Congrats to all SGU'ers, Made us proud!!!

Started by MD Dreams
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MD Dreams

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just saw the 2006 match list last night for SGU. I was very surprised and elated. I couldn't believe some of the residencies which some of our colleagues landed:

1 person neurosurgery at UTSW 😱
2 people ophthalmology
1 person ENT
3-4 Radiology
1 person Dermatology 😱 😱 😱
Whole bunch of Emergency Med
Whole bunch of Anesthesiology

Congrats to you all.

I'm in the process of scheduling electives and I can tell you that there is still a fare amount of discrimination from various programs. Perhaps, this will be a subtle message that just because we come from the islands, we are in no way less qualified.

Best of luck in whatever specialty you choose.
 
I did my ophthalmology elective with Deval last year in November (He was a 4th year, I was a 3rd year from Ross). All I can say about this guy is WOW!

I was very impressed with his KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL in Ophthalmology. He was way way way beyond a medical student. I remember one time when the Ophthalmology 1st year resident asked his advice about something!!! 😱
Although he was a medical student like me, I never viewed him as such...He was functioning as an Ophthalmology resident, even when he was a medical student!

Congratulations Deval!
 
MD Dreams said:
I just saw the 2006 match list last night for SGU. I was very surprised and elated. I couldn't believe some of the residencies which some of our colleagues landed:

1 person neurosurgery at UTSW 😱
2 people ophthalmology
1 person ENT
3-4 Radiology
1 person Dermatology 😱 😱 😱
Whole bunch of Emergency Med
Whole bunch of Anesthesiology

Congrats to you all.

I'm in the process of scheduling electives and I can tell you that there is still a fare amount of discrimination from various programs. Perhaps, this will be a subtle message that just because we come from the islands, we are in no way less qualified.

Best of luck in whatever specialty you choose.
Yes its a very good match list,while the numbers matched for competitive specialties are small relative to the size of the class It does show that the SGU education is highly respected and can open many doors,and that any specialty is possible if you are good enough.