Hollilover15

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hello all,
I am in the midst of preparing for interviews and I came across a question that has me stumped. If the interviewer were to ask, "what do you believe in," are they referring to my faith or something else? Advice from @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It sounds like they want to know what kind of principles outline how you live your life, anywhere from "do you believe in bathing once a day" to "do you believe everyone is inherently good".

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Premeds over analyze, over think, and go down so many paths.

It is a straight forward question: what do you believe in? How do you interpret the question? What do you think it means?

There is no need to look for the intent of the interviewer, there is no "right or wrong" way to look at this. Simply answer it; tell me something about what you believe in

Do you believe in God? In Money? In working hard to get someplace? Do you believe in education? equality?
Do you believe in the NY Giants? Do you believe in making sure you always take time for yourself no matter how busy you are?
Do you believe in Ghosts? Do you believe in holding the door open for the person behind you?
Do you believe in asking before you take the last piece of cake in the house?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You have to believe in something, right?

Being nice to people?
Cats are nice?
Chevies > Fords?
Yourself?
Your destiny?

It's a very open-ended question. Run with it.

I may steal this one.

Imagine this at interview:

Goro: "What do you believe in?"
Hollilover: "Are you referring to my faith or something else?"
Goro: I don't know. You tell me.

Your turn.

Hello all,
I am in the midst of preparing for interviews and I came across a question that has me stumped. If the interviewer were to ask, "what do you believe in," are they referring to my faith or something else? Advice from @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

Affiche

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I may steal this one.

Your turn
You aren't serious, are you? How does this give any useful info?
I'm a foodie. I believe a scoop of moosetracks before bed keeps me mentally sane. What does that tell you? Nothing about me as a potential doctor.
This question is about as bad as the first one I was asked: "What are you ready for?"

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Au contraire, my good student! These are very useful.

They tell us things like if you can think on your feet, whether you interpret things 100% literally, provide insight into your likes and dislikes, possibly can hint that one might be a narcissist, in short, they let us know what you are like as a person.

It's like dating.

You aren't serious, are you? How does this give any useful info?
I'm a foodie. I believe a scoop of moosetracks before bed keeps me mentally sane. What does that tell you? Nothing about me as a potential doctor.
This question is about as bad as the first one I was asked: "What are you ready for?"

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You have to believe in something, right?

Being nice to people?
Cats are nice?
Chevies > Fords?
Yourself?
Your destiny?

It's a very open-ended question. Run with it.

I may steal this one.

Your turn.
Wow Goro so mean! What gets me the most is when I get absolutely 0 non-verbal feedback from my interviewer. Do you do that to your applicants? D;

Affiche

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Au contraire, my good student! These are very useful.

They tell us things like if you can think on your feet, whether you interpret things 100% literally, provide insight into your likes and dislikes, possibly can hint that one might be a narcissist, in short, they let us know what you are like as a person.

It's like dating.
How is "what are you ready for?" useful? Not trying to sound challenging, I'm genuinely interested in your response to this.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
If I ask them a straightforward question, I expect them to answer it.

Sometimes it even goes like this:

Goro: _____[hard question here'
Lulu: Wow! That's a hard question!
Goro: That's why I like asking it.

Note: I rarely pull those out of the hat, but I do so for good reason. No, I'm not sharing.

Wow Goro so mean! What gets me the most is when I get absolutely 0 non-verbal feedback from my interviewer. Do you do that to your applicants? D;

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I've never used that one, but there are plenty of good answers, and I trust that "medical school" is one of them. Again, I'd like to see simply what comes out of your mouth.

"Anything you can throw at me" would be another good answer.

A blank look and silence for 30 seconds, followed by an "I don't know" would be a very bad answer.. And don't laugh, because I've seen it happen!

How is "what are you ready for?" useful? Not trying to sound challenging, I'm genuinely interested in your response to this.

Reactions: sunshinefl

caffeinemia

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2014
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My stock answer: I believe in the American dream. My parents came to this country with a hundred bucks and 5 words of English. They scrimped and saved and now I'm a going to be/am a college grad. I might even become a doctor. I don't think you can really do that so easily anywhere else. LOL

Affiche

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I've never used that one, but there are plenty of good answers, and I trust that "medical school" is one of them. Again, I'd like to see simply what comes out of your mouth.

"Anything you can throw at me" would be another good answer.

A blank look and silence for 30 seconds, followed by an "I don't know" would be a very bad answer.. And don't laugh, because I've seen it happen!
I didn't give a blank look, but more of a :confused:
And then kind of dodged the question by responding to the first part of his statement (which was completely unrelated to the question :laugh:)
But we both know that interview didn't go stellar anyway. At least it gave me tons of "worst interview answers" material, which I'll post in that thread when it's no longer "too soon" for me.

Reactions: Goro

giraffesuptop

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hello all,

Thank you.
after consulting some members of the adcomm at my school, they have assured me that this is the type of answer they are looking for

Reactions: MrLogan13 and Goro

DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
I have a long commute to school with a lot of heavy, often completely stopped traffic. One thing I find myself doing a lot of is preparing for possible and impossible disasters. Anywhere from how I would handle a fender bender to how I would get my daughter and myself out of the car quickly enough if the bridge we were driving over collapsed to my survival strategies for a zombie apocalypse.

So, my luck, they would ask me, "what are you ready for?" And I would blurt out something like, "the zombie apocalypse."

Affiche

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I have a long commute to school with a lot of heavy, often completely stopped traffic. One thing I find myself doing a lot of is preparing for possible and impossible disasters. Anywhere from how I would handle a fender bender to how I would get my daughter and myself out of the car quickly enough if the bridge we were driving over collapsed to my survival strategies for a zombie apocalypse.

So, my luck, they would ask me, "what are you ready for?" And I would blurt out something like, "the zombie apocalypse."
Hahahah I recently started watching Walking Dead so this really resonates with me.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

cherubb3

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Goro must be the most terrifying interviewer to have... I consider myself to be a pretty calm person, but sitting in an interview with Goro would keep my heart rate >100 bpm, for sure.