confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys....I'm in a really terrible situation right now and I don't know what to do....is it possible to get into a pharmacy school with a gpa under a 3.0. I have not taken my pcats yet (some schools don't even require them). Im still in college, most likely will have my bach. before pharmacy school. But it just seems too difficult now. I do have many C's myself (exp for the low gpa) and some redo's of classes. Shows I cared (which I do) but stuff happens and college academics go wrong...hope they understand......

any thoughts would help!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you may have a hard time getting into a pharmacy school, but it certainly wouldn't be impossible. If you can get a really good PCAT, good references, pharm experience, and good extra-curriculars then that would really help improve your chances.

I had a gpa of 2.7 when I graduated with my bachelor's (~2.6 with the way PharmCAS scores). So far I've had 3 interviews and 1 school accepted. So just keep trying.

yea I know...this is so upsetting

I am trying to take classes over the summer to raise the gpa...its just so hard with the upper level bio classes......and I have no pharm exp. I dont even know where to go at this point. I have extra curric. activites but Im hoping to do something relating to the field this summer along with summer classes......I really don't want to lost hope and Id like to get in somewhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you may have a hard time getting into a pharmacy school, but it certainly wouldn't be impossible. If you can get a really good PCAT, good references, pharm experience, and good extra-curriculars then that would really help improve your chances.

I had a gpa of 2.7 when I graduated with my bachelor's (~2.6 with the way PharmCAS scores). So far I've had 3 interviews and 1 school accepted. So just keep trying.

SCCPharm,
Do you mind me asking what is your pre-req gpa (science)?
Thanks!

hey which schools did u get the interviews from and also which school did u get accepted to? Thanks :)

numbers may be important, but remember it's only part of your overall application. adcoms know that some students may have had some difficulties for whatever reason in their undergrad years. focus on doing your best now, and getting good grades. explore the possibility of maybe retaking some later, if need be. be competitive on the pcat. and definitely look into leadership roles in community service, etc. and pharmacy experience - whether it be in community, hospital, etc. and even before all this, explore the reasons why you want to be a pharmacist. and focus on that goal. i'm a firm believer that if you have a passion/gift for it, somehow, someway you'll get there. don't give up. i'm an older student, who just found their calling later in life... and i'm in the process of waiting back to hear from a school i interviewed at.

numbers may be important, but remember it's only part of your overall application. adcoms know that some students may have had some difficulties for whatever reason in their undergrad years. focus on doing your best now, and getting good grades. explore the possibility of maybe retaking some later, if need be. be competitive on the pcat. and definitely look into leadership roles in community service, etc. and pharmacy experience - whether it be in community, hospital, etc. and even before all this, explore the reasons why you want to be a pharmacist. and focus on that goal. i'm a firm believer that if you have a passion/gift for it, somehow, someway you'll get there. don't give up. i'm an older student, who just found their calling later in life... and i'm in the process of waiting back to hear from a school i interviewed at.

thanks and goodluck :)

if indeed, stuff happened to you that made it hard for you to concentrate in school and affected your gpa, then be SURE to INCORPORATE and elaborate on these incidents in your personal statements or supplementary essays. schools do care about things that affect your gpa, so wisely use this weapon that you possess

how important are the PCATS, I mean, that could help me out a lot IF I do well in them but some schools don't even require them...what if I still send my scores to them...do you think they'll take them in consideration...sometimes standarized exams can make up for the gpa...but its not always the case in every field.

how important are the PCATS, I mean, that could help me out a lot IF I do well in them but some schools don't even require them...what if I still send my scores to them...do you think they'll take them in consideration...sometimes standarized exams can make up for the gpa...but its not always the case in every field.

The schools that don't require PCATs are most likely looking for students who have GPAs upwards of 3.75. You need to look at the PCAT as your saving grace. Blow it away, and you'll show the AdCom that you have what it takes to be a successful pharmD student and that they should accept you.

The schools that don't require PCATs are most likely looking for students who have GPAs upwards of 3.75. You need to look at the PCAT as your saving grace. Blow it away, and you'll show the AdCom that you have what it takes to be a successful pharmD student and that they should accept you.

cool...hope so :)

So to get reccomendation letters....do I have to get all of them from science professors? I didn't do too well in most of them, meaning A's...or I'm not "friendly" with them...can we ask other professors? :confused: and is it possible to apply and have the letters sent in later?

So to get reccomendation letters....do I have to get all of them from science professors? I didn't do too well in most of them, meaning A's...or I'm not "friendly" with them...can we ask other professors? :confused: and is it possible to apply and have the letters sent in later?

Depends on the school. Some require recommendations from science profs, others aren't specific. Look on the school information pages on PharmCAS for schools that participate and for schools that don't, look at their individual pages. I'm pretty sure that you can submit your PharmCAS app and have your letters sent in after tand your app will be automatically updated.

Also since I know many schools have seperate pre-reqs, I dont think I'll be done completing them by the time I apply. Can we have them done before we plan to enter pharmacy school. For example if I want to go to pharm school in fall '08, I would apply Fall '07 BUT I would be taking some of the pre-reqs in the semester of fall '07....just an example...but would that situation be ok? Do the schools accept the fact that while our application is being sent to them, the pre-reqs may be in process of completion?

Yeah, there's a section on the pharmcas app asking you to list classes in progress and classes you are planning to take. Many of us did that this year. Also, from my experience as an out of state applicant, if you're applying to schools that don't consider the pcat, a GPA of 3.5 gets you nowhere. The pcat was definitely my saving grace.

for my situation, what would be the best time to apply? I know applying early is good but since a lot of the deadlines are in the winter season if not early spring, when is the best tiem for me? considering I need to bring up my gpa? Should I wait till dec to apply so I get another semester in when the application deadlines are arund march or should I apply before?