• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

westernmed007

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
I am a little confused about these stains, could you please read this and tell me if I am off in my thinking? I dont need a super in depth explanation just whatever will suffice for step 1.

S100 stains for SCLC, medullary thyroid, melanoma, schwannoma, and carcinoid tumors correct? Essentially anything neural crest? Are there any tumors I am missing?
Also, S100 stains same things are enolase, chromogranin, synaptophysin?
S100 is a stain for "neurofilaments"?

What are the differences between these neuroendocrine/Neural crest tumors and the so called Primitive Neuro-Endocrine (blue cell) tumors (i.e. medulloblastoma) do they all stain the same thing?

Sorry, I have tried to piece this stuff together from World and FA and its not easy.

osli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
S100 protein is a Ca++ receptor protein, with many many types/variations, found in many places in the body.

Examples: cells that are or come from myoepithelium, macrophages, neural crest, keratinocytes, adipocytes, dendritic cells, chondrocytes, Langerhan's cells, maybe breast...

So you would expect to find it in a large variety of tumors and other pathology. In addition to the neural crest stuff, it's a pretty good marker for epithelial tumors like melanoma. Seems to show up in everything from brain to uterus.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Melanoma is not an epithelial tumor!

Do you even need to know what S100 stains for step I? I don't remember that.

S100 is thought to be a neural based protein but there is a lot of overlap and it is expressed in non-neural things like melanocytes, chondrocytes, myoepithelial cells.

S100 doesn't really stain carcinoid tumors (or other neuroendocrine tumors like medullary thyroid) - there are positive cells in these tumors but it is the supporting stromal cells and NOT the actual neuroendocrine tumor cells. The neuroendocrine tumor cells DO stain for chromogranin, synaptophysin.

S100 is not a neurofilament stain. It will stain neural supporting cells like those in neurofibromas, schwannomas, however.

If you want to know what S100 stains, just remember melanoma, neural tumors (like schwannoma, neurofibroma) and myoepithelial cells and that is most of the important areas it is used in.

For step 1 you would at most I would expect have to know something like "Ugly tumor with S100 positive cells = melanoma, spindle cell tumor with s100 positive cells = schwannoma or neurofibroma."

Uegis

1 Down 3 To Go
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
www.mdapplicants.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yup, total overkill. For the oncology stuff, know general big concept stuff. Don't worry about specific stains, except maybe for micro. You'll quickly forget most of these random numbers and even the heme onc attendings I have been working with don't memorize them.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.