to your interns needs at an independent, but as a chain it pays off in the end to be able to hire people who already know your system and can save you from spending $60 an hour just to train a guy after they graduate.
 
Last edited:
well you have no interest in training a replacement for yourself. A chain has a vested interest in watching out for the balance of time between giving good techs work and investing their payroll dollars in developing new talent for their other stores. (ie training and supervising interns, which may not always be a big winner $$ wise for the pharmacy due to their inflexible hours and the amount of training time needed for so few hours). It doesnt make sense at all to tailor your payroll hours to your interns needs at an independent, but as a chain it pays off in the end to be able to hire people who already know your system and can save you from spending $60 an hour just to train a guy after they graduate.

What????I am talking about a chain...I use to manage one of the busiest CVS's in our region for 3 years...actually the PIC that replaced me 7 months ago just quit...I have no need for an intern at the store I own...Student...get it straight...actually u will once you are filling 500 rx's a day with crappy help...I learned very quickly once i saw what kind of help I had...And once I put my 2 week notice and CVS found out i was opening a store they had no interest in me training my replacement...Your comment actually is laughable...I'll be the arrogant prick I use to be and tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about...

The Chains have a vested interest in MONEY...They have a vested interest in the bottom line...They do not have strong interest in spending MONEY on an intern...Thats why they have allotted money for interns...RVC, ICH etc...I really dont think you will get it...Student...dont get defensive by my remarks...Im just telling you how it is...The truth hurts sometimes...CVS, Walgreens, or whatever chain is a Business..Thats really all it is...Its the bottom line...and in this case, in my opnion...I just would not cut my Techs hours, if they are good, to accommodate an intern...sorry...
 
What????I am talking about a chain...I use to manage one of the busiest CVS's in our region for 3 years...actually the PIC that replaced me 7 months ago just quit...I have no need for an intern at the store I own...Student...get it straight...actually u will once you are filling 500 rx's a day with crappy help...I learned very quickly once i saw what kind of help I had...And once I put my 2 week notice and CVS found out i was opening a store they had no interest in me training my replacement...Your comment actually is laughable...I'll be the arrogant prick I use to be and tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about...

The Chains have a vested interest in MONEY...They have a vested interest in the bottom line...They do not have strong interest in spending MONEY on an intern...Thats why they have allotted money for interns...RVC, ICH etc...I really dont think you will get it...Student...dont get defensive by my remarks...Im just telling you how it is...The truth hurts sometimes...CVS, Walgreens, or whatever chain is a Business..Thats really all it is...Its the bottom line...and in this case, in my opnion...I just would not cut my Techs hours, if they are good, to accommodate an intern...sorry...
From the money standpoint, it seems much more efficient having a pharmacist + intern. Legally, interns can do more than techs (calling MDs, taking prescriptions, etc) which leaves the pharmacist free to do more. And of course, chains love cutting hours, so perhaps with that little bit of extra time the pharmacist now has, well, you won't need an overlap anymore.
 
What????I am talking about a chain...I use to manage one of the busiest CVS's in our region for 3 years...actually the PIC that replaced me 7 months ago just quit...I have no need for an intern at the store I own...Student...get it straight...actually u will once you are filling 500 rx's a day with crappy help...I learned very quickly once i saw what kind of help I had...And once I put my 2 week notice and CVS found out i was opening a store they had no interest in me training my replacement...Your comment actually is laughable...I'll be the arrogant prick I use to be and tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about...

The Chains have a vested interest in MONEY...They have a vested interest in the bottom line...They do not have strong interest in spending MONEY on an intern...Thats why they have allotted money for interns...RVC, ICH etc...I really dont think you will get it...Student...dont get defensive by my remarks...Im just telling you how it is...The truth hurts sometimes...CVS, Walgreens, or whatever chain is a Business..Thats really all it is...Its the bottom line...and in this case, in my opnion...I just would not cut my Techs hours, if they are good, to accommodate an intern...sorry...

I am sure type b pharmD means well. However students need to less responding and more reading on certain issues. For instance issues dealing with the practice of pharmacy by currently licensed pharmacists. I chuckle reading most of type b pharmD's posts. Oh to be a naivie thinks they no it all student again.
 
