You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Congrats to everyone who just matched.
Started by HarveyCushing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Got my #1. Thank Jesus!
Congrats everyone
Congrats everyone
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else disappointed with their match? I got my #4 and was not expecting this...
Don't want to put salt in an open wound for you, but if you read over the SOAP thread you should feel fortunate you matched as many great applicants didn't and had to SOAP and even then some didn't find positions in FM/IM/peds. (not saying you weren't a great applicant)
Assuming you only ranked places you wanted to be at, what is wrong with #4? Would you rather have matched at #5 or #6? You will still become a neurologist. 🙂
Last edited:
Is anyone else disappointed with their match? I got my #4 and was not expecting this...
Were your top 3 pretty competitive places?
got number 7 eeep! I'm still getting used to it but overall just happy I matched. I have heard some horror stories out there about not even matching during the SOAP. My programs weren't super competitive, but you have to remember there are avg only 4-5 spots in these programs. Sometimes ranking preference goes to those who are at the home institution or people stating that place is their number one even if stats are similar. Got a decent program and location was more of the issue..happy my dream is still coming true. Congrats to everyone who matched somewhere!
Were your top 3 pretty competitive places?
Yep, my top 3 were super competitive (places like Hopkins and Partners)...
#1: UC Irvine
Congrats to everyone else that matched!
Congrats to everyone else that matched!
Got #1 ! University of Cincinnati.
Just out of curiosity what made you rank Baylor #1? I interviewed there and came out of that experience questioning what their program was honestly like.
Just out of curiosity what made you rank Baylor #1? I interviewed there and came out of that experience questioning what their program was honestly like.
Well, several factors came into play. I enjoyed my visit to the program, the facilities are awesome, I resonated with the residents and the staff, residents seemed very happy, fellowships in almost all subspecialties, and I see that Baylor graduates can go almost anywhere.
I'm a "stroke guy", and I believe I would have matched with Uo Cincinatti (pioneers in thrombolysis...) - I was divided between this place and Baylor. I guess the climate and the culture won me over. Houston is a great place to live IMHO.
Also, I should note that since I'm an IMG, albeit with 269/264 on the steps, I couldn't just pick and choose between programs. Needless to say, I didn't even apply to UCLA, Stanford etc... I was put on hold by Hopkins and Cleveland Clinic, but didn't make it any further than that. Too bad, as I saw a lot of AMG's go there with just average creds... Not wanting to start a discussion here 😉
@furmangrd08: Congrats! I interviewed there in November - it's a great place, the PD is awesome!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I think everyone just gets a different feel when they interview at these institutions. Baylor was pushing how strong their Neuro ICU program is and I definitely agree that the facilities are awesome (medical city lends itself to great training). I felt similarly about Cincinnati which is why I ranked them first, only I felt like I fit in great there in addition to very much enjoying the cold weather that they get for a fourth of the year whereas Houston is just as hot as the city in which I currently live. As far as the board scores/AMG vs IMG etc. I really do not care and honestly that is irrelevant when you get to the interview stage IMHO since you are all on an even playing field when you step through the door at the universities (per many PDs at the interview sessions).
Got my #1 as well!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 5K