Connecticut Pharmacist Requirements Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sammy15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI, can anyone tell me what CT requires for pharmacist licensure? Obviously PharmD, and pass the NAPLEX, but does anyone know how many hours rotation/how many can come from your school rotation, etc. (Going to school out of state) Or if not do you know a good web site I can look it up? I've done some searches and I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

The requirements would be listed in the state's pharmacy practice act, which can be accessed online at the board of pharmacy for each state. Below is the section from the Connecticut Board of Pharmacy Practice Act:
Sec. 20-576-8. Registration of pharmacy interns
(a) As used in this section: "pharmacy intern" has the meaning given to this term by Section
20-571 of the General Statutes; "intern training pharmacy" means a Connecticut pharmacy or an
institutional pharmacy approved by the commission, providing training for a pharmacy intern in
contemporary pharmacy practice; and "pharmacy intern preceptor" means a Connecticut pharmacist
supervising a pharmacy intern.
(b) The professional experience required by section 20-590 of the General Statutes shall
consist of the satisfactory fulfillment of a series of objectives approved by the commission,
completed during fifteen hundred clock hours as a registered pharmacy intern. No more than 40
clock hours may be obtained in any one week. The professional experience may be obtained by
completing any combination of the following:
(1) work in a Connecticut pharmacy or an institutional pharmacy approved by the
commission;
(2) an educational experiential program established and monitored by a school or college of
pharmacy accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education and approved by the
commission;
(3) an out of state practical experience program approved by the appropriate licensing
agency in the state wherein the experience is attained; or
(4) an industrial, research or other professional experience program established by a school
or college of pharmacy accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education and
approved by the commission. Hours accumulated under this subdivision shall be limited to a
maximum of 400 hours.
(c) The following requirements shall apply only to experience hours acquired by a
pharmacy intern working in a Connecticut pharmacy or institutional pharmacy approved by the
commission:
(1) No pharmacy intern preceptor shall supervise the training of more than one pharmacy
intern at any one time;
(2) A pharmacy intern preceptor's statement supplied by the department shall be completed
and signed by the preceptor and the intern, certifying that the stated hours and content of the
professional experience are true;
(3) The pharmacy intern shall within five days of the event, notify the commission of any of
the following changes in his internship training:
(A) the commencement of his internship training;
(B) a change in the place of supervision;
(C) a change of the pharmacy intern preceptor;
(D) a change in the hours of supervision; or
(E) cessation of supervision; and
(4) The department shall issue to each pharmacy intern, registering in accordance with
section 20-598 of the General Statutes, an identification number and card except to those individuals
obtaining internship training in an out of state practical experience program approved by the
licensing agency in the state wherein the experience is attained.

Im sure the answer is in the above post concearning hours...1500 right? All my hours came from my rotations and I didnt need to report any. I went to MCP BOSTON - but practice in CT.

To practice you need:

PharmD
Pass Naplex
Pass Law
Interview with board of pharmacy (everyone passes unless you speak 0 english)
Calculations exam (I heard last year [my year] was the final group of new grads that would be required to take it) Check with the state board.

Im sure the answer is in the above post concearning hours...1500 right? All my hours came from my rotations and I didnt need to report any. I went to MCP BOSTON - but practice in CT.

To practice you need:

PharmD
Pass Naplex
Pass Law
Interview with board of pharmacy (everyone passes unless you speak 0 english)
Calculations exam (I heard last year [my year] was the final group of new grads that would be required to take it) Check with the state board.

Thank you both.. I will be attending MCP-Worcester, commuting from CT, and I believe their rotations consist of 1500 hrs total. I was most concerned not all of them would be applicable towards CT hrs required.