First, no individual chain retail pharmacy store has any vested interest in seeing their intern becoming a successful pharmacist beyond their personal gratification and their wishes for the student to do well. Except in rare cases, they won't take the business over for you, they won't be working with you when they graduate, and they very likely won't even see you after they leave school. In an independent pharmacy, yeah, I can see that, but chain pharmacies aren't particularly strong about individual loyalties.

Second, it's probably true that the 8 hours a week you work are more valuable to the pharmacy than any given 8 hours worked by one of the technicians because of your expanded abilities. However, the extra 100 hours you may be able to pick up over the summer may not necessarily be more valuable than the 100 hours they would have worked + the amount of bitching you'd have to put up with for cutting the hours of full time people who potentially could be at the store as a long-term technician + the potential time you'll have to spend training a new technician when your full-time technician, who needs the hours, transfers elsewhere where they can get their hours + the lost production of an employee who feels jilted. I don't care if you can type 1000 gwam and can count by hundreds in a matter of seconds, if you can only be in the pharmacy for 8 hours a week for three quarters of the year, you're not worth risking the happiness (effectiveness) of the people in the pharmacy the other 100 hours a week.
 
I am sure type b pharmD means well. However students need to less responding and more reading on certain issues. For instance issues dealing with the practice of pharmacy by currently licensed pharmacists. I chuckle reading most of type b pharmD's posts. Oh to be a naivie thinks they no it all student again.

Yeah, I should just chuckle too...but sometimes i cant let things go...and i too use to be naive...thinking i would go to CVS and make this huge difference...I quickly found that i basically had to kiss ass big time to just get a few extra tech hours...screw that crap!
 
From the money standpoint, it seems much more efficient having a pharmacist + intern. Legally, interns can do more than techs (calling MDs, taking prescriptions, etc) which leaves the pharmacist free to do more. And of course, chains love cutting hours, so perhaps with that little bit of extra time the pharmacist now has, well, you won't need an overlap anymore.

...and what do you do when the intern goes back to school or decides they can only work 4 hours a week during school? Interns are great but the technicians are the ones you work with and depend on everyday. If you're an intern and you want to work at my store you do it under my terms and for the hours and days I need you. If you can't then oh well.
 
From the money standpoint, it seems much more efficient having a pharmacist + intern. Legally, interns can do more than techs (calling MDs, taking prescriptions, etc) which leaves the pharmacist free to do more. And of course, chains love cutting hours, so perhaps with that little bit of extra time the pharmacist now has, well, you won't need an overlap anymore.

ok, yes, interns can legally do more, yes...but when i cut the techs and give the intern more hours, my intern becomes a tech...It does not benefit me anymore than before...If my intern was free and didnt go against budget, I was in heaven...Once the intern was charged to the store, my life was no better than before...you get it?? I kept the techs happy, cause they are there all year round...they made my life easier...just because an intern was available full time for 3 months, I did not cut any techs hours, ever...

Let me get one thing straight, I would prefer to have an intern, but not at the expense of my hard working techs...The company is the one making the rules; I still control who works when...
 
I have no expectations of my employer magically finding 40 hours a week in work for me to do when summer hits. If I dont get into a structured internship like I applied for, it seems Ill be having to find a 3rd PRN job to keep myself busy.

Gots to do what youve gots to do.
 
I have no expectations of my employer magically finding 40 hours a week in work for me to do when summer hits. If I dont get into a structured internship like I applied for, it seems Ill be having to find a 3rd PRN job to keep myself busy.

Gots to do what youve gots to do.

Yes, you have to do what you have to do...Its a business...businesses break for nobody...especially these huge chains...You do get it...thank you...:laugh:
 
Sorry, business is first. If the hours are there, they are yours. But I am certainly not going to cut any techs hours (whom are good techs) to give to you...Thats messed up. if you arent available when I need you, then you are of no use to me...Regardless if you are an intern...Sorry.

And right now, I would say they are not good techs, we had a few good techs a few months ago, but they all quit because CVS refused to give them the raises they wanted.
 
And right now, I would say they are not good techs, we had a few good techs a few months ago, but they all quit because CVS refused to give them the raises they wanted.

Are you available full time now? Cause if they arent good techs then you are my star chief...You want the hours, then work now cause im trying to run a business...cause if they arent good techs, and you arent available, there would be major restructuring going on if I were there...See, you want the best of both worlds...cant happen...I remember having a PIC when I was an intern who was fair to me but at the same time expected alot out of me...He didnt care what my situation was with school...I guess thats where I get it from...
 
