Networking for Interviews? and Update letters/LOCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis_bioinform

Reaction score
Is "networking" for an interview invite a thing? Are there any *hidden* (or lesser known) tricks to perhaps getting AdComs' attention to your app? I was thinking of reaching out to & networking with current medical students on LinkedIn but not sure how fruitful that is....

Or, instead of sending update letters to the general admissions committee email or uploading to the portal like everyone else is, would networking and getting the email of a particular person on a school's AdCom a good idea? not sure if that'd be well-received or not...

any advice/tips/stories about networking for an II essentially?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few close friends who are medical students, even in admissions. My understanding is that many schools have honor codes that prevent this sort of thing. Furthermore, I got a letter of recommendation from an admissions commitee member and they were vocal about how they would not be able to participate in the review of my app in certain aspects.

Also, for what it’s worth I have not been invited to interview at the letter writer’s institution. The best thing to do is put maximum effort into your app, because your app is something you have control over. Once you submit it’s a mix of patience and good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
No, fishing for an II won't work at best, and at worst may get your application tossed out.

Strong statistics, PS, and secondary essays (when applicable) that fit their mission are the best ways to get their attention. Other than that, just wait.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Aggressive applicants are viewed askance.
We have had applicants cold-call students and faculty with whom they had little acquaintance.
The students, in particular, did not appreciate this and reported it to the committee.
"Networking," if it has any effect at all, should be accomplished well before the application.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Is "networking" for an interview invite a thing? Are there any *hidden* (or lesser known) tricks to perhaps getting AdComs' attention to your app? I was thinking of reaching out to & networking with current medical students on LinkedIn but not sure how fruitful that is....

Or, instead of sending update letters to the general admissions committee email or uploading to the portal like everyone else is, would networking and getting the email of a particular person on a school's AdCom a good idea? not sure if that'd be well-received or not...

any advice/tips/stories about networking for an II essentially?
Advice? Don't waste your time.

Reactions: 1 user
@toastedbutter didn't this work for Duke?
Not networking with an adcom member, no. The person I got into touch with was a prominent research faculty and (on their own without my asking) decided to send an email in on my behalf. I think a gesture like that has merit while fishing for an adcoms email and trying to make their acquaintance would probably just annoy someone imo!

I did network pretty heavily with an adcom at CCLCM who was really kind but they did make it clear they will not review my app there or participate in my interview. But rather than networking it was more meeting with them to gain feedback on my app before applying, which is an opportunity CCLCM offers in certain circumstances (unlike most other programs).