Confused and running out of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I really need some advice
I only have one month left till spring semester and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding where I want to go for a post-bacc program in the NY area.
I've just graduated from Northeastern University this December with my BA and am currently trying to find a post-bacc program for the spring semester.. I've applied and am applying to a few schools; Seton Hall, NYIT, CUNY, Fordham and Hofstra but I'm curious if there's anymore schools that I should apply to that have a good post-bacc program. Anyone know/or have heard of any other post-bacc programs in the NY area?

I've decided not to bother with NYU or Columbia because I assume the workload might be too demanding.. and my first priority is just to do well in all my classes so I'm looking for a school that isn't too tough. But also, I want to enjoy New York.. this would be my first time living in this city and I would like to find a school that does have a post-bacc program, yet also has a decent campus and social life as well.

If anyone can suggest a few more universities that I should try applying to, I would appreciated it.

Members don't see this ad.

anonymous4 said:
Hey guys, I really need some advice
I only have one month left till spring semester and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding where I want to go for a post-bacc program in the NY area.
I've just graduated from Northeastern University this December with my BA and am currently trying to find a post-bacc program for the spring semester.. I've applied and am applying to a few schools; Seton Hall, NYIT, CUNY, Fordham and Hofstra but I'm curious if there's anymore schools that I should apply to that have a good post-bacc program. Anyone know/or have heard of any other post-bacc programs in the NY area?

I've decided not to bother with NYU or Columbia because I assume the workload might be too demanding.. and my first priority is just to do well in all my classes so I'm looking for a school that isn't too tough. But also, I want to enjoy New York.. this would be my first time living in this city and I would like to find a school that does have a post-bacc program, yet also has a decent campus and social life as well.

If anyone can suggest a few more universities that I should try applying to, I would appreciated it.

i'll take a stab at this one you seem to be in a jam....first off a lil background and some numbers would help a great deal. secondly, if you are set on staying in NY my vote is for Hunter....the two most well known post baccs in NY are Hunter and Columbia and I think this forum has mroe than convinced many that the time and money required for Columbia is just not worth it to most people. I know very little about the Hofstra program (even though i applied last year and spoke in detail with an advisor)....my intuition is that it's no better no worse than any other place.....with one caveat; it's 30 K/yr....excuse the pretention but my opinion is that amount of money is not worth a post bacc at Hofstra when Hunter is clearly a better program....i guess my bottom line would be NY doesn't have programs like Bryn mawr, goucher, penn, HES, hopkins.....i'd go with Hunter or Stony Brook....they are affordable and good solid programs; arguably better than any other in NY....

Chrissy said:
i'll take a stab at this one you seem to be in a jam....first off a lil background and some numbers would help a great deal. secondly, if you are set on staying in NY my vote is for Hunter....the two most well known post baccs in NY are Hunter and Columbia and I think this forum has mroe than convinced many that the time and money required for Columbia is just not worth it to most people. I know very little about the Hofstra program (even though i applied last year and spoke in detail with an advisor)....my intuition is that it's no better no worse than any other place.....with one caveat; it's 30 K/yr....excuse the pretention but my opinion is that amount of money is not worth a post bacc at Hofstra when Hunter is clearly a better program....i guess my bottom line would be NY doesn't have programs like Bryn mawr, goucher, penn, HES, hopkins.....i'd go with Hunter or Stony Brook....they are affordable and good solid programs; arguably better than any other in NY....

just a disclaimer...i think my post may have implied that Hunter cannot compare to the more well known, private post baccs which is not what i meant....it's a great program...what i did mean is I would have an easier time shelling out 30 k for Bryn Mawr than I would Hoftsra or Private U X because it seems like a more lucrative investment....the other thing is you also seem set on starting in the spring...2 things come to mind...1) you seem to be a rush that (depending on your background and numbers) might hurt you later....i remember getting rejected from Penn right out of undergrad and I was urged by Dr. Hunter to take some time away from the classroon and get some insight and have some interesting work experience...i did and one year later i got into Penn with the same GPA.....taking a year or 2 to gain significant exposure in the field will not only convey your dedication and interest but it will separate your (possibly poor) undergrad record from your post bacc record which will help you PLUS it could completely rejuvenate you and motivate you....and 2) many schools will not enable you to take a first sequence of a class in the spring term. ie. no bio 1 in spring at hofstra but you CAN take bio 1 in spring at HUNter.....that could become a consideration as well.