I can understand where Dr. M is coming from. But yeah you are a student and you do need some money. Anyways, CVS corporate office doesn't pay its interns??? I remember at Wal-mart the Pharmacy Managers would love it when I got on vacation....i would auto get 40 hours/week (no more though...wal-mart is stricklers for o/t). This is because it didn't come from the stores paycheck but the corporate internship. No techs had to cut hours and I didn't have to decrease my hours. You should look around for a company that has interns paid through corporate.

really? explain to me how you understand where im coming from...Im not being a smart ass..I just want to know your experience with the topic as a pharmacy manager...what would you do as a pharmacy manager if your intern came to you and said "ok, school is out, i want 30 hrs and i want you to take the hours from the other techs, im better than them blah blah blah..."
 
And right now, I would say they are not good techs, we had a few good techs a few months ago, but they all quit because CVS refused to give them the raises they wanted.

hmmm...ive never seen a superior tech quit cause of that...Ive seen mediocre techs or people that dont belong in a pharmacy quit...Most superior techs ive worked with have exceptional abilities and work ethics better than mine...I guess i just have a different style of managing...perhaps not superior to anyone else, just different...Ive honestly, in the 10 years ive been in this business, never had an outstanding tech quit on me cause of pay...And why did CVS refuse their raises? Too many questions, very few answers...
 
hmmm...ive never seen a superior tech quit cause of that...Ive seen mediocre techs or people that dont belong in a pharmacy quit...Most superior techs ive worked with have exceptional abilities and work ethics better than mine...I guess i just have a different style of managing...perhaps not superior to anyone else, just different...Ive honestly, in the 10 years ive been in this business, never had an outstanding tech quit on me cause of pay...And why did CVS refuse their raises? Too many questions, very few answers...

CVS only wanted to pay those dudes like $9/hr, while they were looking for around $12-13/hour, and they got what they wanted out of Walgreens so they quit. If the pharmacist realized that they were good techs, they would have bitched to the district pharmacy supervisor every day until they got their techs the pay raise.

Hell, I'm also thinking about bringing up my yearly threaten to quit unless I get a raise very soon. What I want is $20/hour. How is it that hospital techs and interns get paid $20+ but retail techs/interns get paid a lot less? The funny part is that the retail pharmacists get more pay then the hospital pharmacists.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CVS only wanted to pay those dudes like $9/hr, while they were looking for around $12-13/hour, and they got what they wanted out of Walgreens so they quit. If the pharmacist realized that they were good techs, they would have bitched to the district pharmacy supervisor every day until they got their techs the pay raise.

Hell, I'm also thinking about bringing up my yearly threaten to quit unless I get a raise very soon. What I want is $20/hour. How is it that hospital techs and interns get paid $20+ but retail techs/interns get paid a lot less? The funny part is that the retail pharmacists get more pay then the hospital pharmacists.

I hear you there, but we all think we deserve more...and perhaps we do...but the reality is they will laugh at you...Be realistic Sparda...Dont go to your review demanding, cause you will look like a jackass...Go to your review prepared...but dont be demanding and threatning, cause if you are the supervisor will probably laugh...You are replaceable sparda...We all are..
 
I hear you there, but we all think we deserve more...and perhaps we do...but the reality is they will laugh at you...Be realistic Sparda...Dont go to your review demanding, cause you will look like a jackass...Go to your review prepared...but dont be demanding and threatning, cause if you are the supervisor will probably laugh...You are replaceable sparda...We all are..

👍 Besides CVS interns being paid on a mandatory pay scale unlike technicians, there is no way you are worth 20 dollars an hour.

20 dollars an hour gets me two well paid techs that can take care of PA's, customer service, and allow me more room to maneuver with. A P1/P2 intern at most helps relieve the MD phone calls during rush hour which doesn't say much..

Hospitals might pay well but they don't apply to your seniority once you graduate, does not guarantee you a job before you graduate. Furthermore, the pay equals out once you are a P4 and you make more as a graduate intern.

Just to give you an idea on how much you are worth... I get interns who work for free on rotation that are excellent help. Their pay is learning the trade allowing them to become better pharmacists once they get out with less chances of making mistakes. Something that most students don't think about as I sure didn't...

A student who never work before might not know that that metro comes both vaginally and general topical use, derma smooth has scalp and body applications, usual dosages, interactions to watch out for, etc. In addition, their experience helps them that much better in school as they can relate their working experience to classwork.
 
