Confusion!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznangelchick88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior and will be graduating next year with a degree in Biological Science. My GPA started off with a 3.8 and has gradually declined to a 3.0. I suffered three lost in my family and I believe that these lost played a major role in my academics. However, I'm more determined than ever to bring up my GPA and I know its possible.

1. However, I don't think I'm ready for medical school just yet. I've been reading through the forums and doing research about Post Baccalaureate Programs and MAMS Programs. I'm slightly confused. What are the differences?

2. How do you calculate your GPA and your science GPA?

3. I've been researching and browsing- I'm really interested in Loyola, NYU, and Harvard Extension (someone said that his program is only good for those with no science background)? Thoughts on these three programs?

Please, and thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

3. I've been researching and browsing- I'm really interested in Loyola, NYU, and Harvard Extension (someone said that his program is only good for those with no science background)? Thoughts on these three programs?

Please, and thanks!

NYU and HES are both for non-science majors if you wish to be diploma seeking (at HES) Loyola is a SMP which is what you are looking for.

1) Post-bac is usually for people that has no science background (i.e. business major or such, except the CA post-bac program) while an SMP is aimed for a science major who is trying to improve their academic credentials. I am guessing since you are a bio major you will benefit more on taking an SMP, such as Boston MAMS.

2) Refer to the AMCAS website to calculate your BCPM (science & math) and your AO (all others). Typically all your biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics will fall into BCPM while the rest will fall into AO but refer to the website for complete listing of what classes fall into where. A downward trend in GPA is typically rather disheartening for admission committee, especially since your cumulative gpa is 3.0.
Since you have one more year I would suggest packing your schedule with easy science classes just to get your GPA up into a competitive level for a good SMP program.

3) I have no opinion on this matter, but Harvard Extension is a post-bachelor program. i.e. intended for people with little or no science background. Please refer to a compilation of all the SMP programs posted on this website for more info on their cost/retention/admission to MD rates respecitively.

I'm currently a junior and will be graduating next year with a degree in Biological Science. My GPA started off with a 3.8 and has gradually declined to a 3.0. I suffered three lost in my family and I believe that these lost played a major role in my academics. However, I'm more determined than ever to bring up my GPA and I know its possible.

1. However, I don't think I'm ready for medical school just yet. I've been reading through the forums and doing research about Post Baccalaureate Programs and MAMS Programs. I'm slightly confused. What are the differences?

2. How do you calculate your GPA and your science GPA?

Please, and thanks!