Confused about Step 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beckwith-wiedemann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am a US IMG interested in a neurology residency. My step 1 score is 248 and I am honestly confused about the competitiveness of this score. I checked the most recent Charting Outcomes for the IMG of those who matched in 2013, and 248 seems to be quite competitive, but those data reflect test takes in 2011, and with the mean increasing every year I'm not sure where that places me (I plan on applying in 2018). Can I aim for top 5? top 20? Or just middle-tier programs?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Apply anywhere you want. You won't be limited with your score. Sure 250 is better than 248, but no PD is going to screen out your application b/c it's not 250. You've shown your strength with standardized test score, so your application will come down to letters, clerkships, etc etc

I'm no expert, but just from what's been repeated over and over on SDN, I'd have to disagree with malin. Don't get me wrong, neurology isn't that competitive in general and you are definitely competitive to probably match somewhere, but I haven't seen many threads saying IMG's can match to top 5 programs even with stellar everything. Like I said though, I could be wrong by just regurgitating SDN info. Might as well apply anyway if you have the money. Might get lucky, especially if the rest of your app is awesome (research, letters, etc.).

He'd probably want to look at the current residents at any top 5/10 programs he wants to apply to and see if there are any IMGs or US IMGs whatsoever. If there are none over a span of 5 tiers of residents, then your chances are a little bit less than compared to if there are a few of them at the programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
He'd probably want to look at the current residents at any top 5/10 programs he wants to apply to and see if there are any IMGs or US IMGs whatsoever. If there are none over a span of 5 tiers of residents, then your chances are a little bit less than compared to if there are a few of them at the programs.
Thanks for your reply. I dont mind getting rejected from an IMG-unfriendly program where anyways I would have no chance to match in. The thing that annoys me is to get rejected based on a few points difference (eg. 248 v. 250). But that doesn't seem to be the case.

My advice, don't listen to what anyone tells you. You have a good score and you don't need a visa. The sky is your limit. I know a non-US IMG who got into a research position at one of the best hospitals in the US (can't say the name cuz I don't know if there's any legal implications), and he had a similar score to yours. So don't beat yourself up for 2 points. Just work hard on handing in the best ERAS application!
Goodluck!

My advice, don't listen to what anyone tells you. You have a good score and you don't need a visa. The sky is your limit. I know a non-US IMG who got into a research position at one of the best hospitals in the US (can't say the name cuz I don't know if there's any legal implications), and he had a similar score to yours. So don't beat yourself up for 2 points. Just work hard on handing in the best ERAS application!
Goodluck!
Thanks for that motivation. Good luck to you too !