confused about how LOE's work!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheel85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about when your application is "sent" to schools. I'm waiting for my evaluators to write and submit their letters. Basically my question is: is my application negatively affected when I take longer to e-submit my application (even if my evaluators haven't submitted their letters) or is it affected when my evaluators take longer to officially submit their letters? I really hope it isn't the latter...Does AADSAS send out the e-submitted application to schools before the letters have officially been received? Thanks for you help

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering about when your application is "sent" to schools. I'm waiting for my evaluators to write and submit their letters. Basically my question is: is my application negatively affected when I take longer to e-submit my application (even if my evaluators haven't submitted their letters) or is it affected when my evaluators take longer to officially submit their letters? I really hope it isn't the latter...Does AADSAS send out the e-submitted application to schools before the letters have officially been received? Thanks for you help

The answer is:

Both have a negative effect.

You can e-submit without your LOEs. They will process your application (process = double check your grades against transcripts and get it ready to send) without your LOEs if you choose to do this. It generally will take up to 6 weeks for AADSAS to process and send your application out. If you choose to delay e-submitting, it just means your will not be processed as early and thus not sent out as early. If you e-submit on June 1st, theoretically your app is sent out around mid July. If your LOEs arrive on July 1st...great, they just get thrown into you app and sent on in mid july when your app is mailed out to schools.

If you e-submit early (again lets say June 1st) but your Evaluators don't write letters for a long time. Your app gets sent, say mid-july. Assuming schools immediately look at your application as soon as they get it...which isn't generally the case...they will see you have no LOEs and toss your app in a pile with the other "incomplete" apps. Finally in August your evaluators get their letters sent ot AADSAS. AADSAS sees that they've already sent your app out and so puts together your LOEs and has them sent out (what's the turnover time? I don't know...a week, two...not sure). When the school gets your LOEs in mid august, lets's say, they put it together with you incomplete application and now toss you in the "completed" application pile to be looked at.

So, being too late in either case can negatively affect you, but if you e-submit early enough and still get your letters in reasonably early...it's really no harm and no foul.