Confused on pre-req quarter system/retaking courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crispyDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am currently attending UCSB which is a quarter system and I have a question on the pre-requisite physics courses.

Basically at UCSB we have Physics 6A, 6B and 6C which would fulfill the pre-requisite; however I have not finished 6C and I am currently enrolled for summer.

My predicament is that I am planning on retaking 6B as that was the class I got a C in. My local CC offers physics on a semester system; Phys 101A and 101B and taking both would fulfill the prerequisite for PT school.

Do I just need to retake both Phys 101A/B at a CC; and if thats the case should I just not take 6C at the university?

Please and thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,

I am currently attending UCSB which is a quarter system and I have a question on the pre-requisite physics courses.

Basically at UCSB we have Physics 6A, 6B and 6C which would fulfill the pre-requisite; however I have not finished 6C and I am currently enrolled for summer.

My predicament is that I am planning on retaking 6B as that was the class I got a C in. My local CC offers physics on a semester system; Phys 101A and 101B and taking both would fulfill the prerequisite for PT school.

Do I just need to retake both Phys 101A/B at a CC; and if thats the case should I just not take 6C at the university?

Please and thank you guys.

I would contact a few of the school's that you plan on applying to. I ran into a few issues with the quarter/semester system and got different answers from different schools. So just e mail the admissions department for a couple of your top schools to get a clearer idea.

From my experience in applying this year, PTCAS (and most schools) handle the quarter/semester system by units. I was in a similar situation as you, and I had to retake a class I got a C in with the quarter system. I ended up retaking classes in a CC (semester system), and I was unable to use some of the classes from the quarter system as pre-reqs due to the difference in units. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I believe 5 units in the quarter system equates to about ~3.333 or so semester credits. To elaborate more on this, I got a A during my first quarter of chemistry and I wanted to make sure to include that class in my pre-reqs. However, I received C's in the two preceding chemistry classes, so I decided to use Organic Chemistry (which I took at a semester system school) to fulfill the remaining units needed for chemistry. 1 Chemistry course in the quarter system + 1 organic chemistry course in the semester system was about 7.3333 units out of the 8, which forced me to include the grades in both Chemistry 1A and 1B in the quarter system.