confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danomite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time on this forum and I'm hoping I can get some advice on what to do. So let me start by introducing myself..
I'm a sophomore now in college and came in as a pre-pharmacy major. I got straight As in high school by pretty much coasting it so I thought that this could be carried over to college. Pretty bad idea.
Now my individual science/math grades are quite embarrassing but I'm not exactly sure how to find my science/math GPA so I'll have to post them.
First Semester
Chem part 1 of 3 (4 credits) = C+
Biology (4 credits) = C+
Calc part 1 of 2 (4 credits) = D..(retook 2nd semester)
After some re-evaluating, I decided to back off from the pharmacy track for a little bit. This was due to..my low first semester grades and the fact that I didn't like my job as a pharm tech at CVS. So I withdrew from my Physics course & retook Calc part 1 to get a higher grade. I was starting to break down in the middle and end of the semester due to the stress of finding what I wanted to do.
Second Semester
Chem part 2 of 3 (3 credits) = D+
Calc part 1 of 2 (4 credits) = B..(retake)

I've never been the one to give up on what I wanted to do. I came into college with the intention of studying pharmaceuticals. To make a long story kinda short..I'm fully interested in pharmacy again mostly due to talking to the pharmacists where I work. I thought I didn't like pharmacy at first b/c of my view as a tech but the 2 roles (pharmacist and tech) are quite different when looking at health care.
Summer Session
Chem part 3 of 3 (3 credits) = B+
Calc part 2 of 2 (4 credits) = A-

Now this new year. MCB, Organic, and this Phar class (anatomy and physiology pre-req required by only my pharmacy school). Through the long conversations with my adviser, he said that if I get a B+ or higher in everyone of my courses this semester, I will at least get a look at but most likely won't get accepted. Even before summer classes, he said that I should give it another try and that if I don't perform well in my science/math this summer than I should probably stray away from the course I'm heading in. Now that I've gotten somewhat good grades..I feel like I have the ability to do well. I've been keeping up with my work and am very optimistic this semester.
I don't think I should be taking Phar b/c other universities want you to have an actual anatomy and physiology course w/lab under pre-req.

To conclude: The summer sessions really increased my morale tremendously. But I'm constantly around people telling me I'm heading to a dead end and that I won't make it into pharmacy school. This negativity and possibly reality worries me.

Should I even bother applying to pharmacy schools this Fall? I haven't taken a physics.
What would my course of action be for next year? I'm willing to take a year to up my science/math GPA to better my application.

Thanks for taking the time to read this..I'd really appreciate any input you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Two things stuck out to me: a) your grades aren't that good. and b) you didn't like your job at CVS. I don't see the first problem as much of a problem as it is inspiration to improve.
If you don't like your job at CVS and don't want to become a pharmacist, then by all means don't kill yourself going after something you don't want. I don't like my job at CVS, but I am interested in oncology pharmacy and other areas of pharmacy..that is what keeps me going, not my desire to run a drive-thru window.
My situation is similiar, long story short: ranked 4th out of 300 in high school, expected 4.0 in college, actually have 2.95 or thereabouts. Anyways, I keep trying. I know that I either want to be a pharmacist or an optometrist, and I stick with it. If you know that, then keep going.
An important factor that helps me (I think) is that I will have a bachelor's when I enter professional school. Don't be in a rush to apply for next fall..invest some time in your work and bring that GPA up. Show an upward trend, it will help (or so I've been told).
If this is what you want to do, stick with it. Retake a couple of key classes if need be. I always tell myself this: I could get an English/Busines/whatever degree and have better grades..but if I wake up one day and I'm 30 and I regret it..then I might not be in a position to go after what I really wanted. No time like the present. NOW GO STUDY!!! :)

You probably should retake those classes you did bad in. A C can maybe fly, but a D is not good at all. If you can keep up the As and Bs from now on, that would be excellent! I don't think you have screwed yourself out of getting into pharm school at all. A lot of people struggle freshman year. You just need to keep getting the good grades from here on out and be prepared to explain why you did bad your freshman year. I would take that extra year before applying. Use it to retake classes and do some upper division science classes. Also, take the PCAT. If you can do well, it shows a mastery of the topics you didn't do so well on in school.

Hey guys, this is my first time on this forum and I'm hoping I can get some advice on what to do. So let me start by introducing myself..
I'm a sophomore now in college and came in as a pre-pharmacy major. I got straight As in high school by pretty much coasting it so I thought that this could be carried over to college. Pretty bad idea.
Now my individual science/math grades are quite embarrassing but I'm not exactly sure how to find my science/math GPA so I'll have to post them.
First Semester
Chem part 1 of 3 (4 credits) = C+
Biology (4 credits) = C+
Calc part 1 of 2 (4 credits) = D..(retook 2nd semester)
After some re-evaluating, I decided to back off from the pharmacy track for a little bit. This was due to..my low first semester grades and the fact that I didn't like my job as a pharm tech at CVS. So I withdrew from my Physics course & retook Calc part 1 to get a higher grade. I was starting to break down in the middle and end of the semester due to the stress of finding what I wanted to do.
Second Semester
Chem part 2 of 3 (3 credits) = D+
Calc part 1 of 2 (4 credits) = B..(retake)

I've never been the one to give up on what I wanted to do. I came into college with the intention of studying pharmaceuticals. To make a long story kinda short..I'm fully interested in pharmacy again mostly due to talking to the pharmacists where I work. I thought I didn't like pharmacy at first b/c of my view as a tech but the 2 roles (pharmacist and tech) are quite different when looking at health care.
Summer Session
Chem part 3 of 3 (3 credits) = B+
Calc part 2 of 2 (4 credits) = A-

Now this new year. MCB, Organic, and this Phar class (anatomy and physiology pre-req required by only my pharmacy school). Through the long conversations with my adviser, he said that if I get a B+ or higher in everyone of my courses this semester, I will at least get a look at but most likely won't get accepted. Even before summer classes, he said that I should give it another try and that if I don't perform well in my science/math this summer than I should probably stray away from the course I'm heading in. Now that I've gotten somewhat good grades..I feel like I have the ability to do well. I've been keeping up with my work and am very optimistic this semester.
I don't think I should be taking Phar b/c other universities want you to have an actual anatomy and physiology course w/lab under pre-req.

To conclude: The summer sessions really increased my morale tremendously. But I'm constantly around people telling me I'm heading to a dead end and that I won't make it into pharmacy school. This negativity and possibly reality worries me.

Should I even bother applying to pharmacy schools this Fall? I haven't taken a physics.
What would my course of action be for next year? I'm willing to take a year to up my science/math GPA to better my application.

Thanks for taking the time to read this..I'd really appreciate any input you may have!

No, don't apply this fall. You need to address issues with your current application. You could be a much better applicant a year from now. Are you in a hurry to get out of school? Do you have the money to apply this year?

It really sounds like you could use another year. But what do I know, lol?:laugh: