Connections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoeDaMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys recently noticed that half the pple in this board claim they have connections to insiders in the medical school machinery? :D

I am not making fun of anyone. I think it is really good that pple have made those connections...

like some pple here said something to the effect and I paraphrase...."my buddy the Dean was rereading my personal statement and this is what he/she told me to improve on"

or other pple say something like "yah, I spoke to my friends who are on the board, and they said the essay is super duper importna" or something to the effect of "yah my friend in the medical board committee said, amcas is behind a week?" ;) :D

it makes me think? remember, that saying, it is not what you know, it is WHO u know....I know pple have gotten in just on the basis of connections..

Of course, I am not putting anyone down on this website, you could be absolutely smart, kick ass grades and still have connections, and still be qualified for any top notch school....

but I am beginning to think that it would have been cool to have some kind of "connection" in this whole application process :D ;) that is my 2 cents, hope I don't get hate mail for it :)

hmm, maybe I hsould have dated the dean's dauthter.... :D

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by MoeDaMan:
•hmm, maybe I hsould have dated the dean's dauthter.... :D

That could be a double-edged sword. ;) I guess if you did, you had better play nice. :)

I wonder how much connections really matter anyway? I persoally do know some people involved in medicine personally, but have always been under the impression that things like this, while they do not hurt, often do not help as much as people think. I am sure it would be nice as far as getting great rec letters from high places, but I don't think things like "Excuse me Mr. Head of our schools ADCOM, I think it would be in your best interest to let LibraTN into our matriculating class" happen very often, but maybe I'm wrong.

Connections can help alot! However, I am not ignoring the fact that one must have some decent stats. The connections can shed more light and attention to your application in a pool of applicants that reach the thousands and are all very qualified for medicine. If you can, why not make the effort to get to know someone who can help you out? I wish I did. Maybe it would have made the process much easier for me.