Consensus on including recent life events in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aakashp127

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I have been to 2 funerals in less than a week this week (1 was a loved family member from cancer, the other was a friend who committed suicide). I know this just happened recently so it wouldn't really be the reasons I wanted to do medicine or become a doctor, but these really confirmed my interest and desire to ultimately become a physician, adding further motivation and enforcing my goal. They really taught me the value of life and how to be a better person and more appreciative, and always try to be a positive factor in the lives of everyone you meet and everything you do. Would it be a bad idea to include something about them in my PS because they are so recent? They happened in the middle of me writing my application. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry for your loss. Attending two funerals in such a short time must be pretty difficult.

As far as writing about this in your PS, I don't see it being problem. Just make it clear that these events were reinforcers of your desire to be a physician, not creators. Also, if you're going to talk about the quality of medical care for the two people who passed away, don't speak negatively about their doctors. I've seen that in other personal statements and it almost never works out well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry for your loss. Attending two funerals in such a short time must be pretty difficult.

As far as writing about this in your PS, I don't see it being problem. Just make it clear that these events were reinforcers of your desire to be a physician, not creators. Also, if you're going to talk about the quality of medical care for the two people who passed away, don't speak negatively about their doctors. I've seen that in other personal statements and it almost never works out well.

Thanks a lot, and yes I do not want to talk negatively at any health care professional as that would seem rather condescending to the profession that I hope to be in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say I am so, so sorry. *hugs*

I am so sorry for your losses. :(

I'm going to be honest and say since the events were so recent I would not put them in the PS. In my opinion you can't say you've really learned something until you put some distance between yourself and what happened. I would definitely bring it up in secondaries or interviews (if you feel comfortable).

Are these things that have made you who you are? If I know about them, do I know "Who is AAK"? Have they influenced your path to medicine?

If not, then it's not worth mentioning. The PS is not meant to be a "woe is me" essay.

However, weaving in this thought around the fragility of life "They really taught me the value of life and how to be a better person and more appreciative, and always try to be a positive factor in the lives of everyone you meet and everything you do" would be OK.

Recently, I have been to 2 funerals in less than a week this week (1 was a loved family member from cancer, the other was a friend who committed suicide). I know this just happened recently so it wouldn't really be the reasons I wanted to do medicine or become a doctor, but these really confirmed my interest and desire to ultimately become a physician, adding further motivation and enforcing my goal. Would it be a bad idea to include something about them in my PS because they are so recent? They happened in the middle of me writing my application. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Recently, I have been to 2 funerals in less than a week this week (1 was a loved family member from cancer, the other was a friend who committed suicide). I know this just happened recently so it wouldn't really be the reasons I wanted to do medicine or become a doctor, but these really confirmed my interest and desire to ultimately become a physician, adding further motivation and enforcing my goal. They really taught me the value of life and how to be a better person and more appreciative, and always try to be a positive factor in the lives of everyone you meet and everything you do. Would it be a bad idea to include something about them in my PS because they are so recent? They happened in the middle of me writing my application. Thanks!

Bolded part good to include. It will not necessarily set you apart from other applicants, however.

Your interviews will not start for another weeks, at least, and could be as much as 8-9 months from now at which point you may be okay to talk about these things. Problems do arise when someone is asked about something in the application and the applicant becomes overcome with emotion and unable to communicate professionally. That leads to questions about one's emotional stability/fragility. Don't add it to the PS if you have any concern about being able to talk about it without breaking down.