Last edited:
really? explain to me how you understand where im coming from...Im not being a smart ass..I just want to know your experience with the topic as a pharmacy manager...what would you do as a pharmacy manager if your intern came to you and said "ok, school is out, i want 30 hrs and i want you to take the hours from the other techs, im better than them blah blah blah..."

look, you don't have to be an ass (yes you are being a smart ass). I might not be a pharmacy manager but I do agree that someone who you can count on is going to be better than an intern (who might be the best in the world) but isn't there when it is busy or when you need them.

I never disagreed with you that a pharmacy manager should give their interns x amount of hours. I meerly stated that sparda should try a hand in another pharmacy that bills corporate instead of the store.
 
look, you don't have to be an ass (yes you are being a smart ass). I might not be a pharmacy manager but I do agree that someone who you can count on is going to be better than an intern (who might be the best in the world) but isn't there when it is busy or when you need them.

I never disagreed with you that a pharmacy manager should give their interns x amount of hours. I meerly stated that sparda should try a hand in another pharmacy that bills corporate instead of the store.

I'm not being an ass, im being arrogant. Thats how I am. I dont have many friends...i like it that way...it keeps me from putting up with complete dip****s. Anyway, like I said before, I take care of the people who are with me year round...Interns come and go...My second family is my business partner and my techs...We are one big happy family...

And chill out...and Im not calling you a dip****...I just speak my mind
 
Last edited:
So yesterday ending up being the first day that we tried the pharmacist + 1 intern combination. It didn't help that yesterday was waiting bin day, we ended up leaving the pharmacy with about 2-3 pages of stuff still left to do in the queue.

Honestly, there HAS to be someone to just manage the pick-up area at all times. Production should never stop just because a customer shows up to pick up a prescription. That's one thing about me, I never stop and drop what I'm doing just because there is a customer standing there or if we get a phone call.
 
So yesterday ending up being the first day that we tried the pharmacist + 1 intern combination. It didn't help that yesterday was waiting bin day, we ended up leaving the pharmacy with about 2-3 pages of stuff still left to do in the queue.

Honestly, there HAS to be someone to just manage the pick-up area at all times. Production should never stop just because a customer shows up to pick up a prescription. That's one thing about me, I never stop and drop what I'm doing just because there is a customer standing there or if we get a phone call.

And why not?
 
Always finish what you are doing. Like if I'm counting something, if I stop, I could forget or someone else could step in and think it is done and whatnot.
Yep, I've definitely been taught not to leave anything half-counted, for the same reasons. Although if I was doing something else, I'm sure it could wait if someone showed up.
 
So yesterday ending up being the first day that we tried the pharmacist + 1 intern combination. It didn't help that yesterday was waiting bin day, we ended up leaving the pharmacy with about 2-3 pages of stuff still left to do in the queue.

Honestly, there HAS to be someone to just manage the pick-up area at all times. Production should never stop just because a customer shows up to pick up a prescription. That's one thing about me, I never stop and drop what I'm doing just because there is a customer standing there or if we get a phone call.

Like I said, you become a technician, a more expensive tech...And That's not very good customer service if you don't go help the patient if your counting something...The pills will be there when you get back...Look, I have experience in service...I'm gonna toot my own horn and say That I give exceptional service...You stop what your doing and go help the patient...And if you cant get there, you acknowledge them with "Hello Mr/Mrs ______, I will be right with you" I guess I was trained differently...When I was at CVS I trained the techs to go help the patient and acknowledge...Every single pt, by their name...Every single one...and if you didnt know their name, learn it. But thats just me...
 
Yep, I've definitely been taught not to leave anything half-counted, for the same reasons. Although if I was doing something else, I'm sure it could wait if someone showed up.

I would retrain you...GO HELP the patient...Production is an integral part of PSI or whatever its called, but when its just you and the pharmacist, the Tech/intern go helps the pt and the pharmacist continues where the tech/intern left off...I know it sucks and not good work flow, but I would do that, stack my baskets, and cont filling until the tech/intern came back...
 
Always finish what you are doing. Like if I'm counting something, if I stop, I could forget or someone else could step in and think it is done and whatnot.

No, go help the patient...if your in the middle of counting, pour the pills back in the stock bottle, help the pt, come back start over...Or tell the rph that your going to help the pt and let him/her know where you're at...
 
