Confusion on how AMCAS works with may MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yhwapg

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll be taking the MCAT in may, which means I will have my scores back in the middle of june.

1) Is there any way I can avoid being late by even a small amount? I've heard AMCAS doesn't "transmit" to schools until the end of June. So can I still submit with just one school selected June 1st, be verified before I even get my score, then add all the schools appropriate for my score before June 30th? In that case, I would be just as on-time as if I had my score all along, correct?

2) Say I somehow end up bombing the MCAT. Would it then be possible to withdraw my app before the date that the app transmitted to schools, so that I can retake during the year and apply the next year without having to be a "reapplicant" with all the problems that go along with that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Correct, if you submit early June to a throwaway school, you will be in the first batch of transmitted apps still

2) The best option would be just to wait to get your score before submitting in the first place. Submitting end of June/early July is still going to get you complete before most adcoms even begin reviewing

Reactions: 2 users
1) Correct, if you submit early June to a throwaway school, you will be in the first batch of transmitted apps still

2) The best option would be just to wait to get your score before submitting in the first place. Submitting end of June/early July is still going to get you complete before most adcoms even begin reviewing

Thanks you! In response to the second point:

1) Even though it would be before most adcoms start reviewing, wouldn't I then be at the bottom of the pile of the apps "on their desk"?

2) Is it possible to just withdraw the app before it transmits? If so, would I then be seen as a "reapplicant" the next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Even though it would be before most adcoms start reviewing, wouldn't I then be at the bottom of the pile of the apps "on their desk"?
schools can review by other orders (e.g. starting with highest MCATs). They don't have to go by order of submission!

2) Is it possible to just withdraw the app before it transmits? If so, would I then be seen as a "reapplicant" the next year?
Pretty sure you cannot withdraw after submitting

Reactions: 1 user
Just wait until you have your score in June. There is literally no downside to being complete 2 weeks into July instead of the first day of July. There is a 0% chance of that changing whether you get an interview.

Just wait until you have your score in June. There is literally no downside to being complete 2 weeks into July instead of the first day of July. There is a 0% chance of that changing whether you get an interview.
Just to confirm, this would hold true for a ~June 21st submission? Sorry, I've just always been under the (apparently false) impression that even a couple of weeks late puts you at a disadvantage.

Yes, submitting June 21st will make you early, so early that your app will sit around for weeks at most schools before they even begin reviewing anyone.

The normal timing to be complete is by Labor Day

Reactions: 1 users