confused about foreign coursework & AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied abroad my junior year and received transfer credits (no grades) from my US undergrad institution. It is my understanding from reading the AMCAS instructions that I'm supposed request a transcript exception. I think I'm supposed to list the courses under the foreign institution and put "P" under OT grade. Is this correct? Also, I'm not sure about the credits. Should I put what credit appears on my U.S. undergrad transcript (1 -- usually converts to 3.5 when I'm entering it under my U.S. school but doesn't convert when I enter it under the foreign school). Is anyone else in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm not sure if your program is like the one I did...but for me all of my classes that I took abroad transferred back to my home school (they are on my home school transcript) with grades and credits. So, for me, I just entered that year as "International Study Done Through Undergraduate Institution" or whatever that option was called (you had three options when filling out coursework...either summer classes or study abroad or neither) and then just filled it in as it was on my transcript. Does that make any sense? Anyhow, I never got questioned about it, so I guess I did it right!

My courses from England are on my U.S. undergrad transcript as "TR" = pass. There are no grades. I dunno... I guess they'll tell me if I did it wrong? I entered them under my foreign school with P/F and the credits as they appeared on my U.S. transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they are on your undergrad transcript than I am almost certain you don't list them as being taken at a foreign university but as being taken through your US school. Then, all of them just get a grade of pass.

Which school did you study at? I studied at King's in London!

Hey, me too!! YAY King's College London.
Anyway, I think I screwed up when requesting the trascript exception and put "Independent Attendance". Now I can't click on it anymore -- it's blue on my screen rather than white. Anyway, I started getting confused when I couldn't recall ever saying which undergrad institution accepted the credits.

lola, did you get your foreign coursework figured out? my school gave me p/f grades, but when i contacted the institute with which i did the coursework they said they gave me grades, it was my school that changed it to grades. so the transcript that will be sent to amcas is from the foreign study institution and has grades on it. these i entered in coursework.
my regular college didn't even list the classes on my OT. it just says transfer credit.

hope this helped.
through what institute did you study abroad?

pocwana,
i requested a transcript exception for my foreign coursework, because the grades (even though i got them) weren't transferred to my u.s. undergraduate institution. you actually requested the foreign transcript? it was my understanding that amcas didn't want the foreign transcript unless you went through a study abroad program and received grades at the institution where the credits transferred. hmm... now i'm confused -- AGAIN! what i ended up doing was listing them under my u.s. school and writing "tr", which is what it says on my u.s. transcript. i'm pretty sure they don't want grades from foreign institutions unless a u.s. institution accepted the grades. i wish they did want grades, because it would probably raise my science gpa.

This is what I selected when I requested the transcript exception:

Foreign college outside of the U.S., U.S. Territories, Canada, or American Colleges Overseas

Independent attendance - credits transferred to a U.S. or Canadian institution

lola
i just got through to amcas.
they told me that, since my college just took my units as p/f, then that's what i put the courses down as, p/f.
my school doesn't break down the courses on my transcript, but it does on the listing of my courses online. even though the school doesn't break it down, the amcas lady told me to enter the courses under the foreign institution name that i received credit for at my school and just click the p/np box.
sorry if this is confusing.

i selected the same options.
i just put the courses under the foreign institution.

g/l

ha! that's funny b/c the guy at amcas told me not to list them under my foreign institution. i originally had them there (b/c i thought that's what it said to do in the instructions). what do you mean the school doesn't break them down? you mean each course is not listed on your u.s. transcript? on my u.s. transcript they show up like this:
physical chemistry 1.0cr tr
chem of the environment 1.0cr tr
etc....

as of now there are no courses listed under my foreign institution. the guy at amcas said this was ok.
does it say anything about your u.s. institution accepting the credits anywhere when you put p/f down under the foreign institution? that was my original confusion. i listed the courses, but there was no mention of my u.s. college except when i requested the transcript exception.