Confused

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Mz Shaikh, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Mz Shaikh

Mz Shaikh Member
    5+ Year Member

Hello everyone I hope you are all doing well. Do you have to be in an official post-bac to say that you are doing your post-bac? I graduated last may and started my science pre-reqs at a community college as a non-degree student. Does that mean I am not "post-bacc"? Thanx

2. microgin

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Post-bacc just means post-baccalaureate (i.e. after the attainment of your Bachelor's degree), so if you're taking courses after graduation (as you are), then yes, those are considered "post-bacc" courses. The reason for the distinction is that these courses will appear in a different category on your AMCAS app. Schools will see your undergraduate GPA, your "post-bacc" GPA (i.e. for undergraduate courses taken after the attainment of your undergraduate degree) - which will end up being averaged into your overall undergraduate GPA, and your graduate GPA (if you have one).

3. Mz Shaikh

Mz Shaikh Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanx. It is much more clear now.

4. LooKing4Ward

LooKing4Ward Member
    5+ Year Member

they average it into the graduate gpa? i thought they didn't

5. Sundarban1

Sundarban1 Devil in disguise
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Whether you are applying to allopathic or osteopathic schools, on your application all your grades will be listed seperate by year and type (ie undergrad, graduate, post bacc etc).

Post bacc grades (taken as undergraduate credits) are averaged into your GPA in both allopathic and osteopathic schools. The only difference is that if you re-take a course, allopathic schools average the two grades together and osteopathic schools take the second of the two grades and the first one is dropped (they do not take the highest grade! If your grade on the second attempt is lower than your first, the second grade will factor into your GPA, despite the fact you did worse!).

For graduate school grades, allopathic schools do not average them into your undergraduate GPA, however osteopathic schools do.

There you have it.

6. the alchemist

the alchemist Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    no, they do not average it into ur grad gpa. that is separate and does not have anything 2 do with the post-bacc of UG gpas.

7. LooKing4Ward

LooKing4Ward Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks! You said it better than some admission's counselors I have just asked. The graduate school grades get averaged into undergrad? That's new to me. I'll have to call AACOMAS to confirm. If that's the case, it might be better to seek a Masters and have that as a backup plan if DO does not work out.