Confused about AMCAS and MCAT retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm submitting my AMCAS on June 10, with my bad MCAT score. The thing, it's NOT a competitive score (below 25) and was a complete fluke (I should have voided, given my personal circumstances -- i scored 30+ on the practice... let's just say personal stuff happened that day ).

I"m retaking the MCAT on June 20th however, the score will be available July 20thish. How does this work? Will schools judge me by my first mcat score and make their decision, or will they not see my app until the new MCAT score?

Basically: will schools hold off on evaluating me until the new score comes out?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes, they will dont worry
I have the same situation almost except I am retaking my MCAT in August.
But would't holding off the application until the new score makes the whole application ''late" and is there a possibility that schools might send secondaries or interview invites based on the first score (assuming the 1st score is close to the school average)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same situation almost except I am retaking my MCAT in August.
But would't holding off the application until the new score makes the whole application ''late" and is there a possibility that schools might send secondaries or interview invites based on the first score (assuming the 1st score is close to the school average)?

Well obviously it won't be super early, like we'd like... but I'm going to give it a try, hopefully my higher MCAT score outweight the risk. I agree though: will schools reject us solely on the first score, or judge us including the NEW score?

edit: looks like the consensus is that they WON"t judge you based on your old one.. they'll look at new/old scores.

thanks for replying. However, is there a possiplity that schools will send out secondries or interview invites by only looking at the first MCAT score and without waiting for the release of the second score? That is what is the trend in such a suituation.

I'm submitting my AMCAS on June 10, with my bad MCAT score. The thing, it's NOT a competitive score (below 25) and was a complete fluke (I should have voided, given my personal circumstances -- i scored 30+ on the practice... let's just say personal stuff happened that day ).

I"m retaking the MCAT on June 20th however, the score will be available July 20thish. How does this work? Will schools judge me by my first mcat score and make their decision, or will they not see my app until the new MCAT score?

Basically: will schools hold off on evaluating me until the new score comes out?
if you receive and submit a secondary with your old score do not be surprised if you are rejected before your "new' score posts.

This is why you submit an AMCAS primary without designating all schools until you are ready.