Confused...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikaros

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I submitted all secondaries in late July-August and heard back from a couple of schools pretty soon after that. I was lucky to get a few (4) interviews at top 20 schools, and got accepted to a top-10 school and have yet to hear from the other 3. However, other than these 4 IIs and 2 rejections, everything has been silent. Not to sound conceited, but after getting into a top-10 school I thought that by this point I would have gotten some more IIs. Did I get lucky with the IIs I got or can I still expect to get more (aka can I hold onto the hope that my dream school might still be considering me)?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing wrong with holding out hope. I think you know that your chances of getting an II are lower now that there are more applicants to compete with.

I think anyone is lucky to get 4 IIs, even a top candidate.

Congrats on your acceptance! The rest is extra credit. ;)

Last edited:
I certainly think so. Schools likely have very few new applications becoming complete at this time and they have also likely sent immediate IIs to those applicants who are no-brainers. From what I can tell most schools give out IIs into January so I'd imagine that they are going back through initially passed over apps or working their way down a ranked list at this point. Seeing that you've already gotten 4 interviews from top 20 schools, it seems likely that you would be pretty high on many schools lists.

That being said, 4 interviews and one acceptance to a top 10 is better luck than almost everyone else will have this cycle so by all accounts you're already doing very well!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with holding out hope. I think you know that your chances of getting an II are lower now that there are more applicants to compete with.

I think anyone is lucky to get 4 IIs, even a top candidate.

Congrats on your acceptance! The rest is extra credit. ;)

Ohhhh interesting. I'm curious...how many interviews do applicants get on average?

Ohhhh interesting. I'm curious...how many interviews do applicants get on average?

I don't know that. I got 6, but that was after only getting 1 the first time I applied. So for me, the average is 3.5. :p

Reactions: 1 user
So I submitted all secondaries in late July-August and heard back from a couple of schools pretty soon after that. I was lucky to get a few (4) interviews at top 20 schools, and got accepted to a top-10 school and have yet to hear from the other 3. However, other than these 4 IIs and 2 rejections, everything has been silent. Not to sound conceited, but after getting into a top-10 school I thought that by this point I would have gotten some more IIs. Did I get lucky with the IIs I got or can I still expect to get more (aka can I hold onto the hope that my dream school might still be considering me)?

I think it's important to keep in mind that different schools are looking for different things in their applicants. Maybe some of your other schools have more specific missions that you didn't really fit with or write about in your essays, so they haven't decided to interview you yet.
Since you haven't gotten rejected from the other schools, then sure -- hold onto the hope that you might still get an interview, it's possible. However, I don't think anyone should "expect" to get anything in this process, but I definitely don't think you "got lucky" with your four interviews and acceptance!!

Sounds like you fit the profile for some and didn't for others. It's common knowledge that admission to top schools is increasingly more and more dependent on that subjective fact. Hold out hope, but be realistic.

Is the top 10 acceptance from Stanford? I think it's the only top 10 with rolling admissions?

Thanks for all the replies, guess I will count myself as very fortunate and keep the sliver of hope alive. And no my top 10 acceptance wasn't from Stanford. My mdapps has more info :)

You got into a top 10 school... why do you need more II's? If I ever get into even at least a top 30 school when I apply, then I won't care about other acceptances. One acceptance is really something to cheer for, in my opinion. And especially at a top 10 school! Heck, if my only acceptance was a top 10 school, I'd be in heaven. In fact, if my only acceptance was at any school I will apply to, I'd be in heaven. Be happy, and don't worry.