Like I said, you become a technician, a more expensive tech...And That's not very good customer service if you don't go help the patient if your counting something...The pills will be there when you get back...Look, I have experience in service...I'm gonna toot my own horn and say That I give exceptional service...You stop what your doing and go help the patient...And if you cant get there, you acknowledge them with "Hello Mr/Mrs ______, I will be right with you" I guess I was trained differently...When I was at CVS I trained the techs to go help the patient and acknowledge...Every single pt, by their name...Every single one...and if you didnt know their name, learn it. But thats just me...

2 weeks ago we had a dispensing incident occur because I was told to stop what I was doing and go help a customer, when I came back, someone had taken the pills I was counting, assumed I had completed it, and then gave it to the customer. Customer was shorted 100 pills.
 
2 weeks ago we had a dispensing incident occur because I was told to stop what I was doing and go help a customer, when I came back, someone had taken the pills I was counting, assumed I had completed it, and then gave it to the customer. Customer was shorted 100 pills.

So you need to communicate with the staff or pour the pills back in the bottle...you just dont get it...Thats fine, but you are wrong...Thats my perspective...Anyway, i hope you acknowledge the pt at least...And also whomever told you to stop what you were doing should have finished the counting...Anyway, to each their own...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So you need to communicate with the staff or pour the pills back in the bottle...you just dont get it...Thats fine, but you are wrong...Thats my perspective...Anyway, i hope you acknowledge the pt at least...And also whomever told you to stop what you were doing should have finished the counting...Anyway, to each their own...

I am with Sparda on this one. One of the biggest problems in retail pharmacy is the amount of distractions. Distractions largely brought on by inadequate staff and poor pharmacy design. I am a firm believer in finishing one task from start to completion before moving on to another be it counting, verifying or whatever. Stopping for every little distraction is the fastest way to make an error and get a whole lot of nothing done. I would love to be able to stop and chat and a acknowledge every single patient who comes in. If I did that nothing would get done and then where would I be? Running retail pharmacies like this is not my idea. I am not going to lose my license or get disciplined by the board because I have half the staff I should and I am trying to be superman and do 20 things at once.
 
Have you ever worked in a retail pharmacy?

Yes. But it was an independent that was very well staffed. I was just curious as to his statement, because it seems like when you ignore a customer they're less likely to ask for counseling or other help because they feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. But of course you would know more than I.
 
Yes. But it was an independent that was very well staffed. I was just curious as to his statement, because it seems like when you ignore a customer they're less likely to ask for counseling or other help because they feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. But of course you would know more than I.

Not necessarily ignore a customer, I just tell them I'll be there in a few mins.
 
I am with Sparda on this one. One of the biggest problems in retail pharmacy is the amount of distractions. Distractions largely brought on by inadequate staff and poor pharmacy design. I am a firm believer in finishing one task from start to completion before moving on to another be it counting, verifying or whatever. Stopping for every little distraction is the fastest way to make an error and get a whole lot of nothing done. I would love to be able to stop and chat and a acknowledge every single patient who comes in. If I did that nothing would get done and then where would I be? Running retail pharmacies like this is not my idea. I am not going to lose my license or get disciplined by the board because I have half the staff I should and I am trying to be superman and do 20 things at once.

Wow, I think this is the first time we have disagreed! It's all good though Mountain...Anyway, Retail is all distractions...I found that when you help the customer ASAP, they are less likely to start any problems that may arise...The public is funny that way...In filling 3000+ rxs weekly at that godforsaken crap hole, I found that whenever the pts were serviced ASAP and with service above and beyond, they were less likely to give me any problems when issues did arise...Let them stand there and wait for you to finish and you thought you had stolen their life from them...Jeez...Anyway, that is how i was trained and thats how I train...The distractions will always be there...but the patient is number 1...And we are talking about counting pills here...those pills arent walking away...:laugh:

And I agree with you that if you are verifying, you should finish...I am talking about a tech/intern counting pills...I never said to stop in the middle of verifying...I guess I prioritize here...Counting is counting, its not that hard...I could see the pts walking up from the corner of my eye and I would just acknowledge them without looking up...I would cont what I was doing but my tech would stop counting and immediately go to the pt...As soon as I finished verifying, I would finish what he/she started...The pt was rung up, the script the tech was working on is counted and verified and we move on...
 
Last edited: