Having doubt about gpa and confused about Smp/MS options? Non trad (ish).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T1Turquoise

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, new to the field and want some advice on how to move forward based on where I am currently. I know it’s not a complete WAMC but I am deciding if I need a masters, etc, so any insight would be incredibly helpful!!

Date of submission: 2025
Overall GPA: 3.438
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Aiming for 21+
State of Residence: NJ (I am also eligible for TMDAS through my dad’s residence in TX and my status as a dependent)

Undergrad Attended: Grand Canyon Uni
Major: Biology
Minor: NA
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: I will have >100hrs general dentistry by applying.
Volunteering Experience: 415, leader of a hospice dreams foundation branch at my Uni, volunteered at a children’s hospital hands on for over a year.
Employment: 1000+ as an analytical chemist/research assistant.
Research: 800+, led own project on the underserved healthcare environment. Anatomy cadaver research, and now a senior member in a genetic engineering project. Multiple posters, abstracts, and presentations some across the country.
Other Extracurriculars: Competitive horseback rider. Artist, jewelry maker/mini sculptures.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans award for scientific poster.
LOR type and strength: Research prof: very strong. General Dentist: strong Science capstone prof: strong/good.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
took some classes at a CC, no upward trend (covid hit me hard mentally and academically, my junior year. Bled into senior year.) Cs are in pre reqs. 3 W’s. (Retakes were A, B, B)
Motivated for dentistry by helping my mom through reconstructive dental work/surgery over a few years. She had been in a severe horse accident. Took me a while to come to this conclusion, tho! :)

School list:
Wish to stay on the east coast

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you need an SMP, or a master's. If anything a post-bacc to raise your Science GPA. But if you have an upward trend in your last year or 2 you still might be fine if you kill the DAT. Kill DAT being 22-23AA+. Even a 21AA would probably be fine. Do you know what state you reside in?

Editing your post to fit the WAMC template might help us a little more in flushing out some details. But regardless your EC's seem fine. What you do will mostly be dictated by how you perform on the DAT.

I don't think you need an SMP, or a master's. If anything a post-bacc to raise your Science GPA. But if you have an upward trend in your last year or 2 you still might be fine if you kill the DAT. Kill DAT being 22-23AA+. Even a 21AA would probably be fine. Do you know what state you reside in?

Editing your post to fit the WAMC template might help us a little more in flushing out some details. But regardless your EC's seem fine. What you do will mostly be dictated by how you perform on the DAT.
Thank you!!! I don’t have an upward trend unfortunately- covid hit during my junior year and it was hard to recover mentally/academically. I live in NJ :) I’ll edit that now, too.

For a post bacc, I’m having trouble finding science classes that aren’t just repeats of lower level classes I’ve taken before. Do you have any advice on finding some courses I could take as a DIY post bacc? Or formal post baccs around me. I think I’d have to take a lot to raise the sgpa greater than 3.3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!!! I don’t have an upward trend unfortunately- covid hit during my junior year and it was hard to recover mentally/academically. I live in NJ :) I’ll edit that now, too.

For a post bacc, I’m having trouble finding science classes that aren’t just repeats of lower level classes I’ve taken before. Do you have any advice on finding some courses I could take as a DIY post bacc? Or formal post baccs around me. I think I’d have to take a lot to raise the sgpa greater than 3.3.
Gotcha, so you're IS program would be Rutgers. I think if you were really considering an SMP you should make sure Rutger's offers some type of interview guarantee or assistance on the application in their program. SMP's can be a high risk/reward. Should you not do well, your chances of acceptances are pretty much null, but should you perform well, your chances are much higher.

You just need to gauge how well you think you can do, SMP's are also not cheap either. Formal or DIY post-baccs could help, and cost much less depending on program. Usually you could see if they offer some type of higher level biology courses to help raise your GPA without retaking classes you already took. I'm not very familiar with post-baccs out east as I'm from mid-west. But DIY would be easier than formal post-bacc but some formal post-bacc programs offer application services and help prep you for the DAT.

