Connections and networking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittymeg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have always heard this sentence "Networking is your key! create connections." I understand the meaning behind that but my question is how exactly do you do that?
I have heard that talking to professors is a great place to start but how exactly do you know who to talk to. Do you simply go to your premed advisor and talk? I would truly appreciate everyone's help.
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

What are you trying to accomplish by networking or creating connections? You have to first understand what your goal is before you figure out your course of action.

Reactions: 1 users
What are you trying to accomplish by networking or creating connections? You have to first understand what your goal is before you figure out your course of action.

Well first of all I would like to make connections in order to get more opportunities for internships or certain subjects that will enhance my application for medical school. I am aware that GPA and MCAT scores are a big chunk but I would also like to have these opportunities for personal interest. I would like to expand my horizons you could say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well first of all I would like to make connections in order to get more opportunities for internships or certain subjects that will enhance my application for medical school. I am aware that GPA and MCAT scores are a big chunk but I would also like to have these opportunities for personal interest. I would like to expand my horizons you could say.

Internships at this stage will most likely be acquired through early, broad, and intelligent application (hey, kind of like medical school!). I wouldn't rely on connections to get you those unless you happen to meet a PI or professor who is best buddies with another researcher who they can convince you are good enough to set aside increasingly scarce money to give you an internship.

What do you mean by more opportunities in certain subjects?

The "networking" that is most important for medical school is getting to know professors and PIs/supervisors/etc well enough and make a strong enough positive impression on them that they'll be willing to write you a glowing letter of recommendation.

Internships at this stage will most likely be acquired through early, broad, and intelligent application (hey, kind of like medical school!). I wouldn't rely on connections to get you those unless you happen to meet a PI or professor who is best buddies with another researcher who they can convince you are good enough to set aside increasingly scarce money to give you an internship.

What do you mean by more opportunities in certain subjects?

The "networking" that is most important for medical school is getting to know professors and PIs/supervisors/etc well enough and make a strong enough positive impression on them that they'll be willing to write you a glowing letter of recommendation.

Your last sentence was exactly what I was looking for, I mean internships as in a summer program at a company etc.. in order to add to my EC'S. What I want to know is how do you meet those certain people?

Your last sentence was exactly what I was looking for, I mean internships as in a summer program at a company etc.. in order to add to my EC'S. What I want to know is how do you meet those certain people?

The very first time, you either have to serendipitously know someone or you have to apply to a bunch of places and hope for the best. After you have your first internship, it generally gets easier to transition to successive ones, since you have a foothold (however small) in the field.

The very first time, you either have to serendipitously know someone or you have to apply to a bunch of places and hope for the best. After you have your first internship, it generally gets easier to transition to successive ones, since you have a foothold (however small) in the field.

Thank you very much, I see that your status says "Medical student" and I would like to know, according to you what made your application strong? (last question I promise)

Thank you very much, I see that your status says "Medical student" and I would like to know, according to you what made your application strong? (last question I promise)

I had an "above average" application where I did all the normal stuff people did, but I just did them (in my opinion) well. There was nothing intrinsically special about my application and there is nothing super unique about me.

I had an "above average" application where I did all the normal stuff people did, but I just did them (in my opinion) well. There was nothing intrinsically special about my application and there is nothing super unique about me.

Well you got in! which is what counts. I do not know you but I would like to say congratulations and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do.

Some shameless promotion about how to network. Joining pre medical associations and professional groups is a great way because that way you are aware of networking events in the area.

Here is a letter from our National President, check out this opportunity to network with other 70 medical schools and current medical students. Did I mention it was free??

Hello Pre-Health Students!

The Latino Medical Student Association is proud to invite you to our 12th annual National Conference at Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine on Long Island taking place from April 7-9, 2017 (Register Now: lmsa.me/2017NC). We invite you for a conference full of information about applying and planning for medical school, networking opportunities with medical students, residents and faculty, and a multitude of medical workshops ranging from hands-on activities to seminars on health equity and policy.
Due to the overwhelming support from our sponsors, we are now offering free admission for all pre-health student to the National Conference. To receive free admission, you must register as a pre-health student with LMSA.net ($15.00, sign up here to become a lifetime pre-health member of LMSA with access to all LMSA mentorship, outreach and scholarship opportunities). This will drop your price for a ticket from $115.00 to $0.00. Upon arrival at our registration table at Hofstra, you will be reimbursed via check for your LMSA Membership making the conference and membership free for all pre-health attendees. If you have already registered as pre-health student, you will also be reimbursed for all conference and membership fees!
We have 70 different medical schools programs from across the country attending our exhibition fair that will be vying for your attention and giving out contact information!
To learn more about LMSA, how you can get involved in your community, and to register for our annual conference, visit our website, lmsa.me/2017NC. Space is filling fast so please be sure to register early. If you have any questions, contact us at [email protected].
Sincerely,

Eric Rodolfo Molina
National President | 2016-2017
Latino Medical Student Association
M.D. Candidate | Baylor College of Medicine MSTP
Ph.D. Candidate | Rice University Department of Bioengineering
B.S. Stanford University 2011
[email protected]

@Dito22 Is it going to be a packed house?
MgvcZs1.png

Reactions: 1 users
policy 11.jpg
Policy 22.jpg
Policy 33.jpg
Oh you mean this 2016 LMSA Policy co-hosted with the AAMC??? What were you doing on that day??

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a big advocate for seeking people out directly. I'm off campus this semster working in a department of neurosurgery with a couple neurosurgery-oncologists. I got this because I kept sending out emails to doctors with active clinical trials until one bit. Go out and get what you want yourself. But @WedgeDawg is right. You need a specific goal, not just "I want more opportunities." Think research or an internship.

@Sardinia You don't have to be Latino. Did I mention we will have a DA VINCI robot you can play with?

I posted this promo video on youtube just to show you how awesome this event will be. Seriously, premeds in the Northeast region, you need to be there.

Reactions: 1 user