Confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kay51

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the degree bachelor of science just one flat out degree, or is there certain fields..like degree in chemistry..or biology. If so which one is required for pharmacy school.
I've had people tell me different things so Im just confused about that now.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the degree bachelor of science just one flat out degree, or is there certain fields..like degree in chemistry..or biology. If so which one is required for pharmacy school.
I've had people tell me different things so Im just confused about that now.

Any major is fine to get into pharmacy school. What you need to do is make sure you have all of the prerequisites included in you major or with your major.

I agree, you can have any degree to get into pharm school, just do the pre-req's, I had a business degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, you can have any degree to get into pharm school, just do the pre-req's, I had a business degree.

Did you major in business or have a bachelor in business? Thats where I'm getting confused. Bachelor = 4 years while major = 6 years? Someone please help.

There is no "required" degree to get into pharmacy school. Find out the pre-req's for the school you want into and do those. You could have have a BS in flower arranging and it wont matter so long as you do your proper pre-req's.

B.S. is the degree you earn and is a blanket term. You can major (your specialty) in a lot of things to get a B.S., like bio, chem, physics, etc. There are other bachelors you can earn like arts, fine arts, health sciences, etc.

You can major in anything and get any kind of bachelors you want to go into pharm school. IMO, majoring in something where you will take a lot of chem or bio classes will help prepare you more and look better.

So I could get my B.S. then from there I could major in Business Administration or something like that? Sorry i'm the first one in my family to go through this so its all new. I appreciate all the help

No.

A Bachelor's in Science, is a name of a degree that you can earn for being a Science Major.

The Major, is the career path you pick, and decides what kind of classes you will be taking for the most part.

So, if you're a Biology Major, you will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Biology.

No.

A Bachelor's in Science, is a name of a degree that you can earn for being a Science Major.

The Major, is the career path you pick, and decides what kind of classes you will be taking for the most part.

So, if you're a Biology Major, you will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Biology.

Sparda's quote is incorrect. A "Bachelor's in Science" is not the name of a degree you earn for majoring in a science-related field. I think his mom goes to college:laugh:

You can earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in a wide variety of fields as mentioned earlier by non-Sparda posters. I have a B.S. in education for instance (secondary social studies emphasis...definitely not a "science" field as Sparda claims you must major in in order to earn a B.S. degree.)

To the original poster, when you go to college you will eventually have to declare your major. This is the field that you will be working towards earning a degree in. I say 'eventually' because there are many classes (generals or liberal education requirements as they can be referred to) that all degree-seeking students have to take in order to earn a degree, no matter what field they are majoring in. This can give you some time to dabble in a couple different fields to help you determine what field you might want to major in if you are undecided.

As fenixtnlfan said, if you are planning on applying to pharmacy school you are probably best served by majoring in a science-related field. I had a complete career change (from teaching to pharmacy) so I just went back to college to complete the prerequisite classes that the pharm schools I wanted to apply required...already having a B.S., albeit in a mostly unrelated field, definitely helped me in the application process. Although most pharmacy schools do not require applicants to have a B.S. degree, getting into pharmacy school is getting tougher each and every year, and most pharm schools I am somewhat familiar with have a very high percentage of incoming students who have already earned an undergraduate degree.

Hope this helps!

So I could get my B.S. then from there I could major in Business Administration or something like that? Sorry i'm the first one in my family to go through this so its all new. I appreciate all the help
Does your college not have support services for "first-generation college students?" They will probably explain this better.

To answer your question, your bachelor's degree (BS or BA) is the degree you get after completing your undergraduate work. You could major in Business Administration (if your school offers such a major) in undergrad, and you could get your BS degree in that. For example, I'm an accounting major and I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA), with an emphasis in Accounting. Majoring in Bus. Admin. after undergrad means getting an advanced degree (either a master's degree or a PhD). The MBA is short for Master of Business Administration.

No.

By this reasoning, a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is a degree you get for studying philosophy.

Haha. Another entertaining thread. Just check out your univiversity website. They have a listing of all the degrees available with explanations of each.

I'll be attending Howard University's SOP Class of 2012!!!

What differs between B.A. and B.S. is a certain set of courses that you must take. For B.A. there will be more required artsy courses and for B.S. will require more science courses. As stated before, you can go into business administration and get a B.S. and you can do a biochem major while earning a B.A. The difference is mainly the emphasis of electives and such.

Pharmacy school admissions hasn't come to the point where a degree is crucial to be competitive. The goal is to take the necessary science prereqs with some good additional background courses. You can do major you want.

No.

Sorry but this is incorrect. You can have a Bachelors of art and still graduate with a Biology major or Chemistry major. But you'll be taking more humanities/Social science courses and less actual science courses.

What ^ said pretty much sums it up.