I can't be certain which route is best for you. @Mr.Smile12 might be able to offer some more insight into it. But since your Sci GPA is above 3.0 you could technically apply for SMP's. Your overall GPA should be okay (slightly below average, but nothing super concerning if you apply to the right schools), it's just your sci is a little low. Applicants do get in with low sci gpa's but usually they have an upward trend, post bacc credits doing well, SMP's, or have some other hook like a stellar DAT or other things.

Knowing your DAT score would really help. Having a 22+ vs. a 19AA would mean we could be more definitive.

Gotcha, so you're IS program would be Rutgers. I think if you were really considering an SMP you should make sure Rutger's offers some type of interview guarantee or assistance on the application in their program. SMP's can be a high risk/reward. Should you not do well, your chances of acceptances are pretty much null, but should you perform well, your chances are much higher.

You just need to gauge how well you think you can do, SMP's are also not cheap either. Formal or DIY post-baccs could help, and cost much less depending on program. Usually you could see if they offer some type of higher level biology courses to help raise your GPA without retaking classes you already took. I'm not very familiar with post-baccs out east as I'm from mid-west. But DIY would be easier than formal post-bacc but some formal post-bacc programs offer application services and help prep you for the DAT.

I can't be certain which route is best for you. @Mr.Smile12 might be able to offer some more insight into it. But since your Sci GPA is above 3.0 you could technically apply for SMP's. Your overall GPA should be okay (slightly below average, but nothing super concerning if you apply to the right schools), it's just your sci is a little low. Applicants do get in with low sci gpa's but usually they have an upward trend, post bacc credits doing well, SMP's, or have some other hook like a stellar DAT or other things.

Knowing your DAT score would really help. Having a 22+ vs. a 19AA would mean we could be more definitive.
I really appreciate this! I haven’t taken the DAT yet, but I am confident I can show academic improvement. I’ll set my sights on finding some sort of DIY or formal post bacc. I’ll still look at Rutgers SMP, they have a guaranteed interview clause if your GPA is high enough + DAT in their program.

I edited the above post with correct EC hours instead of estimates and put it into the WAMC format, albeit very early, to help show my situation.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Rutgers or a NYC-area SMP would be helpful, provided you have a solid DAT score. Do what you can to post a DAT score to help you with any linkage agreements (qualify for interview at least). Check the Texas eligibility rules for TMDSAS, just in case. You could see about NYC-area postbacs (not SMP), but you should check the prehealth postbac program directors. Good luck on that test!

I think Rutgers or a NYC-area SMP would be helpful, provided you have a solid DAT score. Do what you can to post a DAT score to help you with any linkage agreements (qualify for interview at least). Check the Texas eligibility rules for TMDSAS, just in case. You could see about NYC-area postbacs (not SMP), but you should check the prehealth postbac program directors. Good luck on that test!
Thank you so much! Very encouraging. I’m currently calling some local postbac non SMP programs and asking if I can take the upper level sciences offered in their curriculum since I’ve completed the pre reqs. Kean, Caldwell, etc. Didn’t get anything less than a C so I don’t want to retake haha

I was wondering- I am planning to start taking classes through UNE for a DIY post bacc. They offer upper sciences but with better flexibility, otherwise I’d have to quit my job. Could this be sufficient with a good DAT? I am also applying to Rutgers SMP but that’s not until the spring.

I was wondering- I am planning to start taking classes through UNE for a DIY post bacc. They offer upper sciences but with better flexibility, otherwise I’d have to quit my job. Could this be sufficient with a good DAT? I am also applying to Rutgers SMP but that’s not until the spring.
Which classes?

Immunology, Medical Biochem, Histology, Cell Bio. (12 credits). Still looking at others within their program such as medical physiology, pharmacology, etc, but these are the first choices.