Confusion about waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mystique

The Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I wasn't cool w/ the rumors about waitlists that were floating around on SDN. Some people thought schools knew where you were waitlisted, but I had my doubts and decided to put this issue to rest. So this weekend while I was gone, I had my sister post my question about waitlists to "Gower", the best pre-med guru around (he's found on medicalgold.com). Here's his reply...

Are schools privy to where you've been waitlisted?? If so when is that information available to them??

"No.

BUT, on June 15 they will know who are holding places in their classes and also at other medical schools. That will start creating pressure on those holding multiple acceptances to make decisions. The later in the season, the greater the pressure, including deadlines for yes or no.

My advice has always been to make pairwise choices as acceptances may come in. Hold one at a time. Withdraw from any wait-lists that are not preferable to the acceptance being held.

For most, financial aid will be based on the same factors at all medical schools. The wait-listed cannot reasonably expect any scholarships or other gifts.

I repeat what I have said many times. Holding multiple acceptances until forced to get off the pot is unethical. It keeps others nervous and anxious, especially the have-nots, waiting to hear
good news. The decision on where to attend ahould be made after the second acceptance.
The homework should start at the interviews, not weeks or months later. Use the interview day, or days, to interview the school while you are there. Ask whatever questions of medical students you think will be of importance in decision making. Even ask the interviewer some. Important questions are not just about the education and financial aid but about living conditions and costs. It should also include getting a feel for the general atmosphere and satisfaction of the medical students as well as sensing how well you think you will fit in.

"Rank", if at all, is the last thing to go into the stewpot. Your quality as a medical student and physician is not determined by the "rank" of the medical school, but by you as a student and person."

Hope this helped. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Good advice. The guy deserves a big thank you from all of us who have gone to him in our hours of desperation.

So has the May 15th date been changed to June 15th?? :confused:
Does somebody have a link to the aamc page that talks about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't aware of this and the site has not changed at the aamc explaining this. Any ethical applicant would not hold on to an acceptance for no reason.

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm</a>

Perhaps the June 15th was a typo (?)...sorry for any confusion.

I just went on medicalgold.com and gower is the best. He knows so much about the admissions process and donates so much of his time to help us. I would definitely check out the site if you haven't yet..