confused about completing undegrad. Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anut04ka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, here is a little info about me:

My next semester will be the last one for my undegraduate degree. I am majoring in Psychology and minoring in Chemistry. I have volunteer experience, lots of extracurricular activities such as clubs, organizations, community service, job as a personal trainer. I took an independent study in Psychology research lab. My science GPA is something like 3.2, and overall GPA is 3.67.

I am planning to take the MCAT this coming April. Therefore I want to make smart decision about the course load for the spring semester.

Yet at the same time I want to make sure to finish my undergraduate degree with enough qualifications for Med School.

I need to take 2 more psychology classes (3 credits each)to complete my major, and I have 16 creits left. If I take those 2 classes next semester I will have 10 credits left.

Thats where I am not sure about what I should do. I have few options:

1. I could take all those 16 credits next semester by taking few electives such as Language, Yoga, Religion, and then spend next year working, participating in research, volunteering and exploring life without academics. (which I would like the most), but then I'm not sure if that's too much with MCAT coming up.

2. I could take only some of those credits next semester and fulfill others by extending my undergrad to fifth year.

3. I could take 12 credits next semester and take Honors Psychology to graduate with honors either during the summer or fall semester. (Do you feel like being an Honor student will qualify me more for medschool?)

4. I could stay in school for 5th year and get double major in Psych/Biochem by taking few advanced science courses.

Well, it seems like it all comes down to either taking it easy during the Spring and getting ready for MCAT and then going to back to school next year, or working hard during the spring and start new life next year.

What option do you see as the best?
What do you think are my chances for MedSchool?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If money is no option, I would extend my undergrad a year. This would let you avoid the inevitable "what have you been doing since graduation?" question.

You could finish up your degree and take whatever classes you find interesting without pressure to fit everything in. All while further strengthening your EC's and GPA.

MY 2 cents.

Another option might be to take 12 units spring, rock the MCAT, walk for graduation (if your school allows it) and then take the last class in summer. It sounds like you want to explore the world a bit before med school, and I think the break from academics can be greatly benefical, mostly for personal reasons. I don't think a double major or honors will help you significantly, but if you want it, than go for it. Since I am one of those people that applied while still in school, I can testify to how difficult it is to juggle interviews all over the country with a full course load, work, research, volunteering, etc. If you have an idea of something to do in your year off (research, clinical, volunteer, work, etc) I think that would make you a more well rounded applicant in the long run.

However, if you're thinking about stayin in school another year, take some more upper div sciences courses and increase your science gpa. It's not bad, but if you're staying in school anyway...

Members don't see this ad :)
i think regardless of the schedule, you should take few UD science to raise that sci gpa.

chandelantern said:
Another option might be to take 12 units spring, rock the MCAT, walk for graduation (if your school allows it) and then take the last class in summer. It sounds like you want to explore the world a bit before med school, and I think the break from academics can be greatly benefical, mostly for personal reasons. I don't think a double major or honors will help you significantly, but if you want it, than go for it. Since I am one of those people that applied while still in school, I can testify to how difficult it is to juggle interviews all over the country with a full course load, work, research, volunteering, etc. If you have an idea of something to do in your year off (research, clinical, volunteer, work, etc) I think that would make you a more well rounded applicant in the long run.

However, if you're thinking about stayin in school another year, take some more upper div sciences courses and increase your science gpa. It's not bad, but if you're staying in school anyway...

Yes, actually I really would like to expore life a little before fully commiting myself to medschool. Sometimes I feel like I haven't seen much in this life, just studying, studying and more studying. In the perfect world I would like to ace MCAT by August and then move out of my parents house, get a job, volunteer somewhere, or maybe travel and volunteer somewhere abroad.

Yet at the same time I do see that I could raise that GPA a little by taking more classes. So, I need to make this decision soon. Plus if I don't do that well on the MCAT now then I'll need to study next year again. :(

Thank you for your advice

chandelantern said:
I don't think a double major or honors will help you significantly, but if you want it, than go for it.

Does anyone know how medschools view honors? Someone told me that it really does look good for them.

Plus, could honors and independent study in psych be considered as a research experience?

My premed advisor told me that I shouldn't worry about having research experience, but somehow I'm not sure if she is right. What do you think?

Hey guys my question is on the same track as this one!!
anyway, im junior and a biochem major and next semester im planning on taking my MCAT and right now my courseload looks like Biochem II, Physiology, Instrumental Chem, and two honors classes (i think its about 19 credits)...my problem is, the two honors classes are required (they must be taken next spring) and I wanted to finish my biochem sequence and physiology this year...I was planning on graduating a semester early, so if i don't take instrumental this spring, I wouldn't be able to graduate early since my school only offers instrumental in the spring. Anyway, do you guys think the schedule is doable with studying for MCATs or should I just take my instrumental class next spring?
I was just looking for some feedback since everyone I talked to doesn't have an opinion about it.

What do you guys think?

I have that same question! How much does Honors help? I was referred into the Honors program by my Biology teacher, but the classes required are either a) classes I've already taken (withouth the honors emphasis) or b) a lot of fluffy stuff that's non-science related. I've already completed ALL of my electives-- as I went from a Psych major to a Biology major w/ a minor in Psych.
So... does Honors make that much of a difference? It'd add a year to my already 5.5 bachelor's degree...

please give us some opinion

thank you :)