one other thought is wait til summer to start because you seem unsure and it will only help to go into a post bacc with a confident clear ahead about where you are and what you're doing!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks chrissy, I've scrolled through the forum about what others thought about Hunters.. it seems mixed, there's some that don't like it as well though...I've even looked at studentsreview.com and the reviews for hunters college aren't that great.

http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CUNYHC_u.html

but I might as well give it a shot, does anyone have the link to Hunters post bacc program? cause I couldn't find it on their home page. I'm also looking into SUNY StonyBrook's post bacc

Also, has anyone heard about Fordham's (Lincoln Center Campus) post bacc program or know if its good any good?

I know there's more post-bacc programs in the NY area...can anyone suggest any other universities that i should apply too such as Yeshiva University?

But as of now, I'm giving serious consideration into Fordham and CUNY CC for spring semester.

anonymous4 said:
thanks chrissy, I've scrolled through the forum about what others thought about Hunters.. it seems mixed, there's some that don't like it as well though...I've even looked at studentsreview.com and the reviews for hunters college aren't that great.

http://www.studentsreview.com/NY/CUNYHC_u.html

but I might as well give it a shot, does anyone have the link to Hunters post bacc program? cause I couldn't find it on their home page. I'm also looking into SUNY StonyBrook's post bacc

Also, has anyone heard about Fordham's (Lincoln Center Campus) post bacc program or know if its good any good?

I know there's more post-bacc programs in the NY area...can anyone suggest any other universities that i should apply too such as Yeshiva University?

But as of now, I'm giving serious consideration into Fordham and CUNY CC for spring semester.

I've been taking classes at City College CUNY and the premed classes are pretty easy. They also have access to tutors from the premed office as well as a 50% deduction on kaplan mcat class (Kaplan was alumnus). The only downside to city is that it has no linkages, isnt in a very nice neighborhood (harlem) or no real premed advisor at this moment (they have peer advisors).

hunter college is situated on park ave and 68thish so its a more student friendly happening place, the postbaccs have a nice online network set up on yahoo.com, and it has a linkage to cornell medical as well as stonybrook. If you are an independent/outspoken and determined student, hunter is definitely for you. (I've been trying to transfer there but have been missing the deadline...)

pompompurin said:
I've been taking classes at City College CUNY and the premed classes are pretty easy. They also have access to tutors from the premed office as well as a 50% deduction on kaplan mcat class (Kaplan was alumnus). The only downside to city is that it has no linkages, isnt in a very nice neighborhood (harlem) or no real premed advisor at this moment (they have peer advisors).

hunter college is situated on park ave and 68thish so its a more student friendly happening place, the postbaccs have a nice online network set up on yahoo.com, and it has a linkage to cornell medical as well as stonybrook. If you are an independent/outspoken and determined student, hunter is definitely for you. (I've been trying to transfer there but have been missing the deadline...)

anonymous:

I agree that Hunter has gotten mixed reviews, but every school has! I remember when i was applying to Bryn Mawr (which is nice and shiny on the surface) i found out that many students get weeded out of that program as well and another portion of students do alright but take another year to do a special masters or take upper level classes to help themselves out....I remember graduating from college being unsure about many of these same questions...where to go? private or city? worth the money? right out of school or work for a year or so?.....the truth is that even after as much research on this topic as humanly possible some of these questions are just too personal and every final decision is going to carry some risk and uncertaintly....here i am a year and a half later and i'm nervous as hell about my decision but there's nothing more i can do....

