Confused about my URM status...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a nontraditional student that is still considering medical school as an option. I'm wondering how URM status works after it changed in 2003. Does being a South American Hispanic count as URM? From what I understand since the population of s.a. Hispanics is such a small portion in the US, they are not really considered URM... is this correct or horribly wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

To OP: Historically, only Mexican-Americans and mainland Puerto Rican Americans have been counted under URM, but the AAMC revised the definition of URM a few years ago and gave each medical school the freedom to choose who would be an URM.

As it stands now, I am fairly certain that ALL Latinos are included as URM. I guess there could be a preference for certain nationalities, but this would be hard to figure out and each medical school would have discretion about this.

Ultimately, there's no 'URM Box' so you just have to check what you identify as (Latino/Hispanic) and type in your national heritage (your South American country) and the admissions committees will decide the rest.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the help.

Now back to thinking about everything else!

I would like to stress again that regardless of what is said here it is entirely up to the individual school as to whether 1) you are even a URM 2) your URM status matters for your app. You will never find out what the school considered you to be. So don't fret about it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk