Confusion About Retaking Premed Required Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouTheMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to complete my first year (2 semesters) of undergraduate school. My first semester GPA was 3.67, and my second semester GPA would likely be the same or better except for the C-/C/C+ I am in danger of getting in regular CHEM. I got a B+ in Chem1 first semester but have had a hard time this semester in CHEM2.

I have also taken 2 semesters of BIO and done well, and am going on to OCHEM and Molecular BIO next year.

I am wondering if I should retake CHEM2 if I get something lower than a B-, mainly to show med schools that it was a fluke and that I was determined to overcome the setback. However, I am not sure whether this is smart or a waste of time, nor am I sure if it is better to retake it now or maybe one summer later on when I look back at my entire coursework and grades.

So basically I am looking for intelligent advice on what to do, to retake CHEM right now or wait and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad.

HUGE waste of time unless you get less than a C, there is no point in retaking. Most schools require at least a C in these classes to count towards graduation and if i remember correctly med schools do also. So if you get a C or better retaking wont show them that it was a fluke, it will just waste your precious time. Show them it was a fluke by never ever repeating that grade in future science classes such as ochem, molecular bio and every other science class you take for the next 3 years. My 1st semester i got 2Ds and 2Cs...but for the next 4 years i got nothing but A's and it worked out in the end as i was accepted so dont stress too much about one C. Just dont let it happen again. Luckily for you its early. Schools would rather the poor grades at freshmen year and then see a steady rise then vice versa.

If you retake a class, you need to get an A. If you retake any of those chemistries that you passed (low pass), you can't afford to get anything less than an A. If you need the knowledge for the MCAT, then audit the class but don't retake for a grade or you run the risk of "red flagging" if you don't get an A.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am about to complete my first year (2 semesters) of undergraduate school. My first semester GPA was 3.67, and my second semester GPA would likely be the same or better except for the C-/C/C+ I am in danger of getting in regular CHEM. I got a B+ in Chem1 first semester but have had a hard time this semester in CHEM2.

I have also taken 2 semesters of BIO and done well, and am going on to OCHEM and Molecular BIO next year.

I am wondering if I should retake CHEM2 if I get something lower than a B-, mainly to show med schools that it was a fluke and that I was determined to overcome the setback. However, I am not sure whether this is smart or a waste of time, nor am I sure if it is better to retake it now or maybe one summer later on when I look back at my entire coursework and grades.

So basically I am looking for intelligent advice on what to do, to retake CHEM right now or wait and see what happens.

In making this decision, you should also consider that you will be required to report the original course grade (and it will indeed affect your AMCAS GPA) when completing AMCAS in a couple of years.

I have just finished my first year of college and did not do as well as I thought I would in the sciences. First semester I got a C in chemistry I and a C+ in biology I. Second semester I got a C- in chemistry II, C+ in biology II, and a C+ in physics I. These grades are not by any means where they need to be so my question is should I retake some/all of them? And if so, when during college should they be retaken?