so you are set on staying in NY? and you are set on starting right away? If so, I do think your options become severely limited (in the grand scheme of things) and I still stand by my Hunter suggestion. Realize that Hunter has students from ALL backgrounds and abilities so the classes will parallel that fact....they will be large, the smart kids will do fine, the kids who work hard will do fine, and the less intelligent kids will become irrelevant (Hunter has open admission which exacerbates the discrepancy in talent).....I have heard the advising is spotty and to be honest you are not going to get the compassion and attention you would get at a smaller program....that issue is a personal decision.....i've also heard the link with Cornell might as well not exist because every year approx. 5 post baccs get a nomination of sorts to be eligible and of them a couple max might get in and it depends on the year....I think it's a good means to apply to med school if you dont need a lot of hand holding....the advisors are NOT going to tell you when things need to get done. On an upside, the students (and that yahoo group that the last poster mentioned) seem wonderful...accessible and friendly! They seem like THE best resource for advice, suggestions, and support. SB i looked into as well but i know less about. From my understanding they have a better overall science reputation, a similar linkage situation with their own med school, and is equally as large.....as far as advising, I've heard it's a bit less structured than Hunter (and Hunter isn't too structured to begin with)....also, you will be taking classes with the undergrads in the daytime so they mix you in with the undergrads applying to med school.....that may or may not work for you.

Since it sounds like maybe you havent done so I would suggest doing a search on this forum (upper right side) and write in Hunter and stony brook or just browse around.....many of your questions will be answered and will turn you away from Columbia in the process.....NYU I have heard is good as well...it's pretty new but seems successful and the people I've spoken with seem happy....the only prob is the cost if thats an issue and it has more stringent background requirements (i.e. never taken a science course).....if you have taken sciences and need to improve your record than a less structured program like Hunter or SB may be best so you can take upper level classes....just in case you are still considering a lil....Drexel U and Penn also have great programs for people who are looking to enhance their record....you can't hold terrible records but around a 3.0 would admit you to one of them....than there's the famous Georgetown SMP for people who have already done everything and need some improving.....lemme know if you have any other questions/concerns. best of luck!

also....i don't mean to be rude and start a debate or be insulting at all.....but I wouldn't consider City College over Hunter or SB unless there is a convenience issue that makes it necessary (like you live right there or work there).....Based on experiences AT both schools, talking to students, advisors, and speaking with my undergrad premed advisor at Penn, City College doesn't have the post bacc reputation that Hunter does.....just my opinion make of it what u will.

Chrissy said:
also....i don't mean to be rude and start a debate or be insulting at all.....but I wouldn't consider City College over Hunter or SB unless there is a convenience issue that makes it necessary (like you live right there or work there).....Based on experiences AT both schools, talking to students, advisors, and speaking with my undergrad premed advisor at Penn, City College doesn't have the post bacc reputation that Hunter does.....just my opinion make of it what u will.

and on that note while i'm on a rant.....you don't seem to be too caught up in reputation and cost....my (albeit self righteous) advice would be to not just pick a program or school out of a hat and go there.....example: Fordham is a great school...almost everyone in my family went there actually....but they are not known for having a post bacc or catering to post bacc students.....you can go anywehere and take the required classes as a non degree student yes, but why not give yourself an edge with a school that has a separate post bacc program and knows the game a bit better...like Hunter. My belief is a this will help in the long run....

Hi Anonymous4,

I graduated in '04 with a communications degree and am now working a full-time job. I just registered for my science courses to start the post-bac run for spring semester (I'm hoping to go to dental school when I finish the pre-reqs). Not sure what you have already done but I needed to start with Bio1 and Chem1. I checked out ALL schools in NYC and and met with the pre-med advisor at Hunter. Their program was good but I needed calc as a pre-req and I didn't want to take it BEFORE the science courses.

Also, what I came to realize is most schools do not offer Bio1 and Chem1 in the spring. I also spoke to MANY dental students and pre-dental advisors who said it is much more important to get good grades in the courses rather than take them at a top school. I was able to register for courses at NYIT without a calc pre-req. Also, the professors got GREAT ratings on RateMyProfessors.com. The times worked out for me and everyone is very friendly there! I am looking forward to it. PM me for more info. I'd love to know another post-bacc in the classes :)

Other schools I can suggest: Marymount Manhattan (they have Bio 1 in the spring but no Chem 1), Pace Univ, Brooklyn College, Queens College. It's possible I will pick up courses at other schools too, it all depends on timing. But I'll be in Bio 1 and Chem I at NYIT (which has a link with a D.O. school if you're at all interested in that.)

Good luck!