Confused Pod!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tens2005

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all you premed and med. students,

I'm currently a 1st year Podiatry student thats in need of help. My situations is this...

Since I have relatives that are Podiatrist, I never thought of pursuing a career as a DO/MD. Honestly, I thought becoming a DPM was for me.. until a month or so ago.. I realized my real calling... Missions to my home country!! (can't do much with DPM degree in a 3rd world country)

I researched different medical careers and concluded that holistic medicine fits my interest and calling.

Before making any decisions to leave Podiatry, I would like some input from the panel. My stats: GPA(total and science)..3.3, Pod.school.. 3.5 MCAT 6,7,9. CNA for 2 years,volunteer in hospital, lab work.

Realizing my subpar MCAT #'s (esp.. verbal) I'm taking the upcoming aug. MCAT.
My plans are to apply to the two PA schools (PCOM and LECOM), since I reside in pa.

What are my chances? What should I Do? Should I apply for the 2005 class with my current MCATs?

thanks,

tens2005

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

I would decide for sure what you want to do. If you want to go to medical school, then just plan on applying as many times as it takes and forget PA school. You will probably have to raise your MCAT a little but it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and apply. That way the following year, you would have already applied once and that will help. Your other qualification are good. Just raise that MCAT a little and you should be fine. Good luck!

I believe PA=Pennsylvania inthis context
biggrin.gif

You sound like a fine applicant, although your MCAT is low. You seem to know that already, and I'm sure you'll do better on the next one (average MCAT at DO schools: 24-26.) Be prepared to explain during interviews why you left podiatry, be able to show your committment to medicine is not oging to change. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question. Why is podiatry such a bad career choice? How are podiatrist getting along today? They had a D.P.M on the news the other day (a boy had a a flat foot, and the doctors helped him I think they used transplanted tissue, I'm not sure.) How do HMO's treat D.P.M's Also what kind of future
do you guys, and girls think they have?
Thanks!!!

------------------
There is more joy in giving then there is in recieving.

Can anyone give me information on this?

tens2005,

Your MCAT is a little bit low, but apply as early as possible (maybe june this year). I know a few people with similiar credentials got accepted this year to several DO schools. You also should inform schools that you will take MCAT test. Another thing, don't limit yourself to PA schools, apply to other schools too! Good luck!