Confused with USMLE and MCCQE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaedsDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is straight from CaRMS website.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR USMGs - Please Note: As of February 2010, USMGs must complete the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examinations Parts 1 and 2 (MCCQE 1 & 2) order to qualify for an Independent Practice certificate in Ontario. USMLE Steps 1, 2 and 3 ARE considered acceptable alternatives to the MCCQE 1 & 2 for purposes of applying for residency training in Ontario but will mean that the candidate cannot obtain an Independent Practice certificate from the CPSO directly after residency and RCPSC/CFPC certification. Rather, they will be required to apply for a restricted certificate of registration to practice medicine in Ontario, practice with a mentor/supervisor for at least one year, and successfully complete an assessment before obtaining an Independent Practice certificate. The CPSO policy on Acceptable Qualifying Exams can be reviewed at http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/policies/default.aspx?id=1640

So from what I understand, USMLE 1, 2, 3 are only good enough to apply to residency match. How then, can I get an independent practice certificate? Is that where MCCEE comes in?

Also, I've previously red that USMLE 3 is done during year PGY -1. So how can I get USMLE step 3 done if I am applying to Canada for residency?

And lastly, can someone shed some light as to when MCCQE 1 & 2 are done?

I know USMLE 1 is done after second year, and USMLE 2 is done after third year. How does the timing of MCCQE compare?

Thank you so much, any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So from what I understand, USMLE 1, 2, 3 are only good enough to apply to residency match. How then, can I get an independent practice certificate? Is that where MCCEE comes in?

Canadian medical students do MCCQE Part I late in fourth year of medical school, and the MCCQE Part II at the beginning of second year residency. If you get a residency position in Canada, you will be expected to pass the MCCQE Part I ASAP (if you haven't gotten it already) and Part II with the rest of the residents at the beginning of PGY2. Passing these two exams (plus your Royal College exams) and successfully completing your residency leads to independent licensure.

IMGs and US DO applicants need to have written the MCCEE (well in advance) to apply for Canadian residency. It's the precursor to the MCCQE Parts I and II. Canadian med students and US MDs don't write the MCCEE.

Also, I've previously red that USMLE 3 is done during year PGY -1. So how can I get USMLE step 3 done if I am applying to Canada for residency?

If you're doing residency in Canada you won't need it (unless you plan on going back to the US to practice).

Summary:
Ontario is warning you: the USMLEs (plus the MCCEE) are enough to apply to match, but they aren't enough to be licensed to practice. You do NOT want a restricted license after going through a Canadian residency - you want to make sure you are eligible for full, unrestricted licensure.

Is it possible to get matched to neurosurgery with 4year experience in neurosurgery residency, MSc surgical science and MCCEE.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2