Consequence of having AMCAS recalculate your sgpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(I'll be applying next year) I'm a biomedical engineering major, so a lot of my classes may fit under the "biotechnology" category of biology for BCPM gpa. If I were to pick and choose the classes I want to count towards my sgpa, what would happen if AMCAS decides to recalculate it for me? My biggest concern is that it could delay verification? Would it?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't get to pick and choose what classes go where. As you know, Biotech does fit under BCMP and it's not really left up to ambiguity.

You can try to "game" the verification team, but if they catch too many mistakes, they will send it back to you for correction and will delay your application. They could also punish you and put you in the back of the verification line if they see you're trying to change the classification towards your benefit and it wasn't just a simple mistake.

They don't put you in the back of the verification line and it has to be over 10 mistakes for them to return it to you. Every bioengineering class that I counted as BCPM, they accepted. I left the electrical and mechanical engineering heavy classes as engineering, but for a lot of the biology heavy engineering classes, they could go either way. It's up to you.

Just to clear things up, re-classifying a course does not count as one of the 10 mistakes you are allotted. The 10 mistakes are mainly for omissions of courses. They can re-classify all of your courses and it will not result in it being bounced back to you.